CHD Awareness?

CHD Awareness?

Postby Jazz820 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:51 am

Hey everyone! Ok so it's late where I am and I do my best thinking in bed at a late time but that's beside the point. Lately the ice bucket challenge has been going around raising awareness for ALS. It's really awesome that everyone is taking apart in supporting research and spreading the word about ALS, I myself have done it and felt very glad to let everyone know what ALS is.

Now some might already know this but if you don't, I was born with CHD, Congenital Heart Defect. In short terms I only have half a heart, and it's on the right side of my body. It's a defect, yes defect not diesels I can't spread it to people, that can have different affects on people depending on the type of CHD. I have Hypo-Plastic Right, hence why my heart is on the right side of my body. All my life I have had trouble breathing, if you see my I am usually blue or purple, my lips especially. This is because I can't get in the amount of oxygen that normally is needed. So to put it in perspective if we measure oxygen level, normal is about low 90's but if you were to measure my oxygen I would be at low 70's. This has resulted in many different outcomes, I have never been able to play sports, active activities I have to constantly stop and catch my breath, and I also have a hard time going up a set of stairs at times. When I was young I had to wear oxygen all the time but that was ok, at least better than the other out come the doctors planned. I never was expected to get passed day one, my first day was supposed to be my last until emergency surgery changed my fate. 17 years later and I'm still here today, though I have had 25+ surgeries through out my life time. My chest is ultimately my road map of my life, all the scars from every surgery. Though I have gone through, and seen, quite a lot, I don't let it bring me down. Instead I use the experiences to help others and try to teach people to see the light the shines around them in life.

Now a little fun fact, three years ago I had a big open heart surgery where they implanted a cows jugular vein into me so for the first time ever I had blood pumping through my lungs, so yes I'm part cow :P

Now to the point of this, with all the great ice bucket challenges going around supporting ALS, it has kind of made me think, not in a winey way, there hasn't been anything that big for CHD, it's one of those things that's usually just overlooked by many other things happening in the world, and that's where I would like you guys. I want to spread awareness for CHD, atleast just make it known to the people what it is, I'm not asking for donations of any sort, just the awareness of what exactly CHD is.

Thanks everyone you all are so awesome, if you would like to know more about CHD or my own life experiences with CHD let me know. And please help me figure out a way to get CHD awareness out there to let everyone know what it is and who we are.

Here is a Facebook page I run for CHD if you would like to check it out:
https://www.facebook.com/Livingwithchd

rank_1250
Jazz820
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:

Re: CHD Awareness?

Postby Modeltrainman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 am

I'll pray for you, Jazz.
Avalanche Software is the best game dev!
Avalanche's #1 Fan

Lotso Rex
Modeltrainman
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby wreckitlightyear » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Hang in there bud' I'm sure It'll get out there :)
Chewie, we're home...

rank_250
wreckitlightyear
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby Spider-Man » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:50 pm

whatever happens don't let it bring you down!! you are awesome and should always be happy!!! :D :) :D
"With great power comes great responsibility!" Quoted by Uncle Ben

rank_500
Spider-Man
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Jazz820 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks guys! You are all so great, keep being you!

rank_1250
Jazz820
NN ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Unfortuneatly there is a lot of defects and or diseases that we don't know of :( this is the first I've heard of this one for example.
I sympathise with you mate, I'm sure there could be a similar challenge to raise awareness and/or money for example there's a new one called pies for Parkinson's that I've seen

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Jazz820 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Hmmm insteresting that's new to me

rank_1250
Jazz820
NN ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:39 pm

I've only seen one video mind. But its worth a try

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Jazz820 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:49 pm

By the way if anyone is interested I do run a Facebook page called Living with Congenital Heart Defect, where people can learn about it, share experiences not just with CHD but other heart issues that they might go through or know someone. So if you are interested you can check that out also.

rank_1250
Jazz820
NN ID:

Next

Return to the Mad Hatter's tea party