What the Toy Box needs now...

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

What the Toy Box needs now...

Postby purplesteve6 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:02 am

I just watched "How To Make A Quest" tutorial on the Disney Infinity YouTube channel. I am AMAZED at the level of detail we have now to create Toy Boxes that can closely resemble Playsets. If you haven't seen it, go watch it. It's very informative.

Anyway, seeing all of this made me want one more toy that would be the icing on the cake: A Portrait Toy. My thought would be that every character, townsperson, and cast member could have a portrait; a head shot, if you will, that is unlocked when they are. The Portrait Creativi-Toy itself will allow you to call on the portrait and display it on screen. You would then use a logic connection to tie it to the text toy so you could actually see a visual of the character who is speaking, giving a mission, or whatever--like we see in the playsets. I don't think it would be that complicated to use (or develop) and it would really allow Toy Box Artists to put that finishing touch of authenticity on their creations.

What do you guys think?

rank_50
purplesteve6
Main Console: Wii U

Re: What the Toy Box needs now...

Postby Quasimod0 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:43 am

I was just thinkin about that today. That's a great idea.

rank_500
Quasimod0
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby hedgehobbit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 pm

It really should be part of the text creator. Choosing whose portrait to display (if any) on each line of text. I asked for this in 2.0 awhile back.

rank_0
hedgehobbit
PSN ID:

Postby jose.abalos » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:07 am

Personally, I would LOVE to have the option of showing character portraits in the Text Creator.

The reason why it hasn't been done yet is because those portraits, under the hood, are deeply tied to the mission system that the engine uses for playsets and missions like the ones in the Toy Box Hub. Decoupling those portraits from the current mission system, and add them to the Toy Box, is NOT a trivial process, and doing it right obviously takes quite a bit of time.
It could have been done for 3.0, but that would have meant taking out replayable missions from playsets and the ability to get a maximum of 3 stars. This feature was made because we got a lot of requests asking for adding more replayability in playsets. And well, that feature got a bigger priority over the portraits.

Obviously, this doesn't mean that it will never happen, but rather I wanted to explain why it hasn't happened yet. We'll definitely make a push for those in the future, because I completely agree that they would make the Toy Box feel more like a playset! :)
The opinions posted here are my own, and not my employer's.

Mickey
jose.abalos
Main Console: PS3

Postby Elmo STM » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:48 pm

The 3 star system and replay missions ability is my favourite new addition

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Goofyboy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Yeah, me too! I love that replay value. So I can live with the picture-less text bubble! :)

Thanks Jose!

rank_250
Goofyboy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Jukiefc » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:19 pm

How do I set up teh 3 star tier for the challenge

rank_0
Jukiefc
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby jose.abalos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:20 pm

The opinions posted here are my own, and not my employer's.

Mickey
jose.abalos
Main Console: PS3

Postby DaddyGeek » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Yeah, portraits would be awesome sauce dipped in pure win. :D

Anyway, I love the replayability of the playsets as well. Heck, even without the 3 star challenges the playsets are worth playing multiple times. I wonder if there is a way we can fake the 3 star experience. Would make for a wonderful challenge.

And I don't know if this was done on purpose, but there so many challenges in the playsets and toy box hub that scream "look at what you can do in the toy box, now go do it!", it's ridiculous! The ideas that they spark make me geek out every time I play them.

rank_100_ftb
DaddyGeek
PSN ID:

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations