Speedway Challenge (due 12/30)

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Re: Speedway Challenge (due 12/30)

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:00 am

@e.o arendelle out of curiosity what console are you on as I know one of the tracks you mentioned having issues was made on ps4 so if you're on an older console it can cause issue.

I don't think we have a full checklist for how winners are selected but I know the amount of connections or items placed has to be a certain amount before considered. All boxes that place are play tested to ensure they work though so I would try the levels again (download them to console then play) to see if the issues persist. Good luck in future challenges too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby thebaroness89 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:25 pm

@fdanielx
They should have. Same course layout just different sfx,music,buildings etc. Started to run out of time. You can easily tell Brave,Mulan and Tron were made first. ;)

rank_250_ftb_10
thebaroness89
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby tabaer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:22 pm

I played them all last night and have to say excellent job all of you! @Dadi incredible detail! @thebaroness89 I couldn't tell that you rushed the tracks. They were all well done and only the Lone Ranger one didn't work for me. How you got so much done is amazing. @semerien, @PirateSteven, & @MightyGitis I enjoyed all three tracks but really thought the invisible section in Fantasyland was super creative. It took me until the third lap to see the little sparkles guiding the way. @CCRunner524 it is always nice to return to Neverland. Good use of the shortcut, and thank you for the invisible barriers! I do have to say my favorite toy box was the Marvelous Grand Prix, with my favorite track being the Ghost Rider one. Way to service an underused character! And the helicarrier was amazing, both in the hub and in the Sokovia track. Keep up the good work all of you!

rank_100_ftb
tabaer
Disney ID:

Postby E.O. ARENDELLE » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:11 pm

to @fdanielx -I like the overall presentation and track variety.

to ElmoSTM- I am sure you are right about the Hulk track, it probably works on PS4(I own ps4 and wii u).
I have had projects I created on PS4 not work on Wii U. This is not the fault of the TheBaroness.

rank_0
E.O. ARENDELLE
PSN ID:

Postby thebaroness89 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:00 pm

Ok. Just went thru 3 "tracks" from Frozen Kart.
In a restrained voice...your initial statement just makes me angry. Now I understand that as toybox artists we are going to love our own work...except for me because I love the work of Erdadi3, Mightygitis, Vasuri and Pirate Steve much more than anything I've ever done...anything I create is reflective of my admiration of their past and present work...
That being said...honestly...and I mean honestly go back and look at your toybox and see what it actually is before wondering how the top 5 or the honorable mentions were chosen.
With a contructive voice of advice....you should next time just put all of your effort into one track or toybox whatever the challenge is. Your weak point isn't ideas it's the actual decorative and construction elements. Chocolate Mountain track was literally terrain pieces all one pattern with zero decoration pieces and wasn't a mountain in any sense.
Do what I did...look at the master builders Pirate,Mightygitis, Erdadi3, Vasuri83,Dsmmatt,Vault of Villains,Dizexplorer03 etc...King of the Tunas...really study their building technique.
For building lands and forests etc study Mightygitis.
For block art study CC Runner and Pirate Steve
For Logic building study Semerian and Erdadi3
For storytelling look at Dizexplorer03 and Sonic Photo
For large scale creativity study Vasuri83, Dsmmatt and Vault of Villains
For gameplay that just sucks you in and makes you want to play over and over look at the Toybox Mentors CrazyByNick,PapaEcho,Dr Logic Gate,TyForce et al
And I'm not even naming Infinifan,InfintyGuru,ModelTrainMan,Enrem,Mr Monki,FDanielX,Wanted Gamer,Romulus...so many people you can study and learn from.

Only then will your boxes make that leap from basic to pro. And I'm saying this with lots of love because my first toyboxes were meh and blah and seriously I thought they were the kittens mittens.
Watch twitch streams of Erdadi3, Mightygitis and WantedGamer...join in some sessions of building with other artists...everybody this season is bringing their A+ game to building and challenges and what you got right now was not worth the initial rant. Thats as sweet as I can make that sound.

rank_250_ftb_10
thebaroness89
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby CCRunner524 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Yeah we all had to do some form a research from other people to get where we are. In 1.0 I got zero features. After spending months studying other peoples techniques ... we got our first feature. If you really want to get good at it, you have to start picking apart all the winning toyboxes to see what magic they have for winning. ;)

Finally ... These are the 6 Categories they use for Judging. Yes ... you need to score high in EACH ... not a few. Good luck in the future. Remember Quality of Quantity ;)

rank_2000_ftb_10
CCRunner524
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:58 pm

I always think my stuff is the bees knees. Then I watch mighygitis play it live and realize parts are big shiny piles of wibble.

So, I fix and resubmit. You really need to see someone else play it to realize the flaws. I played my own levels so many times I stop seeing the problems.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby E.O. ARENDELLE » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:43 am

TO thebaroness89:
Thanks for the advice.
I did not wish to sound like I am challenging results here, I am only here to learn from others.
Example:If you had more contest time you could have tested and perfected yours more. And If I wasn't limited with Wii U system resources at
the time my Chocolate Mountain and Chocolate Plains courses would have more closely matched Wario Stadium from N64 as I originally
planned(more hills ,jumps, use of boosts pads). I might consider a jump back to PS4 out of competitive necessity.

Thank you CCRunner524 for a better idea of what I was looking for.

rank_0
E.O. ARENDELLE
PSN ID:

Postby fdanielix » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:13 am

@E.O. Arendelle Using the Wii U's capabilities as an excuse is, well, simply not enough justification. All of my 2.0 featured Toyboxes were made in a Wii U. Maybe you can check those out and see what techniques I used to build solid Toy Boxes on the Wii U.
I tend to focus on gameplay. What I did in most cases was come up with the gameplay of the box I was going to build. Figure out what is that you want the player to experience. After that, build the rest of the box in a way that compliments the experience.

@Tabaer I don't know if you noticed, but after you drive under the skull in Devil's Run, Ghost Rider's bike will drive and leave a trail of fire behind. You can even hear Ghost Rider's chains clinking if you get close enough!
20 Featured
Toy Boxes:

Caleb Dume: Face The Past
Curse Lift-Off

rank_1500_ftb_10
fdanielix
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations