Mixed feelings about the power disc trade at TRU

Mixed feelings about the power disc trade at TRU

Postby Holley Shiftwell » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:05 am

My kids were unbelievably excited to go to the trading event at TRU. To our surprise, quite a few kids showed up with their parents, mostly boys under age 10. My kids had a fantastic time meeting other kids and working out trades. The staff at TRU was delighted at how much fun everyone was having.

Then there was the middle-aged gamer couple who was swindling the young kids out of their rares. These two had stacks upon stacks of every disc and promised every kid who walked in that they could have any 10 of the common discs for their rares. My son was in the process of trading for a rare from another child when the woman spoke up and told him she wanted it and she'd give him more than my son would. wibble? So when we tried to then trade her for the one she just took from the other kid (the one my son really wanted and needed), she refused because he didn't have any rares to trade.

I know I was one of the people encouraging adults to show up and participate in the trading despite TRU recognizing it as a children's event, but I really didn't expect middle-aged people to come in and rob kids blind. I'm disappointed that the TRU staff let them continue with this and even more disappointed that these two people are using a Disney game aimed at families to make money off of children. We love the game, but things like this just make me shake my head in disbelief.

If the two of you are reading this, shame on you.
Holley Shiftwell
Main Console: PS4

Re: Mixed feelings about the power disc trade at TRU

Postby Dr. Turtle » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:07 am

Wow, that's terrible :(

rank_250
Dr. Turtle
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:

Postby Dr. Turtle » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:25 am

I'm pretty sure by "You people" he means the people who tricked kids out of rares.

rank_250
Dr. Turtle
XBL ID:

Postby Holley Shiftwell » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:36 am

My comments are directed at these two people specifically. It wouldn't surprise me if they were members here because they were well versed on all things Infinity. It was clear they didn't have children of their own so perhaps they don't understand how infuriating it is for parents to see their children taken advantage of, but they should at the very least understand that their behavior is immoral. Edited my original post to clarify. I certainly didn't intend to cast blame on anyone else.
Holley Shiftwell

Postby PleasantlyGrim » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 am

What state is this store in Holley?

rank_100
PleasantlyGrim
Main Console: Xbox 360
XBL ID:

Postby neoz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:52 am

As my TRU event had a grand total of 1 person show up I didn't have any problems.

I questioned the staff about what if I say people trying to sell them and or rip little kids off. They told me that if I saw it to let them know and they would take care of it. Why would you want to rip off a little kid? Terrible...they have more then enough time to see that this world and people are bad lol.

rank_100
neoz
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby Agent C » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:18 am

It's always an adult who comes along and messes stuff up for kids, and I say that as an adult. It happened when I was a kid with the trading card industry. It is disturbing to see this, but it is not surprising.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby MonkeyCrumb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 am

^^ @Holley Shiftwell ... Wait, are you saying they were exchanging 10 commons for 1 rare? How is this a bad deal if the kids are cool with it? Everything else sounded shady, but that part didn't sound too bad. Because sometimes, for the kids it's about whats ON the disc rather than the perceived value or rarity of them.

Also, discs cost $1.50 (on the TRU 2 packs for $6 sale price) to $2.50 each, so trading a rare for 10 is $15 to $25 basic value. I really don't see the downside there, that one part sounded like a good deal.
MonkeyCrumb
Main Console: PS3

Postby Wreck-it-Ralph » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:05 am

^^^^^agreed

rank_50
Wreck-it-Ralph
PSN ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity events