Mixed feelings about the power disc trade at TRU

Re: Mixed feelings about the power disc trade at TRU

Postby JerrodDRagon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:09 am

Wait, are you saying they were exchanging 10 commons for 1 rare? How is this a bad deal if the kids are cool with it? Everything else sounded shady, but that part didn't sound too bad. Because sometimes, for the kids it's about whats ON the disc rather than the perceived value or rarity of them.

Also, discs cost $1.50 (on the TRU 2 packs for $6 sale price) to $2.50 each, so trading a rare for 10 is $15 to $25 basic value. I really don't see the downside there, that one part sounded like a good deal.
That's what I was thinking...heck besides the Tron disk...I dont care for any of the rares right now...besides them being worth more on Ebay....I'd rather have Mickey's Cars or Mulans horse then Dumbo or the Buzz car...but that's just me

I think 10 power disk for 1 is fair...consider value wise they are about the same (10 disk being 12-25 bucks) and rares being about 14-20 bucks online

Plus kids don't care if its rare they want more things to play with in the game

rank_50
JerrodDRagon
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby FROZOFAN » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:02 am

Yeah I agree, I'm not really sure how the "rare discs" can even really be considered rare at this point....they seem fairly easy to come by in the packs and if not there ebay is a surprisingly cheap alternative. Like someone said, kids value things much differently then adults, and with prices so cheap on these things I can't justify this as a case of robbery.

rank_250
FROZOFAN
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby mantez » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 am

I don't know what it's like in the US, but in Australia a few of the commons are going for more than the rares are at the moment.

rank_50
mantez

Postby ZeroOctane » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:40 am

I understand the complaints about "adults" swindling kids, but based on your story, it doesn't sound like swindling, but rather fair trading of collectibles. As a parent in that situation, it is YOUR job to protect your child's interest. The lesson learned in that situation is far more important than the fair market price of the discs involved.

I went to my local TRU trading event, and it was a great success. A dozen families or so showed up. And there also a pro collector there who was obviously looking to sell...but she was also willing to make some fair trades. So at the end of the day, it sucks you didn't enjoy yourself...but welcome to the world of collectibles.

rank_0
ZeroOctane
Main Console: PS4
XBL ID:

Postby Sanfran22 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 am

^^ @JerrodDRagon ... My thoughts exactly

please check the part about unnecessary quotes, thanks

rank_0
Sanfran22
PSN ID:

Postby Samurai » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:47 pm

My TRU stopped all money transactions. I traded and got 2 of the 4 disks I needed. There was 1 girl who only needed rares, but had 1 of the disks I needed. She ended up trading for a disk she already had, but I told her she didn't need to trade. I reminded her that I had some circle disks and she can use more than 1 at a time, if she wanted more than 1.

rank_50
Samurai
NN ID:

Postby Holley Shiftwell » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:13 pm

I don't know if you all have looked at the market for these things, but the rares are worth 4 times what the commons are and people are making a killing off of them on eBay. You walk into a store, pay $1.50 for something (buying 2 packs for $6 = $1.50 per disc) and turn around and make $10 on it. If you buy a lot of packs, that adds up to hundreds of dollars of profit very quickly. Our stores are void of rares because we figured out too late that you can feel the rares through the packages, so each time we gave it a go, we found not a single rare on the shelf. Maybe it's different in different regions, but here it is true. I searched eBay within 25 miles of my home, and there were numerous auctions for rares starting at $12 a piece. This same couple had a huge STACK of the brand new Tron discs. And guess what? When I asked if they had any left, the girl told me they only received one box and they were entirely sold out. This was 2 hours after the store opened. I wonder who had most of them? I am willing to bet had there not been three TRU employees standing very near to these people, they would have been selling them.

To whoever said I needed to look out for my child's best interests at a TRU event aimed at children, do you have any children? The complexities go far beyond just protecting your children from creeps. I shouldn't have had to have my guard up at this event aimed at kids. It would be like walking into Disney World and finding ads and billboards with violent or sexual images. I don't take my children to places where I expect that they will be exposed to things I don't want them to be exposed to. I really didn't expect TRU to be such a place.
Holley Shiftwell

Postby Xero » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:18 pm

I gave away 4 Dumbos, 2 Abu's, 3 Buzz's and 1 Mike's Car (plus a bunch of randoms) at the event. I needed nothing and used what I had extra to help other people complete their sets so they could have fun. A much better ROI in my opinion; I don't really see the need to swindle people, esp kids.

rank_0
Xero

Postby Samurai » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 pm

They are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them. Stop paying the huge prices and the prices will fall. Tell your kids not to trade certain ones and you will be fine.

rank_50
Samurai
NN ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity events