PvP Character Tier List

any gameplay related general discussions that are not questions or help go in this forum

Re: PvP Character Tier List

Postby Jack Frost » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 am

@SugarGuyWrecker:

Well, like Woody7850 said, I think it's a matter of choice at this point. Our lists are vastly different in the fact that our character testing is vastly different. My list involves the usage of packs/tools in combat (the biggest of these being the Paintball Gun) whereas Woody7850's does not. It all depends on how you want to play. I think items add a degree of diversity and a whole new level of strategy and tactics to the PvP arena. Woody7850 believes that the characters abilities and the characters abilities alone are what should define a tier list and if packs/tools must be included, they must be standardized. (I don't want to put words in your mouth, but this is just what I've gathered from what you've said so far)I don't think the matter of "more accurate" is something that you can really put on the table. The differences in character testing sets our lists in two relatively different worlds.

@Woody7850:

I don't think your comparison with items in SSB tournaments to packs/tools in DI is very accurate. In SSB, the items lend unfair advantages to the character that is able to get to the item first and use it against their opponent. However, in DI, both players have EQUAL access to ALL the items. Think the goo shrinker is unfair? Fine, use it on me and then we'll both be small and on even playing fields. Think the invisibility device is annoying? Very well, turn invisible yourself! No player is at a disadvantage because their opponent was on the side of the field the Pokeball fell on and was able to summon Kyogre before you could contemplate a counter attack. Both players can come out of the gates firing paintball guns or one can be ducking lasers while the other is swerving around toilet paper rolls, but at any time any player can switch what packs/tools they're using. (I would recommend not switching when your opponent is in the immediate vicinity :P)

Even transport tools, such as the Jetpack or Hoverboard aren't all that broken as they seem to have an impeccable knack for making their user an easy target. More often than not, I've found that the hoverboard has been the death of me rather than a life bringing method of escape. If your opponent is prone to flying over open spaces with the star command jetpack, then take advantage of the time given to you by maybe turning invisible or switching your weapons around. Neither of you are winning when you're not attacking and it's to no one's advantage to avoid conflict when at full health.
----------
I'm planning a rather big update to the OP with some adjustments to character analysis' and the tier list as more characters have been purchased and tested in addition to new performances by characters already on the list.

rank_100_ftb
Jack Frost
Main Console: PS4

Postby Woody7850 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Good point, but the invisibility should still be banned because neither opponent can see each other, leading to game stalling.
Reach for the Sky! -Woody

rank_250
Woody7850
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Jack Frost » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41 pm

Preventing game stalling, in the scenario where both players turn invisible, would be easy as you could just make yourself visible and then judge your opponent's position based off of your position on their screen. I sincerely doubt that both players will be content to stand around invisible if they went into the match with the mindset of having fun by actually fighting. I can see how invisibility would need to be limited in online gameplay where you can't see your opponent's screen. (putting a time limit on it, perhaps?)

rank_100_ftb
Jack Frost

Postby Jack Frost » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 pm

The OP has been updated with new info for character analysis', new info on recent tournaments, power disc rules that should've been stated at the beginning, and a new tier list with Davy Jones and Barbossa added as well as other characters shifted around.

rank_100_ftb
Jack Frost

Postby Woody7850 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:49 am

This list should be a matchups thread.

rank_250
Woody7850
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Jack Frost » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:57 am

Why would that be? It makes sense to include a tier list with the other information.

rank_100_ftb
Jack Frost

Postby Woody7850 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Okay, that's it. We need ONE definitive list for Disney Infinity.

Your list focuses more on toys, and my list focuses on technical data. I could use your matchups data to improve my tier, and you could use my advanced techniques. Our lists will become similar, and as the two of us continue with tourneys, we should have our list.

rank_250
Woody7850
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Jack Frost » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Unfortunately, we aren’t likely to reach a definitive list anytime soon. There isn’t an interested party that has the community’s support and esteem that can deliver such a list. DI doesn’t have a smash back room like SSBB, Disney isn’t going to be dealing out a list like Konami does with their Yu-Gi-Oh banlists, and there is not yet a widely accepted player base created group to dish out a list like Smogon is for Pokemon. At this stage, it seems like a majority of the player base has been funneled into the toybox building competitions. I’m not saying that the toybox competitions are bad I’m just saying that’s where a majority of the player base lies.

Furthermore, our lists will never move towards similarity if we keep playing with completely different standards. What we allow for packs/tools is different. Idk how much testing you've done now that you've included packs/tools but if you've played with the paintball gun and still insist that the toy story and MU characters rest firmly at the bottom then I don't see our lists coming together any time soon.

I don't see why we need one list. There isn't a community need for a list because, as far as I know, there isn't a branch of the DI community that partakes in online PvP and is crying out for tier regulations to play within. And, as far as I know, there aren't RL tournaments being set up that would call for one definitive tier list with clear cut rules. It's just not necessary. The fact that there is more than one list is a good thing at this stage as it provokes discussion about the differences in the list and the playing styles of the list creators. For example, you pointed out the dangerousness of the invisibility device and I saw how it would be extremely over powered in an online environment. I don't see how it would be necessary to ban it if you're fighting with someone whose screen you can see but I digress. I pointed out that the items allow for combat diversity and because they're equally available to everyone they aren't unfair; you are now using some items with parameters in place that you feel are necessary. Those are examples of healthy discussion that is generated by the differences in view points.

Idk if you were ever part of the Yu-Gi-Oh community, but how the official list worked was every few months or so Konami, the creator of the game, would update their "banlist" which was a list of all the banned cards, cards you could only use 1 per deck and cards you could only use 2 per deck. Even though the creators of the game would release an official list, the fanbase still created their own. I remember an entire forum section dedicated to banlist discussion and people would post their own versions and explain their choices and then other people would come in and praise those choices or grab pitchforks & torches and form an angry mob. (not saying that's what needs to happen here, that's just how the community worked)

The official list's presence didn't stop people from coming up with their own. Sure, no one played by a fanmade list but people still came up with them, There is no need for a single, definitive list. I think that's the exact opposite of what should be done right now as variety generates more discussion which is really what a PvP section of this community would want. Getting more people interested and involved will be what grows the PvP aspect of this game, not coming up with a definitive list.

Additionally, what do you mean by technical data and advanced techniques? What are you referring to?

rank_100_ftb
Jack Frost

Postby Woody7850 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:21 am

Huh. I guess there really is no competitive community.

And I'm referring to jump cancels to halt your momentum from attacks like Mrs. I's trigger, and button cancels with Ralph where he can hit trigger at any time in his button attack to launch a cherry bomb.

rank_250
Woody7850
XBL ID:
NN ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity gameplay related general discussions