Lots of work and no reward !!!

any gameplay related general discussions that are not questions or help go in this forum

Re: Lots of work and no reward !!!

Postby Modeltrainman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Wait for the PC version? I'm getting that, Lord willing. Both(?) of them.
Avalanche Software is the best game dev!
Avalanche's #1 Fan

Lotso Rex
Modeltrainman
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Hey37Bulldog » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:42 pm

there is that. so long as its not win8 exclusive i'll be getting the PC version. better get back on topic before the sheriff comes.
"After all, I am You Biggest Fan..."

rank_250
Hey37Bulldog
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Modeltrainman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:11 pm

I was meaning the supposed disc/base Starter version, too. Anyway, Infinity is very rewarding. Anyway, I'm surprised by all the "limited/what's the point/no reward/don't like the TB" threads, The TB is very important.
Avalanche Software is the best game dev!
Avalanche's #1 Fan

Lotso Rex
Modeltrainman
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Hey37Bulldog » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 pm

really, the toy box is the core of infinity. if you're not into the toy box elements of the game, not meaning to be rude, but why did you buy it?
"After all, I am You Biggest Fan..."

rank_250
Hey37Bulldog
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby ntnon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 pm

I see no reason people can't enjoy Infinity without the Toybox - compare it to a computer, and the playsets to games. You could easily buy a computer JUST to play games, and never use it for any other purpose.

Yes, many people would say you're missing out - and I agree that you miss out if you ignore the Toybox. But I can understand it, perhaps because I'm fairl useless at building anything interesting!

What I don't understand is - with all the many missions, side-missions, challenges, unlockables and wandering - how the playsets can become boring?!

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby LeiaOrgana » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:45 pm

I think that, knowing it was going to be just the first edition, they spent most of the development resources on the engine itself and the toy box construct. Rewards, meta-game (aside from building, etc.), leveling, and so on are extremely basic.

Character leveling, for example, is only to give you more spins. There is no other benefit besides the color of your statue, and even that doesn't change after 10. They don't get more powerful, gain abilities, etc. And collecting all those little sparks is a LOT of work if you do it without the "fan trick". I used the fan trick on all my characters, just because it's basically grinding otherwise, and there really isn't a lot of sense of accomplishment in earning a single spin for each level. So I don't feel like I missed out on anything by "power leveling".

I think we will see these aspects become deeper in the next version and subsequent editions.

rank_250
LeiaOrgana

Postby Nibelilt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 pm

I had a lot of fun during my run throughs of the play sets. I don't get why people aren't liking them much. They aren't as bad as some people are saying, while they have a lot of problems, they also do a lot of stuff really well. Maybe it's just more exciting for me since I haven't seen some of the play sets' movies, or not in a long time, though.

But I think there's not a great sense of reward for levelling. Levelling itself isn't much fun, either.
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby ntnon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:03 pm

I don't really pay any attention to levels and levelling... If it happens, it happens. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to change much, so I focus on the game instead..!

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Previous

Return to Disney Infinity gameplay related general discussions