Do I disregard the Star Wars content?

any gameplay related general discussions that are not questions or help go in this forum

Do I disregard the Star Wars content?

Postby Tilarta » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:13 am

Disney Infinity 3.0 arrived at my EBGames a day early and since I was in the store, I decided to pick up my preordered items.

While I was talking to the sales clerk, I asked about the possibility of Expanded Universe Star Wars characters being made available in the future.
The answer I recieved that Disney had made the decision never to endorse that line of franchising, to the point of declaring it non-canon and therefore, it was never going to be part of Disney Infinity 3.0.

So considering the character (Mara Jade) I want most is from the Expanded Universe and by that reasoning, I am never likely to see her in the game at all, should I just ignore anything related to Star Wars and focus on the Marvel/Disney parts of the game instead?

rank_250
Tilarta
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Re: Do I disregard the Star Wars content?

Postby wherestron » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:31 am

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got" - Sheryl Crow
Cheers,
wherestron
---
Add me on PSN, XBL, iOS and Twitter: @wherestron

rank_250
wherestron
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Goofyboy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:20 pm

If you do, you'll miss some amazing playset and figures. Infinity has nothing to do with this and they just won't be able to make ANY figures based on non-cannon stuff. Disney wanted a clean and understandable slate to have more liberty creating the 6 movies, Rebels and the new comic series.

So basically, Star Wars only exists in these "cannon" content:
The 6 movies (plus the 6 new ones of course)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars: Rebel

For all intent and purposes, the rest doesn't exist anymore. And don't worry, I wished they haven't done this because the Thrawn trilogy was some amazing books in my opinion too!

rank_250
Goofyboy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:40 pm

I might have been more open to the idea of playing the Star Wars content if I got to play Sabine Wren right from the start of each playset.

The way I usually cope with them not providing one of my favorites is to find someone else I want to play and use them exclusively.
Unfortunately, judging from the research I did, Sabine Wren is not innately playable, you have to use another character to get her unlocked (with a SW unlock coin) in the playset.
Based on my experience with the Unlock Coins in DI2.0, I'd most likely end up playing half the playset before I actually get the coin!
That's no fun at all, missing out on half the playset with her because she was locked out.

If you are wondering why I chose Sabine, I'm not really into characters who use the Force, I prefer to use normal sci-fi weapons and (according to her description), she meets those requirements, fighting with lasers and bombs.

I wonder if we might get a Star Wars Rebels playset (which you could play with SW instantly), but past releases haven't been good in that area, I can't specifically recall any playsets that were released after the initial launch of each version.

Thrawn is my favorite Star Wars villian, it's a shame we won't get to see him.
And yes, that Trilogy was indeed amazing!

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Goofyboy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:30 pm

I would be surprised if we don't get a Rebels playset down the road. Will it be in 3.0, not sure.

I found the Zeb coin very quickly (only played 1-2 hours) in the Twilight of the Republic playset if that can help you decide. Can't remember where it was, but it was hard to miss. At least, this time, you only need 1 coin to play the character, not 10. But in those 2 hours, I only found Darth Maul (which is basically right in your path) and Zeb.

But honestly, in those 2 hours, I really had the SW feel. Other than a subpar mission where you have to drive around in a fly car, I liked the experience. The lightsaber combat is really well refined and interesting.

Also, you can redo most of the missions to get the stars. One of them needs Chewbacca to get the 3rd Star so... You can't really have that star right now unless you got the Saga Bundle AND the coin in the playset. They built in some replay value, contrary to the Marvel playsets (I don't count the box hunt as replay value).

rank_250
Goofyboy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:09 pm

The lightsaber combat is what I'm trying to avoid, as well as any form of melee combat.
Which is why I'm uncertain about Zeb, according to his description, he swings around an electrically charged technostaff.

And yes, I do realize most of the Star Wars characters in Disney Infinity use lightsabers, so that's going to be an impediment.

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Goofyboy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm

I'm pretty sure Zeb shoots is big gun too. Haven't tried him yet.

There's a couple of figures you'll be able to play with without melee. Han, Chewy, Luke (gun I think), Leia, Kannan also has a gun, Zeb I'm pretty sure, Sabine and I'm sure some of the Force Awakens figures will have good range attacks.

If you are a Star Wars fan and an Infinity fan, I don't see how you could go without playing the playsets... but that's just my opinion! ;)

rank_250
Goofyboy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mukluk4 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Zeb's stick thing is a gun and bo-staff.

rank_100
Mukluk4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:36 am

It's mostly a cost issue.
Each playset costs $40 and there are two remaining Star Wars ones (counting The Force Awakens) I have not purchased.
I think that's a bit much to pay for figures I do not wish to play with.

And as I mentioned above, I don't really want to be forced to use a character I do not find entertaining.
So hypothetically, that adds another $17 to the cost of the playset to purchase someone who appeals to my style of gameplay.

Finn (the Force Awakens) might be a suitable candidate, but I'm waiting until I can confirm more concrete details about his combat methods before deciding if he is worth it.
The information I obtained so far said he has (for some reason) a lightsaber and if this means he is a Force user, that disqualifies him from consideration.
On the flipside, if he only uses his gun, then I'll consider him suitable.
I still don't think this is a solution, since I'm assuming he'll run into the same roadblock as Sabine, finding the coin to unlock him for non-native playsets.

Ideally, I'd love to have an R2-D2 playable (which could be used in all playsets), but I doubt that will ever happen due to his lack of combat ability.

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity gameplay related general discussions