Why do Marvel Games always focus exclusively on Asgaard?

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Why do Marvel Games always focus exclusively on Asgaard?

Postby Tilarta » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Now that I've played Disney Infinity 2.0 a fair bit, I'm starting to get suspicious about the approach Marvel games take in regards to content.

In Marvel Heroes, endgame content is completely focussed on Asgard.
We use Odin marks as currency, the RaidBoss is an exiled Asgard prince and the PvP activities involve an Asgard themed map and an Asgard vendor.

In Disney Infinity, the Avengers playset is all about Loki, Ice Giants and some Asgard artefact called the Casket of Winters.
One of the two Arena playsets involves defending Asgard from Ice Giants as they try to steal the Casket of Winters (again!).

And then there was Marvel Ultimate Avengers, where one third of the game is devoted to Asgard and rescuing Odin from Dr Doom.

Given that these are completely seperate games by different Development teams, I'm now wondering why there is always the focus on Asgaardian themes?
It's like there's a corporate directive that says if we do Marvel crossover games, you've got to make it about Asgaard.

And to be honest, I'd never heard of Thor before I'd become a Marvel fan, but Fantastic Four, X-Men, Iron Man, Spiderman, these were all familiar names to me.
It makes me think they're pushing a low priority franchise high up just because they want to.

rank_250
Tilarta
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Re: Why do Marvel Games always focus exclusively on Asgaard?

Postby KillingRaptor » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Marvel Ultimate Alliance wasn't that big on the Asgard aspect. It was more towards Dr. Doom. :)
"Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it." - Robin Hood

My Videogame Collection

rank_1000
KillingRaptor
Disney ID:
Steam:

Re: Why do Marvel Games always focus exclusively on Asgaard?

Postby shades_smiley » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:01 am

Because "The Avengers" and "Thor" were big time money makers for Marvel and Disney.

rank_100
shades_smiley
Main Console: Wii U

Return to other video games and consoles