Disney Infinity is Ceasing Operations in June

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Re: Disney Infinity is Ceasing Operations in June

Postby Tilarta » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39 am

I'm not sure if it was a factor, but maybe the lack of playsets contributed to the disinterest.

Frozen and Zootopia simply did not receive any playsets.
Which means the figures from those franchises were just collectible statues really, you couldn't play through an actual movie based playset with them.
They were only useable in ToyBox games.

There were probably other figures who fell into the same category.
I am not certain who they are though, but odds are high they were all Disney specific.

Another factor might be that they weren't choosing Disney franchises with the highest fanbase support.
Which would have the effect of diminishing sales because the figures fans wanted simply did not exist.

I don't know much about Disney fanbase statistics, but I have heard the Kim Possible fanbase is a fairly strong one.
And I know for a fact that DI was talking to one of KP's creators about making KP stuff for DI before the game was terminated.

rank_250
Tilarta
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID: Tilarta
Disney ID: Tilarta
Steam: Tilarta

Postby Fatal T » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Maybe the Lone Ranger made them think twice about what to make a playset for. Frozen and Zootopia could have both bombed like the Lone Ranger (and obviously they did not), so perhaps the suits decided that playsets should only be developed for "proven" properties like Star Wars, Nemo, Marvel. Inside Out doesn't fit that theory but perhaps they gambled on a Pixar movie being a hit no matter what.

FWIW, my kids have never once complained about the lack of a Frozen set, but they love to play as the characters.

rank_0
Fatal T
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID: Fatal T 71

Postby ImGonnaWreckIt » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:46 pm

I actually found the Lone Ranger playset to be incredibly fun. Shockingly fun. But it didn't sell well cause the movie wasn't made with children in mind.
Twitter - gvasenjr

rank_250
ImGonnaWreckIt

Postby g2red89 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:57 pm

I agree, I think they jumped ship too soon by discontinuing it. I guess we can't be too surprised, this is the same thing that happened with VMK. I'm still very upset by all of this. I just feel like DI was the one game that Disney made that could last for YEARS!! It had all the ingredients of a great game, it brought every character together, and just gave us endless opportunities to create and have fun together. Nothing was more Disney then Disney infinity, and now, nothing. It's just very frustrating. I read about all these savedisneyinfinity things and wish that would work, but how many times has a petition to save something anywhere let alone something at Disney actually worked? As you can tell I'm still mourning the loss of this game. Give me a few years, I'll be ok. :(

rank_100
g2red89

Postby mr jenzie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 pm

NO disney playset for DI2.0

that's why

rank_50
mr jenzie
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID: mrjenzie
Disney ID: mr jenzie

Postby AJNinPTC » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Hey everyone I'm a Xbox 360 player and need your opinions. With the upcoming loss of the infinity servers and the eclipse of the Xbox 360, do I need to buy an Xbox One now before the infinity servers shut down to get all the updates and patches?

rank_0
AJNinPTC
Main Console: Xbox 360
XBL ID: BuzzJewls

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:30 pm

No need to upgrade for that, the patches etc will still be available you just won't have access to community toy boxes unfortunately or the other online features

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID: STMelmo
Disney ID: Elmo STM

Postby BaronGrackle » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:33 pm

On Jenzie's point, also this:

Zero playsets for an animated Disney film. None. The only "Disney Original" sets were from Pixar or live action.

rank_0
BaronGrackle
Main Console: PS3

Postby Tilarta » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:51 am

I somewhat enjoyed the Lone Ranger playset.
Granted, I have no interest in the movie, but the playset I found entertaining.
Plus, it came with a train and I like trains! :D
And many of the unlocks were good for Toy Box projects.

Inside Out however, good movie, bad playset! :o
It was just a repetitive platform game with Achievement based goals.
To me, it felt like I was just playing the same game over and over with minor variations.
Also, the unlocks seemed very specific to Riley's mindworld, I couldn't see any purpose for them in my Toy Boxes.

So based on the above cases, it should not be a factor that the popularity of the movie affects the quality of the playset.
It might influence the choices based on numbers/audience reception, but that is it.

And what stopped them making Frozen or Zootopia playsets once it was known they were successful?
It wouldn't have hurt anyone to make a playset much later on, once the appeal of those franchises was well known, making it not risky to create the associated playsets.

As regards the online aspects of the game, I recommend you focus on any unlocks that require multiplayer, as the shutdown of those servers will effectively remove the ability to unlock them.
And make sure you do it on the console you will be playing DI on for the rest of time, as I doubt the unlocks are transferable between different models of your console.

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID: Tilarta
Disney ID: Tilarta
Steam: Tilarta

PreviousNext

Return to other video games and consoles