itstimechicken, Disney Infinity Toy Box Artist

Disney Infinity Fans exclusive interviews

itstimechicken, Disney Infinity Toy Box Artist

Postby PirateSteven » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:04 am

On behalf of all of the interested Disney Infinity Fans we asked itstimechicken some questions.

What is your real name?

Mark Deguzman (USA)

What is the origin story of your Toy Box submission username?

I honestly, don’t really know. itstimechicken is just something that popped into my head. I normally make random usernames for different accounts. But I have gotten so much praise from this username that now it is mainly what I use.

What made you decide to buy Disney Infinity?

I love LittleBigPlanet & Minecraft, when I first heard on an IGN article that there was a new game by Disney that would be a blend of the two, I could not wait! However when I saw the trailers, my first reaction was, meh. It didn’t look very good. It wasn't until I saw a YouTube video of GameSpot showing off the toy boxes capabilities that I got excited again.

What is your favorite play set and why?

I enjoy them all, but Toy Story in Space is my favorite. Easily because of the awesome Items you unlock. The story and characters are also pretty good.

Who is your favorite Disney Infinity character and why?

There are a lot of characters I like in Disney Infinity. My favorite though is Buzz Lightyear because of his awesome jet pack and gun, yes they can be played on any character but it just looks so cool on Buzz. A runner up would be Vanellope because her glitch abilities are just amazing.

Which character would you like to see included that hasn't already been and why?

Easy, Stitch. He's just a character that would work well in the game.

What is your favorite power disc and why?

Sky = Wreck-It Ralph Sky
Terrain = All of them.
Car = Mickey’s Car
Weapon = Stitch’s Blaster & Midway Mania Blaster
Circular Disc = Dr. Doofinshmirtz’s Damage-Inator

When you hear of a new challenge, what steps do you take to make your idea for a Toy Box a reality?

For me it’s the usual “Brainstorm, Plan, Build, Test, Name/Describe, Send It”

I guess there are some things I do differently, Is in the testing phase. I friend request all the talented toy box artists on the forum, and make them test it. That way I can get good pointers and suggestions from experts. Other than that though there really isn't much else I do differently than what other people do.

How long did each of your featured Toy Boxes take to build?

Extreme Racing – 1Hour, 26 Minutes
Most Wanted – 10 Hours
Mulan's Race – 7 Hours

What do you consider to be your specialty when building Toy Boxes?

Well, I personally think my specialty is being able to blend gameplay elements together. For example in Mulan's Race, you start by finding a waterfall, once done the game turns into a combat/platforming game, and once you rescue the citizen at the very end you get a racetrack. But I guess since 2 out of 3 of my featured toy boxes are racetracks, that must be what I am known for.

What is your favorite Toy Box that you have built?

All 3 of my featured toy boxes have been milestones for me. Extreme Racing is my very first featured toy box, it also happened to be the shortest toy box build there is out there. Most Wanted in my opinion was my first true win. I also thought it was pretty polished and well designed. But my favorite (of my featured toy boxes) is Mulan's Race, I couldn't believe that I created that Mulan block-art piece, it was pretty cool and one time I forgot I made it and thought PapaEcho made it for me. Also like I mentioned above I liked how I was able to blend different Toy Box gameplay elements together.

Image Image
Image Image

What is your favorite Toy Box that someone else has built?

I personally am a fan of Touch the Light, Pride Lands, Carnival of Love. I also think I Love Halloween is a very underrated toy box, Frozen Hunt was also amazing. But my favorite toybox is Frozen Adventure. I personally love what XShadow produces and hopes he comes back to building toy boxes soon.
@tangled&tron I LOVE your toy boxes, but it’s not one of my favorites, sorry.

What are some of your classic Toy Boxes that have not been a featured top 5 Toy Box?

Way too many! Some highlights include:

Extreme Racing 2.0 – This is one of the few toy boxes I made for fun and I have to say, it looks amazing. It doesn't look like a rushed toy box with no detail. Add a zero to the time it took me to make Extreme Racing to get how many hours I spent on this creation.

Infinity Racers – Infinity Racers is one of my favorite creations I made. That is mainly because of a menu system I incorporated into the toy box, it includes a loading screen, a starting screen & thee actually menu. As a plus I was able to make 5 racetracks.

Offical Princess - This toy box originally started out as a tribute to Frozen Adventure, Got entered into the Aladdin challenge and got in the video then got turned into what it is now.

What is your dream Toy Box challenge?

Anything that would allow me to recycle a toy box.

Please provide some additional details about your Muppets Most Wanted toy box.

I don’t really know much about the Muppets. The only thing that kept popping in my head was the Muppets Attraction in Disneyland & Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I then randomly thought of Constantine, the villain of Muppets: Most Wanted. Then the perfect idea came to me! To do a movie tie-in, I knew it was something that wouldn't be overlooked, because they practically did the Muppets challenge for Muppets Most Wanted. I got to work right away.

The original idea consisted of escaping jail, driving through town, getting to the Muppet Theater and then capturing Constantine. It sounded good, but the meter filled up right away, so I replaced the driving sequence with an abstract town/city and turned it into a basic combat level. Originally the Muppet Stage was supposed to be indoors, and you would have to fight off enemies to open the doors. But the meter was filling up so quickly I just stuck with an outdoor theater.

