What do you want to see from the community toyboxes?

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Re: What do you want to see from the community toyboxes?

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:38 pm

@ccrunner I look forward to it despite being one who likes short toy boxes. If done well it will pave the way for others looking to do the same, its the members who help the community grow after all

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby CCRunner524 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:34 pm

That's the thing. Everyone puts down 2.0 for the lack of playsets. Noone is willing to try to make some.

rank_2000_ftb_10
CCRunner524
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby semerien » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:46 pm

Well, we put them down for the lack of playsets because despite what they say... we can't make playsets. We can't make 'mission givers' (why isn't there a townsperson behavior of quest giver which makes them stand still and the pick-up option becomes a talk option). We also can't use the mini map to point out objectives, nor do we have anywhere near the level of control over enemies that are in the playsets. We can't attach a text creator to the player to make it look like the player themselves is talking.

The true hinderance is that we can't "save" a players progress in our toy box, and we have to judge how long a player is willing to play our toybox through.

Don't get me wrong, the artists here come up with some amazing, creative and beautiful toy boxes. We just don't have the tools that the developers do to make a true 'playset' style experience.

rank_500_ftb_10
semerien
Disney ID:

Postby CCRunner524 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 pm

I think its totally possible to make mission givers with townspeople and Cast Members. I have no problem doing it. You can even turn off the pick up and add a proposal text to make them talk.

Now the mini map and text we cant really do. Yes a save progress would be nice but there are ways around it to make it work with the satellite receiver if people know about it. For instance I set up mine so that as long as you fire up the first level and exit after it loads your can load to the middle of the toybox and it will still work effectively not making the player start from scratch if they dont want to.

rank_2000_ftb_10
CCRunner524
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:25 pm

@ccrunner the lack of playsets is frustrating for when we get builders block (like writers block but for toy box builders lol) or when my niece or nephew are round and want to play in worlds like from 1.0 (and I haven't had a chance to build certain ones per se).

I only jump into play sets when I need inspiration or can't build.

I'd love cut scenes (similar to erdadi3s lion king) used more.

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby jkhouw1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:57 am

@ccrunner524 - how do you turn off the pick up? and how did you get Sif to stand still?

My issue with playset style is I always hit memory limits - clearly their implementation of decorations uses far less resources than what we get. Even the orbs - their challenges in the playsets have hundreds, if we put down 40 or so there goes half the memory. And all kinds of extra logic toys to do what should be simple tasks (like controlling platforming toys), or work arounds to enforce driving a car/mount, or that mounts don't trigger things that they are supposed to etc - to overcome every one of those is 10 more logic toys than should be needed.

Also, the text creator is a bit flawed - why they don't have a simple "OK" or "continue" instead of always have accept/cancel. Or allow us to enter the text that will be in the buttons.

for the map objectives, I've played with leaving a trail of sparks or other effects controlled by a single effect generator - it works, but there isn't a great effect for it (subtle sparks are hard to see, other ones are too big)

I prefer to create larger expansive story-like toy boxes, but I no longer trust the doors at all so have to work within the constraints of a single box. And I get tired about 1/2 through of continuously building logic to solve what should be a simple task, rather than focussing on the play aspect of the toybox.

Lastly, I really wish there was an option to just turn off collision detection when putting down static items. It would make the scenery so much better. (think Halo's forge for example). And there isn't an issue with collisions of static items - take the scenery for example and the large flagged asgardian columns - they have a large collision area (bigger even than their actual blue/red outline is). but if you change that objects style to something smaller, place it, then change it back it works fine and can intersect other objects. You can even put them coming up the middle of the spinning platforming toys or sliding walls etc. but its so cumbersome to have to keep change back and forth.
Just give us the option to "snap to grid" or turn it off.

Oh - and an option to save state without fully reloading the box for dev purposes. Nothing worse than putting down a ton of decorative items that happen to be destructable, then accidentally destroying them when you test game play. Well there is a lot thats worse, but it is frustrating.

rank_100_ftb
jkhouw1

Postby CCRunner524 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:01 pm

I decided to revive this thread. i have tried out a few new things since then. Created a ongoing story ... which DI released its toybox tales as well. (Doh! :lol:). I created a whole new collection system using terrain. What else could we try and do that the community has been wanting?

@jkhouw1 Sorry I didnt see your reply so I'm replaying now! To turn off the pickup and make sif stand still you use the stopwatch (If you haven't found out by now) Works like a charm :D.

rank_2000_ftb_10
CCRunner524
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Infinity Guru » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:36 pm

We need more gameplay! Enemy battles are fun, but after a while I get tired of fighting the same enemies. Could we make new enemies? I know that sounds weird.. But what's stopping people from making block-art monsters from causing you damage?? Imagineer03 did this in Magic Mayhem 2! with Chernabog and that was really awesome!

Collection games are fun, but orbs and rings can be boring (way to go, CCrunner for thinking out of the box with your latest toybox win).

Why not try scavenger hunts, or coming up with cool objectives and how to fix them (for example, putting out a burning building by 'collecting water' and walking over to it (like I did in my Donald's Dream toybox)). There are so many out of the box thinkers that play this game that can come up with good stories and how to implement fun gameplay other than just using enemies and timed-collection challenges.

So basically, what I like to see in toy boxes is that one thing that makes you go 'Wow! I never thought of doing that! I'll use that in my next submission!"

Since we're a community, we build off of each other! If more people get creative with the tools we have, it could inspire more people to get creative and come up with new types of games that not even the Playsets have!
8 Featured Toy Boxes. Toy Box Summit 2015 Attendee.

rank_250_ftb
Infinity Guru
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

What do you want to see from the community toyboxes?

Postby MightyGitis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:59 pm

@CCRunner524 Okay I really don't wanna do this but, you've said it too many times and I can't anymore.

I used your "new" replayer based collection system in the fall of 2013 in my first featured Toy Box.

I'm sorry the randomizers made it a little different but the collection system existed in 1.0

I love you dearly but please. It hurts me every time I read it.

The truth is in 1.0 that was the ONLY collection method. So really it is retro.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations