Who is upgrading consoles to Next Gen this Christmas?

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Re: Who is upgrading consoles to Next Gen this Christmas?

Postby altiareagle » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Good idea, plus if you got it you'd get I told you so from me and Sheriff.
I'd check the game line up before you make a decision like this one though.
Kinda tired.
Chat with me If you're tired too.

rank_1500
altiareagle
Location: Cushing, Texas. Where the coyotes wail and there isn't a steakhouse. Or Steak.
Main Console: PS3

Postby Sheriff Woody » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:08 pm

@KyletheCartoonist Wii U isn't next gen it is in-between old and next gen. i know this will upset a lot of people but it is not even close to the PS4 or Xbone ... and yes we have a Wii U so i am allowed to legitimately comment. Wii U load times make my head want to explode. only got sucked into purchasing one for Lego City Undercover only to find that it isn't even 2 player, seriously a Lego game that isn't 2 player FAIL.

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Nibelilt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Really, it just comes down to the games. Just look at the lineups and decide which you like more. If you don't like many of the Wii U exclusives there isn't a lot of reason to go for that console because, outside of those, it will generally get worse ports of whatever the One/PS4 gets. Mostly, Wii U exclusives are probably gonna be more niche titles(ie Wonderful 101, X), not blockbuster AAA ones that aren't from Nintendo themselves. Honestly, IMO 8th gen in general isn't a very convincing thing yet, though(outside of the 3DS, I don't mean to sound biased, but it pretty much pummels the Vita's library and has a massive head start on the home consoles sooo yeah). I would say don't jump in just yet on a home console. Wait until 8th gen gets cheaper, and the systems have bigger libraries so you can judge them better. But that's just my personal opinion. It's all just whatever your preference is.

On the other hand, if you just have a Wii as your home console, upgrade now. Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii, but the recent trend of awful ports to the system and Nintendo themselves dropping support is just proof the future of that system will be filled with nothing but cheap ports made only to give companies money. There aren't really any Wii games to look forward to any more so unless you still have Wii games you want to play, unless you can't afford it, there's no reason not to upgrade to at least a 3DS(well, which I'm aware you have anyway... So this paragraph is pointless!). And for the record, yes, there are still people who have a Wii and can't afford to upgrade from it- just sayin', in case someone gets snarky about it, as I've seen arguments about it popping up on the net lately.

As for myself, I am going for a combo of 3DS and PC this gen. The 3DS kicks booty, and the PC gets a lot of its own exclusives while also getting some blockbuster ports my Wii U and handheld will miss in the chance I'm actually interested in one. The other consoles (Wii U and Vita) will just kind of be there, I'll get some exclusives for them and I'll play some games from old consoles on them, but I won't be playing them nearly as much as my 3DS or PC. I'm leaving the PS4 and Xone alone unless their line ups can convince me more, but if I get them they'll probably end up the same as Vita and Wii U, so I might just ignore them until they become cheap enough so that I can buy them for the sake of having them. It's not so much that the stuff outside of 3DS and PC doesn't interest me, as that I would prefer to spend time on the games that happen to be on the 3DS/PC.

Also, there are a lot of games I wanted to play last gen and missed out on, so there's that. I think if there are still a bunch of games from the console you have that you want and you're content with whatever systems you have then you don't need to upgrade for a while. If you want a console just so that you can have it ready to get new stuff on-if you get what I mean- then there's not really a point to buying that console until what you want is available. And there's always the chance that whatever you wanted in the first place gets cancelled or delayed anyway, which always sucks.
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby altiareagle » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:50 am

Nice take, especially what you said about not being so eager to jump onto a new console.
I probably won't get PS4 till a year or so later when the game developement boosts up, but I have to say,
INfamous 3 has me looking at the PS4 in the corner of my little gaming eye.
I have a satisfacting collection (to me anyways.) Uncharted, AC, Skyrim, DI, Jak And Daxter series, as well as Sly Cooper series and the new ratchet game will keep me glued to my PS3 and that doesn't even scratch the surface of how much bliss i have with this system.
Kinda tired.

rank_1500
altiareagle
Location: Cushing, Texas. Where the coyotes wail and there isn't a steakhouse. Or Steak.

