D23 Disney Infinity Exclusive Giveaway

Re: D23 Disney Infinity Exclusive Giveaway

Postby Adscan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:33 am

I can see it now, all of us bidding this figure up to a mortgage down-payment on eBay.

Etch
Adscan
Main Console: PS4
XBL ID:

Postby Nibelilt » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:13 am

I just hope that they release this figure later, so that everyone has a chance to get it. :)
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Nivla23 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:23 am

D23 here I come, looking forward to meeting some board members!

rank_50
Nivla23
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby TVBEATLES93 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:27 am

I don't see why the would create a figure and give limited numbers away if they weren't gonna release it to the public later. Maybe it's from a future wave, like the toys r us "exclusive" launch power discs

rank_0
TVBEATLES93

Postby SalmonPink » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:37 am

^ I agree that the idea of them creating an exclusive figure just for D23 probably wouldn't make sense, since they'd have to physically make the figure and program the code so it works in the game. That's a lot of work for something they're not making any money off, since it's being given away for free. So I have two theories about what makes this figure exclusive.

The first (and not particularly likely) is that it's some sort of variant of the figure that will be released down the line. This seems pretty common with convention exclusives. For instance, at a previous D23 an exclusive variant version of a Cinderella doll from an upcoming line was available. It was exactly the same doll that would be available in stores, but the dress was made with silver material instead of blue and it was available in a very limited quantity. (It should be noted that this figure was available to buy, not given as a gift, and I believe the price was higher than the general release dolls.) So if it's a Mickey Infinity figure (which seems likely) maybe he'll be the same figure but have a D23 logo on his back or have the stars on his hat painted with metallic paint or something like that. Or he could be the same figure but in an exclusive D23 presentation box.

However, I think it's more likely that the 'exclusive' nature is that he's being given away exclusively. As in, no other convention or event is giving him away for free. So it'll be exactly the same figure we'll see available for general purchase in the future, but they can still use the word 'exclusive' and have it technically be accurate. See, some people are just going to buy the characters they like best, but Disney Infinity is also going to appeal to the collectors (like me). The people who want everything, every power disc and every character and every variant. If they start giving away exclusives that can't be purchased by the general public, that's going to be trouble for collectors who know their collection will never be complete, which is going to be something that bothers them immensely. That's not really a market you want to alienate before the game's even released! Plus, if a company is making a super rare variant figure, they'd likely want to charge more, not make it a freebie. ;)

But that's just my two cents, and it's all speculation. We likely won't know until D23 (and I think the Infinity presentation is on the last day)!

rank_250
SalmonPink

Postby Fireeye200 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Why do I have this feeling that I know they're gonna add Gravity Falls?

rank_100
Fireeye200
Location: Inside of the Seattle wall, during the American Civil War.
Main Console: PS4
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Dr. Turtle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 pm

I have the same wierd feeling, but with Stitch and Wall-e

rank_250
Dr. Turtle
XBL ID:

Postby KyletheCartoonist » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm

@SalmonPink Testify!
Not dead, just busy. :)

Lotso Transitron
KyletheCartoonist
Main Console: Xbox 360
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Agent C » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:50 pm

I imagine it will be a variant that will not be made available to the public. We may get the figure, but we may not get it in the same color as the one given at D23.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity events