Do I disregard the Star Wars content?

any gameplay related general discussions that are not questions or help go in this forum

Re: Do I disregard the Star Wars content?

Postby Skellington0327 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:03 pm

It sounds like it's best you just buy the figures you like but skip 3.0. Or wait until they release the marvel and Disney playset and just buy the digital version. There's a lot of great stuff in 3.0 but I feel like you'd really be missing out on the full experience if you didn't get the Star Wars stuff. But at the end of the day, if your favourite character isn't in the game and you don't care about the other characters, then it's pointless to get them. I can say that I've played with characters I didn't care about/know anything about and have come to really enjoy them. I didn't know anything about Ahsoka but now she's my most used SW character.

I don't know about Rebels characters but Leia, Han, Boba Fett and Chewie have blasters and Luke also has a blaster so you wouldn't have to use his lightsaber. So you could at least play the Rise Against the Empire playset and while you're playing that you can find the coins for the rebel figures that use guns.
"The past can hurt, but the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it." - Rafiki

"You must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from, your only limit is your soul." - Gusteau (Ratatouille)

rank_500
Skellington0327
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BlackWidow » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:09 am

The information you were given is only partially true, and the conclusion incorrect.

Under the new Story Group guidelines, at this time, the EU is not canon. This is obviously because the current films would not be possible if they held to the EU (which is almost all novel- and/or comic-based) content.

However, that does not mean that it all has disappeared and been banned. Simply that it is not canon that new media has to hold to.

They have also specifically said, and already begun, to mine the EU of the "best" ideas and characters and they have and will continue to do so. They just aren't beholden to it, but they are free to pick and choose what to include in the new timeline. One example has been the new comics (which are canon) bringing in a former paramour of Han Solo pre-ANH from the EU.

It is widely speculated that the biggest reason they have gone out of their way to say that while it's not canon, that doesn't mean individual things can't be decided to be made canon or worked back in if it's needed/wanted, is Mara Jade. There is even rampant speculation that she will appear somewhere in the new film trilogy.

In any case, I'm not sure of her chances of being part of DI are good or bad, it's difficult to tell where she ranks with so many available characters (though I do think she gets additional probability points simply from being female, as there are not a tremendous list of named females). If it makes you feel any better, in any case, DI has already proven to be the "exception" to a lot of mandates Lucasfilm has had post-Disney, including the downplaying of the prequels (which were obviously so played up with DI). Technically, there is already some EU stuff in DI (when it comes to origins/names of things that never were in films).

TL;DR? While I wouldn't guarantee that Mara will be made, any more than I would any other character at this point, if you like Star Wars - then you need to be playing this, it's really awesome. :)

rank_100
BlackWidow
Main Console: Wii U

Postby TheEAB » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:35 pm

I'd advise you to play with Ezra, you can get his coin pretty quickly (Tatooine), he has a blaster and a lightsaber, so you can activate force-requiring terminals while only using the blaster.
Why such a hatred of lightsabers? They're so cool!!

rank_100
TheEAB
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Maserati777 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't know anything about Star Wars other then what is said in DI. But I can say without a doubt guns are the best weapon in DI, with lightsabers you have to be right by the villain and you can only do one attack at a time, meaning you get hit multiple times. With a gun you can stand back, you are automatically aimed at the villain and you can endlessly shoot them. I think shooting does the most damage as well. In DI you definitely need both though,for one thing you have to use a lightsabers to open doors, meanwhile you need a gun to shoot certain targets.

Also to keep in mind if you die, you must place another character on the base, you don't respawn, so it'd be very difficult to play an entire playset with one character. As said though there are lots of characters who use guns, Han Solo, Leia who is in the starter pack. Though I am in Hoth right now And have not seen Sabines coin, some coins are hidden in taverns that aren't required to break...

In 2.0 I just bought the characters I liked, mainly because the playlets got terrible reviews. I bought 3.0 for the experience, to be intorduced to Star Wars, i'm not going to watch any Star Wars films now because of DI, I still couldn't careless for the franchise and to be honest I think the hub makes up for the playsets. I don't think you even need to play the playsets to enjoy the other features, to be honest you don't even need to build toy boxes.

rank_250
Maserati777
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby BandAid » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:03 pm

I'm pretty sure they said Finn's gun is the most powerful weapon in 3.0 at D23, and his figure is holding a gun, not a ligthsaber. So I'm guessing he will be quite suited for range attacks.

rank_50
BandAid

Postby HalfBlackRazorback » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:17 am

Is Star wars really that difficult? I seemed to be breezing through Marvel

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rank_0
HalfBlackRazorback
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby Tilarta » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:00 am

With me, it is not about the difficulty, but the play value.
If I am not having fun, then there is no reason to commit time to a playset.

A big part of that is playing with a fun character (Sabine) who, from all accounts, isn't automatically playable until most of the playset has been completed.
I remember how frustrating it was playing the Guardians playset with just Groot (he was the only Guardian figure I had) until I could unlock Iron Man and that is not an experience I want to repeat.

Also, I don't enjoy using the force or lightsabers, most of the Star Wars characters do.

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby JustNCredible » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:00 am

You don't enjoy using the force or lightsabers!? I smell a Trekky Lol. In which case, you should have just gone with the 3.0 Toy Box digital download. And if you usually like to find one character to play as, and solely focus on one character, Disney Infinity may not be for you. The whole game is built around utilizing many characters; which is when some people complain that DI is a money-grabbing machine. Even my own wallet and I sometimes argue that point lol.

But I feel your pain. To me, The Knights of The Old Republic I & II games are the single greatest stories ever told in the Star Wars universe. I enjoy them more so than any Star Wars film; yet I know I'll never get a Darth Nihilus figure (one of my favorite characters from anything). But I still love all Star Wars stuff, so I still enjoy these games very much. honestly, I love the lightsaber combat; probably the best outside the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy game.
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Tilarta » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 am

Guilty as charged.
I am a Trekky. ;)
Oddly, I am a sword fan and my most played Star Trek game has a one handed sword, which I obviously use and enjoy doing so.

I suppose my main issue with lightsabers is they're not a real sword, as in they don't have a solid blade.
I guess the same rule applies to the Force, if you're going to toss enemies around with your mind, use actual mental powers, not an imitation thereof.

I don't like the digital download version of the game, I prefer the console/PS4 version.

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity gameplay related general discussions