Postby Modeltrainman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm not moving to next gen until Disney does. Until then, I have my good buddy altair to keep me company. Besides. I'd still prefer Infinity on PC.(Not the TB app)
Avalanche Software is the best game dev!
Avalanche's #1 Fan

Lotso Rex
Modeltrainman
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby altiareagle » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Yup, if I kind find the time to make it sign in.
Stupid Sub Accounts. :( If only they counted your age to know when to release it.
Kinda tired.

rank_1500
altiareagle

Postby KillingRaptor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Not before next year, that's for sure. I have a huge backlog from this generation to work through and there's still more stuff added to my collection on an almost weekly base. I will upgrade eventually but not immediately, probably both consoles again just like this generation and also a Wii U in the future. :)
"Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it." - Robin Hood

My Videogame Collection

rank_1000
KillingRaptor
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Nibelilt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:00 pm

- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:35 am

I said I would wait, then I said I'd skip Wii U as it was doing badly, then I saw Lego City and wondered but wouldn't get it for £200 or more (premium), then I saw it at ASDA for £190 and I gave in.

Like Sheriff, Lego City is the worst Lego game I have played ever, it's so irritating because its the simple elements that ruin it, load times, boring progress bars ever 30 seconds, not even any good cinematics to distract you while it's doing it, in fact cutscenes have loading times before them! Like Sonic Adventure 2006, horrible programming (mostly caused by Wii U being difficult to program) it ruins it and makes it unplayable.

I also wouldn't count it as next-gen, given its close ties to the Wii, it's a mid-gen offering.

Disney Infinity, especially with the 1.2 update gives it a reason to survive in the living room for now. I'm really hoping Nintendo's first party titles, Mario 3D, Mario Kart, etc live up to expectation and make it last at least as long as the Wii. I really hope this is Nintendo's last console and they go software only, releasing on Sony, Microsoft consoles, PC and smartphones, they could rake in Apple amounts of cash in no time.

I have Xbox One pre-ordered, picking up at midnight, looking forward to Project Spark and Quantum Break, if I gave the Wii U a chance, then with the Xbox exclusives that will eventually make their way there should give it a chance, I have a lot of fond gaming moments on 360.

I also have Playstation 4 pre-ordered (busy month, and many more eating beans), again midnight launch a week later.
Launch line up is disappointing, I played Knack and gameplay wise it wasn't there for me, just too slow and repetitive. Not into sports. Killzone I haven't gotten to play yet, but it'll be like Resistence for PS3, if I got it with it at launch, I play it a bit then never finish it or play it later when I have a backlog of games I really like to play. I found Contrast and interesting game and free for PSN+ which is a "plus" (pardon the pun). Octodad is a 5 minute demo turned into a Game, really? 2014 will start with the really good games, I've not explored all the digital content yet so might be some more offerings there plus I could be swayed by Need for Speed and Battlefield, just not sure which to get them on... PS4? I hope Battlefield has a good story.

I think both consoles were rushed and due to media frenzy released 6 months to a year ahead of time, the fact both consoles are practically a paperweight without day one update says a lot.

PS4 does represent a big leap for the PS Operating System, lacking cross game voice chat and a rather limited menu screen has made it a lonely affair whereas 360 stormed ahead with social aspect and so many services, services and features which it must be said is maddening aren't there for PS4 and Xbox One... fine dont include depreciated features, but media streaming, MP3 playback, swapping HDD, external storage, etc are not depreciated features.

Still PS3 and Xbox 360 are likely to stick around for a while, great, I'm going to be lost in a pile of controllers.
Daring Air Operations Expert
Have Disney Infinity on: Xbox 360 | PS3 | Wii U

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

PreviousNext

Return to other video games and consoles