Skylanders (Series general)

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Re: Skylanders (Series general)

Postby All Hallows » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:20 am

All Infinity rewiews have compared the game to skylanders. So, I thought I would share my thoughts on the matter here:

Now, I have both Skylanders Swap Force and Disney Infinity. And I love them both!
-both are great, although very different, platformers.

As far as which is better goes, it is rather complicated:

Graphics: I found infinity a bit better here. It has more detail, and more scope.

Playability: Skylanders are easier to control, especially in battle.

Lastability: Definitely Infinity!

Basic box: Infinity is better, because it has 30+hours of gaming in the basic box. Skylanders only has ten hours of enjoyment in it's starter set...

Sound: Skylanders is way better, especially as Infinity has a sound bugs (on xbox360 at least...)

Figurines: Infinity's figurines are WAY better quality...

The characters: Very even. Skylanders characters get better as they level up, whereas infinity characters can use tools/weapons/vehicles. But all in all, I like Skylanders characters just a teeny bit better.

Overall quality: Skylanders is more polished (on xbox360) and has no bugs. So it takes a win here.

Well, those are my thoughts. I know they are of no great philosophical value, but I really had to get the issue out of me system!

rank_0
All Hallows
Main Console: PS4

Postby ChernabogSH » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:59 am

I finally caved in and bought the starter pack for Swap Force. It was actually on sale, which is the biggest reason I went for it xD

So far I have been trying to not compare it to Infinity as much possible. A bit hard since one of the skylanders characters is voiced by the same actor who did Kronk's in Emperors New Groove.

Right now, the issues I have with Skylanders is relatively minor:

- Jumping feels restrictive. No double-jump
- Movement still feels a bit odd. It's like I'm running/moving at a turtle pace constantly
- Not being able to still attack while jumping
- "Restrictive" feeling level layouts. It feels like I'm always moving on one path that every so often has a split here and there. It doesn't feel quite as....open as Infinity. Skylanders feels more like one long, twisty-turny/winding path, while Infinity feels more like a world (to a degree. Toybox has that odd "floating in the sky" thing).

I'm probably going to stay casual with Skylanders for now, until I beat the game once through and see what happens.

rank_0
ChernabogSH

Postby crazybirdman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:19 am

Yeah they just added jumping in this (the 3rd) game. It's definitely a platformer, so it's going to be on rails. I 've enjoyed all the Skylander's games, but they are very diffent from Infinity as far as gameplay is concerned.

rank_250
crazybirdman
Main Console: Wii U

Postby DevoMako » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:47 am

So, the new Skylanders game is getting announced a week before Infinity 2.0 gets revealed, so the 23rd of April.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/14/561445 ... invitation

And the invitation the news editor (Brain Crecente) received came with a personalized message.
DevoMako
XBL ID:

Postby DevoMako » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 pm

Skylanders Trap Team has been officially announced for release on October 5th in America and October 10th in Europe on Playstation 3/4, Xbox 360/One, Wii U, 3DS and Wii.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/23/activ ... m-preview/

And yes, there is a new portal of power. This one allows you to capture villains in the game using Traps, which allow you to store the villains you capture and allow you to play as those villains in the game itself.

The starter pack will retail for $75 dollars and includes the game, the portal, 2 characters and 2 of the traps.
DevoMako
XBL ID:

Postby DezartfoxTVT » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 am

Love skylanders, my shelves are threatening to collapse with all the figures!

New concept and idea behind trap team is pretty awesome, will be interesting to see how they market the trap keys, will they go blind pack route? Or will they come packaged with the trap team characters?

rank_0
DezartfoxTVT
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:

Postby Jazz820 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:41 am

Very interesting new concept, something I never would of thought about. Wonder why only two characters in the starter pack though

rank_1250
Jazz820
NN ID:

Postby Chewbacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:46 am

^I think it is because it comes with 2 traps
Chewie is best character

rank_1250
Chewbacca
NN ID:

Postby PerryTheMonkey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:04 am

I wonder how the 3DS gameplay will work on the new portal. This trap version sounds like it is more interactive with the portal during game play, which is not anything like how the 3DS versions have worked in the past versions.

rank_50
PerryTheMonkey

PreviousNext

Return to other video games and consoles