Big(ish) Project

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Big(ish) Project

Postby Jaffa Ferel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Well getting down to the nitty gritty of why I signed up, and to avoid the phaff,

I'm working on a Toy Box that involves a hub world, 5 'stages' plus a final boss as well as a few extras. What more I'm trying to make each stage different, in particular throwbacks to games from the 80's and 90's.
Stage 1: City: Designed to be an old school style beat-em-up (akin to Double Dragon but inspired by Maximum Carnage) [I also accidentally submitted this to Disney a week ago, so it -might- be findable as "city (demo)")

Stage 2: Suburbs: This one was to be inspired by Spy Hunter. and this is the one that is giving me trouble. I've got the camera working as I need. However what I want to do is have the road generate randomly. same with the things that appear on the road. I've tried a bunch of stuff with paths too but didn't quite work as planned. (and this is the one I want some help on)

Stage 3: The Labs: Inspired by the descending level from BattleToads (it was actually playing through BattleToads that gave me the whole idea for this Toy Box) as such this I've gotten worked out too, however I have needed to make a few changes but this level is pretty much done too :) So yes a vertical self scrolling level, where if you fall behind your characters die. :)

Stages 4 and 5 I'm still working out. (well 5 is kinda sorted, just need to put the work into it)
I have also included a mini-game and secret level (zelda inspired)

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is a life system that can carry over between levels. (I can get it to work on a level to level basis, but it resets each time)

rank_0
Jaffa Ferel
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Big(ish) Project

Postby semerien » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Your second level definitely sounds like the most challenging to implement. Only thing I can really think of this is some cleverly designed randomizers and replayers.

For the life system, you should look up satellite receivers. They let you carry information between levels.

rank_500_ftb_10
semerien
Main Console: PS4
Disney ID:

Postby Jaffa Ferel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Initially I had been trying to make this using invisible scaleable walls, random generators and paths.
The road was just a path with some 'blacktop' floor tiles all lined up in a repeating path. That didn't work smoothly. Kept getting blank spots even though I'd done the math to make sure there was meant to be no gaps.
The objects were all object spawners set on paths that would travel down the screen then despawn. All triggered by a randomizer.
I still haven't pinned down how to set up the 'bad guy' as in thinking of every time he's hit he gets closer (hit count?) and having a timer to do it within. I believe this would actually be easy to sort out, just figure getting the level to work first is more important to me.

In hindsight I realize I didn't have the random object spawner set up at this point. So since bought that (woo now I have all the toys to make the things)

In regards to satalite receivers, it's what I've used to track that you've completed the 5 levels before allowing you access to the final stage. But I'll have to look into it further. Again as throwbacks to the 80s I don't intend to make these stages easy. I had to redo my first stage a few times (once so I could add in better secret areas and fix some spawning issues with enemies that would somehow end up outside the play area and make progress impossible, another just to refine things more)

rank_0
Jaffa Ferel
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Jaffa Ferel » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Since I have a while before I'm where I need to be, can elaborate some.

Stage 1: Forced 2D perspective street brawler. 2 hidden Collectables (1/3 and 1/5)

Stage 2: Forced 2D Top-Down race and chase game. No hidden Collectables.

Stage 3: Forced 2D vertical self-scrolling platformer. All but the boss and Collectables are done. 1 hidden Collectable (1/3)

Stage 4: 3/4 Camera Diablo style dungeon exploration. 2 hidden Collectables (1/3 and 1/5)

Stage 5: Now this one I'd set up as a arena battle but am now pondering changing it up. 1 hidden Collectable (1/5)

Final: this is planned to be a mix of everything so far. Or at least the core parts. 1 hidden Collectable (1/5)

Secret: Top-Down Zelda inspired dungeon crawler. At least 3 dungeons are planned. No real purpose other then "I could" though also pondering a "bullet hell shooter" akin to R-Type as a plan B.

Mini game: Pachinco Machine: unlocked by finding 3 blueprints spread across the 5 core levels. Also contains one of the Collectables to unlock the secret level

As always though I'm willing to listen to advice and others ideas and of course feedback.

rank_0
Jaffa Ferel
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Sounds like a big project to me...no (ish) about it. I just finished the Vertical scrolling platforming portion of a box last night. It was inspired by the waterfall stage in the original Contra. A challenge maker starts a locator and a camera on a path and you have to keep up and make it to the top of the mountain. There are a few flat spots with enemies waiting. I might add more bad guys.

Two of my featured boxed are levels you have planned: Plinko Mania = Pachinko Machine and The 11th Labor = Zelda: NES Dungeon 1. Complete with the key system and hidden rooms. Three dungeons is quite ambitious! I did eventually submit my original version of the Zelda dungeon after the Hercules skinned version had been out for a while.

If you have any questions about building either of these levels, I would be happy to answer.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations