Who's getting swap force?

Re: Who's getting swap force?

Postby Nibelilt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:53 am

^ They actually changed that now. There's the list for the Achievements out and it has 17 levels(plus there are gonna be two adventure packs). There's also going to be a "score attack" in each level and survival modes(both solo and multiplayer). Finishing the SWAP Force zones will unlock "Missions", which we have no idea about(there are gonna be 20 of those).
No SSA adventure packs though, which sucks hard. I don't really have fun from going through them AGAIN, but it is fun using new Skylanders in old levels, and that's the closest we're ever gonna get unless they do a massive Heel Face Turn. Plus, they would have looked amazing with the new graphics style. Especially Dragon's Peak.

Another Rant
I want more variety in the design. I mean the actual design as well, not those dang SWAP Force zones, which look fun but only work with a few Skylanders, and in the grand scheme of things just look like mediocre minigames anyway, not real mindblowing additions. It doesn't have to be the gameplay genres like sidescrolling and jumping and all those gimmicks that they're throwing in now: SSA still felt more varied than Giants, which had additional features like Arenas and Quests, and new Skylanders.
I like how in SSA some of the levels were really short and small(Molekin Mine, Lair of Kaos), and then they had fairly large ones too(all the Undead Levels, Arkeyan Armory, all the Adventure Pack levels). I don't like how they're making every single level in the games really long now. It makes the game feel like a grind(and it turns even more repetitive than before). And don't get me started on those horrible, overly gimmicky levels... Secret Vault, Aerial Attack, Autogyro Adventure... Ugh...

Giants levels really weren't that much longer, anyway(I can't quite explain it... But just speedrun any of them and you will see how short they can be). They're trying to make the game harder, which is fair enough, but for people like me who have 100+ figures, it makes it tiring with each figure taking longer and having less to visit. Even Nightmare is a pushover, because the AI is pathetic. The harder difficulties just make you slow down, and in Skylanders, that ends up very boring. It just isn't fun when it takes forever and ever and ever to upgrade, level up and finish quests, times a hundred toys, and they're adding more and more and more in ludicrous amounts. Don't forget the boring block and lock puzzles they toss into every level. Giants just plays ridiculously, boringly slow. SA DID have the same problems, but it had enough combat to make up for it.

And I've said this before, yes, I don't need to buy every figure, and I might not for SWAP Force unless it truly wows me, but I do want to have a complete collection, AND I should feel rewarded for having a larger collection instead of frustrated by fault of repetitive design. I don't even play that much. I usually play once, maybe twice or if I'm in the mood, three times a week for about two hours, and I'm starting to get sick of the franchise entirely.

The only thing that I'm actually glad they took out were the Heroic Challenges(in Swap Force... Because I've finished them with every single figure twice over but come on, repetititititition). The gameplay has undoubtedly evolved from SA and Giants, but I think the actual game design is getting worse. Even SA wasn't that great as a game* for the price, because it had a very standard amount of levels and extremely simplistic combat, but I still enjoy it and find it more fresh than Giants and I've played it for a whole year longer. If the new Skylanders were compatible with it, I probably wouldn't bother buying another future Skylanders game until I got as sick of SA as I have Giants, because I'm just not having enough fun with them to make the frustration worthwhile. The new games are definetly more refined, but also less charming.

In conclusionthiswasabadrant, they tossed more figures at us, and gave us less to explore, which sucks. I hope that SWAP Force is better, but I have a huge nagging doubt.

* To expand on this, I do realise the game is supposed to be only "half the fun", but I don't find the figures to be painted or made that well anyway. I enjoy the Skylanders game for the game. Everyone enjoys what they enjoy for different reasons(there's someone who liked Skylanders just because of Glumshanks! :)). The figures are just a cool bonus to me, and they've already given that gimmick enough exposition anyway, with all the ridiculous amounts of them.
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby GamerZack7 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:29 am

I've just realised that each of the Swap Force Zones can be tackled by 32 different characters, not counting variants! :o

rank_50
GamerZack7
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Nibelilt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 am

^ SWAP Zones can't be entered by 32, only 16. Half the new Skylanders are just regular (Core) like the SA ones, the other half are SWAP.

If you want to count every possible, fully-upgraded, unique (so not recolours) SWAP combination, you're looking at potentially 1024 Skylanders(16 Skylanders x 16 swappable parts x 2 paths x 2 upgradeable halves). It's been confirmed that both halves have branching paths of their own. :)
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby GamerZack7 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:37 am

^I meant that each individual Swap Force Zone requires Skylanders with a certain power, and the number of playable combinations is 32; for example, Climb Zones are playable with Skylanders who have the Climb power, and since there are two different parts (Buckler and Rise) which are required for them, as well as 16 other parts which can be combined with either, that makes 32 Skylanders which can play in a Climb zone. Although, the Skylander I'd rather play through a Drill Zone is Fire Drilla simply because the name works so well!

rank_50
GamerZack7
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby infinityadvanced » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:13 pm

well I'm getting it

rank_250
infinityadvanced
Main Console: Xbox 360