Aspiring Animators!

each forum member is allowed ONE topic to share their fan art that is not Disney Infinity related

Re: Aspiring Animators!

Postby Jimsta » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:41 pm

I've always wondered, what software you guys use? And how much it cost?
Jimsta
Main Console: PS3

Postby FelixBrownSLC » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:04 am

As far as CG animation for feature film and games, the industry standard at the moment is Autodesk's MAYA. A full software package will run you around $3,500.
DISCLAIMER: posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer.

Mickey
FelixBrownSLC
Main Console: PS4

Postby toops » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:22 am

FelixBrownSLC wrote:As far as CG animation for feature film and games, the industry standard at the moment is Autodesk's MAYA. A full software package will run you around $3,500.
while this is most unfortunately true, if you're a college student you can get the student version for free. i personally use after effects for 2d stuff, but that isn't cheap either and there's not a free student version.

robotghost, your stuff reminds me of the humongous entertainment stuff, and you've done a lot of lengthy stuff, i commend you.

rank_deputy_etch
toops

Postby Jimsta » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:24 am

OK, I was hoping for a free version of animating software for 2d stuff.
I'm guessing most of these softwares, let you create a 'model' and assignment a skeleton to move around.

I essentially wanted a cheap and easy way to get my ideas form my brain and animated.
Jimsta

Postby mdewater » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 am

Well (and this is certainly old school)... there's always pencil and paper. It's the best way to start animating. If you can get your hands on a copy of Flash, that'll be your best bet in stepping into the next level after that.

rank_100
mdewater

Postby Sheriff Woody » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 am

Jimsta wrote:OK, I was hoping for a free version of animating software for 2d stuff.
I'm guessing most of these softwares, let you create a 'model' and assignment a skeleton to move around.

I essentially wanted a cheap and easy way to get my ideas form my brain and animated.

on the basis that you can't get much cheaper than free ... Pencil animation software

here's 2 examples i found (there are lots more examples on youtube) ...

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID: T7GGA
Disney ID: T7GGA13

Postby toops » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:36 am

Jimsta wrote:OK, I was hoping for a free version of animating software for 2d stuff.

like mdewater said there's always pencil and paper, plus you can animate it afterwards digitally once you reach that phase. having used both flash and after effects pretty in depth i prefer after effects, but it's all going to be personal taste and work flow. either of those though you don't necessarily have to work with a skeleton if you don't want to. you can work with layers and just as effectively get the result you want, but the more complicated the model and movement the more convenient a skeleton would be.

rank_deputy_etch
toops

Postby Nibelilt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:46 am

Blender is a free 3D animator, but it's more confusing than GIMP :P
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID: Crash_Fodder
NN ID: Nibelilt

Postby Jimsta » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks guys, I am trying something called; the TAB, it's a 30 day free trail. But I'm sure if I want to keep it, I can find a way :P
The inbetweening from what I can see is a main feature I would need, I couldn't be bothered to do it frame by frame. I got hr stories in my head, I want them out.
Jimsta

PreviousNext

Return to other fan art