Custom display mockup

each forum member is allowed ONE topic to share their own Disney Infinity fan art

Custom display mockup

Postby toops » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:36 am

hey guys, i wanted to get some ideas/feedback on something i had been thinking about lately seeing all the cool collections and stuff you guys have on the forum.
every now and then i like to hit up the woodshop and keep my skills up to par so this time around i wanted to mess around with an idea similar to mirgare's awesomely lit display but exclusively for some of my favorite/special/custom figures along with some of the awesome concept art that is floating about.
obviously this is a very crude mockup (i.e. lightning mcqueen card :lol:), nowhere near final designs or anything but i wanted to get some thoughts from you guys before i start planning more seriously

one problem is do i want to light it from the bottom:

or the top?

obviously the top will have more and better lighting but the bottom would have some interested effects too especially considering some figures (like the guardians) have bases that allow light to shine through them should lighting be underneath.

should disney/marvel look the same? or differentiate? i.e. disney ones are blue marvel are red? or keep them all blue?
should i add any information on the sides for fun? compatible play sets/modes/games? related power discs? special skill tree moves?
what would you do?
thanks! :D

rank_deputy_etch
toops
Main Console: PS3

Re: Custom display mockup

Postby Infinityfan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 am

This is really good! :D I think they should all be blue, and I don't know why but I think I'd rather have the bottom lit up, but that's my opinion... :)

rank_2000_ftb
Infinityfan
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:46 am

Looks like an awesome idea. I prefer bottom lit but with the Disney infinity logo that's in the 2nd pic as well and maybe a small ridge along the bottom to hide the light. Can't wait to see what you come up with

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby candyle73 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:12 pm

That looks really cool Toops! I agree Aladdin should get a display first ;)
Just curious, would that concept art be just printed out or the actual poster? I have a few of the posters and they're pretty huge lol

Also instead of the blue background behind the concept poster, maybe you could use their landscape? So Aladdin and Jasmine would have a screenshot of the sand dunes or Agrabah behind the concept art!
Come on Disney, I know you want to announce Darkwing Duck next...

rank_250
candyle73
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Postby toops » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:27 pm

thanks for the feedback guys! seems like bottom lit so far is favored, i'll just have to come up with a way to utilize it well.

@Elmo STM: yeah i would definitely want to hide the light as much as possible. i think i want another layer on the bottom with a circular slot for the figure so that the plastic circle part of it is hidden and then for figures like the guardians i can sneak a light under that part as well, we'll see!

@candyle: it would be printed smaller. i think the images for the sides would be printed on vinyl or a cheaper equivalent. i love the concept art posters they've been making so i wanted to utilize them somehow since they've released the files for most of the characters. i'll look into a background, i think i could just take out all the white in the poster image as well and put the dunes behind that as well it might look pretty nice.

what do you guys think about the additions to the sides?
should i add any information on the sides for fun? compatible play sets/modes/games? related power discs? special skill tree moves?

rank_deputy_etch
toops

Postby candyle73 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:43 pm

The skill tree might look kind of cool. It would provide a little info for you on each character but wouldn't be just plain text, more of a design.
Come on Disney, I know you want to announce Darkwing Duck next...

rank_250
candyle73
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Postby toops » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:04 pm

i would for sure use the icons from the game to accompany it but i see what you mean

rank_deputy_etch
toops

Postby wreckitlightyear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:09 pm

First off- LOVE IT!
Question wise.. from the bottom but with the INFINITY logo on the top..
*Suggestion* a 360 spinner would be cool to add!
Chewie, we're home...

rank_250
wreckitlightyear
PSN ID:

Postby toops » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:36 pm

hey that's a pretty cool idea! i don't know anything about those though. are there ones that are cheap and tiny? lighting wouldn't be feasible from underneath i think but just from the bottom would work well

rank_deputy_etch
toops

Next

Return to Disney Infinity fan art