Project Spark

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Project Spark

Postby JaysUsername » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:58 am

Hey all, I saw there was an older thread of several members who have tried out Project Spark for Xbone/PC. Would love to hear impressions from players of Infinity. How does it compare etc.

rank_100_ftb
JaysUsername
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Project Spark

Postby JaysUsername » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Well, I took the plunge and have started messing around with the creator mode. Both similar and different than disney infinity but ultimately I'd say its in the same wheel house.

The world building is far more organic and fluid than infinity, you basically grow and shrink the land aside from placing blocks. Its something you have to see and try to appreciate but it really opens a lot of terrain potential. As far as 'props' are concerned it looks like themes are a bit more limited but that's to be expected without the need for disney/marvel themed items. (See my comment about it being a platform for more on this.)

As far as logic goes, it seems to be far advanced compared to infinity but still moderately simple to use. I really appreciate the ability to customize everything.....even the player controls. So, if you want to build a 2D side scrolled you would only assign left and right on the stick as controls, eliminating the issue we have of walking in and out as well as side to side.

The super nice thing is, Spark has adopted the 'platform' mentality we want for infinity. There is constantly new DLC packs being released with everything and anything: characters, textures, props, weapons, animations, logic....everything. They just keep adding more as DLC.

The games people are making are soooo varied, from tower defense, side scrollers, RPGs, endless runners, platformers....it really does seem infinite in its possibilities.

All in all, it lacks the Disney license which immediately puts it in second for many. But for those who want to try out something a little more sophisticated I highly recommend trying it out, or at least watching a YouTube video or two.

rank_100_ftb
JaysUsername
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Romulus77 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:24 pm

How's the cost for the DLC? That was one of my concerns.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby JaysUsername » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Still working my way through the cost to play. I think my biggest gripe would be how overwhelming it all is. Plus you have the ability to buy DLC with in-game currency. There is a thing called a 'premium membership' which allows you to gain sparks....er....currency faster but I'm not sold on it yet.

You can earn currency through daily challenges and daily logins etc. The super cool thing is, you earn currency for uploading games and for each like and download...very cool!

More to your question, DLC packs range anywhere from $2 to $20 (once converted from in game currency). Truthfully I don't think its far off of Infinity and the power discs/playsets unlocking things.

One pack for $10-$15 could get you a new character, new costumes, new weapons, new 'props' (so, themed items like rocks, buildings, trees etc) and the bigger packs usually include a 'story mode' game with it showing off the new content. I know the new Conker pack is supposed to be $10 which is their first licensed content..(really hope to see more licensed stuff).

I'm going to pickup the starter pack which is $40....gives you a ton to start with. After that I'm hoping its a case of I can earn a lot of the stuff I need as I build and play

One of the best parts is crossroads...like a choose your own adventure. The story will start and ask what kind of terrain you want...then once its built it will ask what hero....then it'll start the story....when the villains appear, the game stops and asks which villains should appear. It goes on and on and what you end up with is a mini 'playset' that you theme as you go....very cool!

Anyway, you get a really good taste with the free download and I can't recommend it enough to fellow toybox artists....honestly, after playing it for an hour at a friends house, it's the reason I switched to Xbone.

rank_100_ftb
JaysUsername
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:21 pm

I loved Project Spark and I still have a special place in my heart for it even though I don't play it anymore.

I had a hard time with the logic side of things since it is basically just programming code that you create, rather than using logic toys that help you in DI.

The community here is a lot friendlier, too. :)

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby Stitch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:14 pm

I have been wanting to get this game for PC, it seems fun and interesting.
The DLC thing worries me though.
I wouldn't mind DIsney Infinity having DLC but as long as it is inexpensive and there isn't too much of it.

rank_1500
Stitch

Postby JaysUsername » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:41 pm

But the nice thing about the programming is it's tile based. Now I haven't delved too deeply into it yet but there seems to be enough basic stuff to make plenty of stuff and save the hardcore coding for the pros. Either way, I'll have to see where my limit lies.

Infinity definitely wins for accessability but it does come in exchange for flexibility/diversity. The variation in gameplay in spark is pretty huge whereas I think we are pretty limited in infinity. (Hoping this changes in 3.0).

@Stitch doesn't hurt to try it, its free and gives you plenty to start with. I will say there is ALOT of DLC but that's like saying DI has a lot of figures.

As far as cost of DLC, I've been playing just under a week and I've ground out 10000 credits which I believe is about $10 in DLC. That is without premium which means double xp/double credits. The ability to grind out everything is there. To me it looks lime it will be a good combo of buying some DLC and grinding the lesser ones.

One disappointing thing I've found is no ledge climbing, ladder climb or really any climbing at all. Seems really limiting. Now, some of the community have already added code/animations for that so I'll test it and see but it seems like an odd omission.

rank_100_ftb
JaysUsername
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 am

Yeah, I did like that aspect about the code. I made a cool Golem out of rocks that could instantly kill the player upon contact. It would periodically give a roar that was a mix between an elephant and monster sound.

Ah, you're making me all nostalgic now. I might need to dust off the ol' Xbone tonight.

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby pjhaan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:20 am

I downloaded this on my XBox One last week. All of the doc is now completely free. Might play around with it this weekend if I can tear myself away from my Inside Out challenge boxes

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to other video games and consoles