I thought the level was a bit on the short side and would have loved to add a lot more, but the meter continually kept arguing with me over that. I loved how it turned out, but I think #5 was a fair position for the toy box.

Do you place any hidden tributes in your winning Toy Boxes?

None of my featured toy boxes have hidden tributes; however, I began hiding Mickey Topiary’s in my new toy boxes. Look out for the Hidden Mickeys if any are featured.

Now that I think about it, each of my featured toy boxes were inspired by other toy box artists. The only reason why I made racetracks is because of PGZoneHD’s Channel. I clearly got the idea to do a battle map from Tangled&Tron. Mulan's Race has the sort of creativity that I learned from XShadow's toy boxes.

Share a story of adversity from when you were building one of your Toy Boxes that you had to overcome.

The biggest challenge I face when I make toy boxes come down to three words. Don’t Give Up! It took me so long to get featured that I think I almost gave up like 3 times, one of them you can find in the forums somewhere . It is so hard to get rejected and just be fine with it. (Unless you're PapaEcho)
The only thing that keeps me moving (honestly for everything, not just DI) is the thought of missing out on so many amazing opportunities. I’m honestly glad I never gave up, as not only did I manage to win, but I managed to make amazing toy boxes in the process.

Share a funny story from when you were building one of your Toy Boxes.

Extreme Racing only took an hour to do, that’s right an hour. That alone is pretty funny but it beat out another toy box I made for the Winter Sports challenge titled “Winter Hurdles” which took me 20 hours.

Also while I’m on that note, I just need to mention something else. During the Arcade week I had made one of the best toy boxes I have created. It was one of the only toy boxes where I thought FOR SURE I would get a placement. Winners get announced, not on there at all. Toy Box TV is published, not on there at all. I was pretty upset and I fully admit to it leading into one of my whiny sessions where I almost gave up on making Toy boxes. Well leave it to irony to win the next challenge for me. Man, I should threaten to quit more often.

Do you have any advice for aspiring Toy Box Artists?

Similar to what I side in the adversity question! Don’t give up! I almost did three times, and the fact that I considered it was a regret to me. You will get featured just be open to feedback and suggestions! Good Luck on your creations.

rank_deputy_ftb_10_lenny
PirateSteven
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Re: itstimechicken, Disney Infinity Toy Box Artist

Postby Modeltrainman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:23 am

Wow! A chicken interview!
Avalanche Software is the best game dev!
Avalanche's #1 Fan

Lotso Rex
Modeltrainman
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby tangled&tron » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:22 am

Just have to say...

What is your dream Toy Box challenge?

Anything that would allow me to recycle a toy box.

^ That is the greatest answer ever. :lol: I want to officially change my answer to this question so that it is the same as yours now because I am just pretty much gonna spam attack submit my last 2 maps in every remotely applicable challenge until they get featured or I get banned. LOL.

And I can't believe you use random names for your avatar name... I usually always change my name at each forum too (so I can't be tracked, lol), but I will put in some serious deep thought into each of my names... sometimes I will just sit there for an hour trying to think of a name. But then you just use the first one that pops into your head. LOL.

I think it is so awesome that you think your Mulan block art is so awesome that you forget you made it and thought PapaEcho made it because of how awesome you thought it was. If that 8 bit Mulan is completely original than I am seriously impressed because it seriously reminds of Mulan, plus it's cute like a chibi anime version of Mulan. 8-)

LOL. And your reaction to your Arcade map not making it in is pretty much exactly how I felt when my Princess Challenge map didn't make it. But instead of posting a rant I just did something lame like get rid of my cool avatar in protest of the DI committee's decision to not feature my map. LOL. And since your Mulan map came in 5th and a glimpse of my map can be seen in the countdown it is a very likely scenario that your cute Mulan block art was the one to actually bump my Treasure Planet map out of the top 5.

And even though I never got to see you Arcade toy box... IMO your Aladdin one was really cool... I got to see a good bit of it in the countdown that week.

Ooo... and I love XShadow's maps too. 8-)

rank_1000_ftb
tangled&tron

Postby itstimechicken » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:06 am

@T&T

You are slowly beginning to influence me (on DI) I am now beginning to spam whatever toybox I can to do disney that I have already created.

@PirateSteven

Thanks for editing my interview! I have a bad habit of not proofreading what I type.
Featured Toy Boxes: Extreme Racing, Most Wanted, Mulan's Race

rank_250_ftb
itstimechicken
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby Vault Of Villains » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:17 pm

@itsmechicken Really enjoyed your interview, and yes I was here when you was about calling it quits and I think I can talk for most on these forums that were glad you didn't. You've produced some amazing toy boxes and have some great ideas. But it's not just that your a big presence on here and I know if you did ho and leave you'd be greatly missed.

Hope to play on more of your maps down the line. And like I say to everyone on here, as long as your happy with what you have created then you have completed the challenge. and now your a featured toy box artist on three separate occasions. So it's notjust us that see it. The Disney committee does to.
22 featured toy boxes, latest
VENICE: Saint Mark's Square- famous cities

rank_100_ftb_10
Vault Of Villains
Main Console: Xbox 360

Return to Disney Infinity interviews