3DS Gameplay

any gameplay related general discussions that are not questions or help go in this forum

3DS Gameplay

Postby applegadget » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:49 pm

I purchased the 3DS version of the game and here are my initial impressions.

1) Do have a + shaped screwdriver and 3x AAA batteries to be able to power up the base. There are no wires to connect to the console, and works via infrared. VERY troublesome to add new characters as you need to aim the back of the 3ds to the base and hit "Scan"

2) The base only has 2 slots. One for the playset piece (Transparent one), one for figures. However, once you successfully "scanned" one figure, its stored in the game. You dont have to have the base around anymore.

3) Multiplayer is through wireless. No turn by turn.

4) Gameplay: Very similar to mario party. You select your team, which will be Mr incredible, Sulley, and Capt. jack if you only bought the starter kit. You then play in a boardgame like map. There will be 3 opposing teams. Each team rolls a dice and moves the specified number of steps. You will land on spaces which will either allow you to compete in minigames and win emblems, or have some gold coins etc. There will be an objective for the map, and once completed, the team with the most emblems will win the map.

5)There are MANY minigames, and I have repeated only 2 minigames since starting 1 hour ago.

My overall opinion? I'm a little disappointed by the 3DS variant, most likely because it is VERY different from the other consoles. The starter kit on the 3ds version clearly states "Toy Box Challenge", which is a clear indication that its different from the others. However, my qualm is that the marketing team has made it seem that the 3ds version will not vary too much from the other versions. From my experience of looking at the Wii U in-game demo, the 3DS variant is almost a different game, apart from the fact that they use the same figurines.

I hope readers can take this as just an initial impression of an excited gamer. I am still stoked about the future releases of playsets. I only own a 3ds, which made my choice very clear. However, if given a choice, I would pick the ps3 xbox and wiiU version over this.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you are deciding to get the 3DS one. One reason for starting an account and posting this is because there is a severe lack of information about the 3DS gameplay, and I think this may be misleading to buyers.

**Update**

After 3 maps, I just wanna update that the game does have additional layers of game play, instead of just being a Mario Party copy. You have to level up your characters, thereby upgrading various stats. In your team of 3, you are bound to have characters that are strong in certain stats. For example, Jack Sparrow is a strong "Jumper". Thus, in jumping minigames, you get a significant advantage as compared to the AI characters. When you encounter a Jumping minigame, you can choose which character to use from your team of 3. Incredible and Sulley are "Strength" characters. I would assume that Dash and McQueen would be "Speed" based, while Tonto would be a "Shooter/Accuracy". Of cos, these are my guesses. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

**Update 2**

Here are some images. Hope they help.

http://imgur.com/a/UDkMp
applegadget
Main Console: Xbox 360

Re: 3DS Gameplay

Postby Ignohippo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Wow. It sounds like a completely different game. Good to know, but they should have called it something different. You would think that you'de be buying a variation of the main game, which this sounds nothing like.

Skylanders on the DS is a little different than the console version, but it's the same basic gameplay. This sounds nothing like the console versions of DI.

So what do the playsets do? Do they just open a new environment to play the Mario Party-type game?

rank_100
Ignohippo
Main Console: PS4

Postby applegadget » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:04 pm

^Yeah its a bummer that it's so different. The bright side for me is that I dived into this for a personal collection of these figurines. I'll still miss the playbox mode though.
I believe that additional playsets will indeed unlock more maps. I'm into the second map now. The first is based on the incredibles storyline, 2nd is based on pirates. The third one, which is locked for now, seems to be from monsters inc, but I'll need to complete map 2 first to confirm.
applegadget

Postby Infinityfan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm so glad I got the Xbox version I feel sorry for you :(

rank_2000_ftb
Infinityfan
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby D-infinity13 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Yeah, though JSYK the 3ds version wasn't exactly disney infinity, it was disney infinity toy box challenge.
-D-infinity13
Proud Xbox 360 DI owner. DISNEY INFINITY FTW!

rank_1500
D-infinity13
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Spleenzorio » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:59 pm

My girlfriend used her Rapunzel's Birthday Skydome Power Disc on her 3DS version and it unlocked a die to use, and by the looks of it there are lots of different dice so they must all have a different effect on the gameplay.
Spleenzorio
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby applegadget » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:04 pm

Update so far, I've completed 3 maps, and even though I only scanned the starter kit, I can play the Cars map. Up next is probably the lone ranger map. I have yet to try what do the power discs do. Like what Spleenzorio said, there are many dice to unlock.
applegadget

Postby wreckitsugarsweet101 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 am

i thought it was a rpg 3d platformer

rank_100
wreckitsugarsweet101

Postby PocketGoddess » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Thank you AppleGadget, this makes me feel much better. I have the PS3 version on the way, but also wanted to pick up the 3DS version today to take with me on a business trip next week. Sounds like it's an enjoyable game with some surprises to discover, and at least it isn't *awful* as I feared. Now I know what I'm getting myself into, and that the game is fully portable once characters are "scanned" with the base--though I can't believe that the batteries aren't included!

rank_50
PocketGoddess
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity gameplay related general discussions