Podracing Challenge (due 1/27)

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Re: Podracing Challenge (due 1/27)

Postby tabaer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Congrats everyone! Looking forward to trying these out. Really interested in Pod Prowling, what a unique take on this challenge.

rank_100_ftb
tabaer
Main Console: PS4
Disney ID:

Postby E.O. ARENDELLE » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:43 pm

I am sorry to say I wonder if the judges take these contests seriously anymore. I commented before about the #speedwaychallenge, the speedway challenge winners were VERY deserving winners compared to what I see this week. I might not participate for a while. My box was "Toy Box Podracer".

1. Felucia's Clandestine Race by @Dad
- I Couldn't properly judge this box because it crashes every time I load it on PS4.

2. Naboo's Podrace Celebration by @Sonicphoto
Gameplay: A short track without much challenge.
Fun: AI idea was interesting but didn't offer much challenge.
Innovation: Podracing AI attempt was the only innovation.
Decor: Above Average
Theme: Acceptable but not a challenging or long track.
Story: n/a

3. Pod Race: Test Drive by @Semerien
Gameplay: I honestly can't see how this won this time.
Fun: Very short leaderboard race without much detail.
Innovation: Toy Box "Test Drive" beats Toy Box Podracer. Really?
Decor: Not much here
Theme: There were better Tatooine themed tracks available.

4. Pod Prowling by @Vasuri83
Gameplay: I am using ranged attacks against podracers on a path in this box.
Fun: The player is not even given a weapon I am aware of.
Innovation: Podracing Challenge, not Pod Shooting challenge. Nothing wrong with out of box thinking but other boxes were better overall.
Decor: Not a lot of décor.
Theme: average

5. Podracing School by Max Thrasher
Gameplay: Interior leading to collectable challenge with C-3P0 to start a Podraceing Challenge.
Fun: Collectable Challenge before a podrace is not necessarily the most fun idea for multiplayer.
Innovation: ?
Decor: The only strong suit of this box.
Theme: ?

Rising Star: Fantasia 500 - inf6201735
Gameplay: Honestly, if this is gameplay to these judges I am worried about the gameplay of Infinity 4.0!(If the same people are the actual developers!)
Fun: Not the most balanced track to be honest.
Innovation: I used super cannons as well.
Decor: Not much décor.
Theme: I have seen better themed tracks.

Are some toy boxes entries just flat out ignored or are the judges pressed for time? I had fun competing, but I will probably stay on the sidelines awhile after these results.

rank_0
E.O. ARENDELLE
PSN ID:

Podracing Challenge (due 1/27)

Postby MightyGitis » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:20 pm

@E.O. Arendelle - funny I thought this was the best judged top five in a while. But I'm sure you as a seasoned builder are much better suited to judge these sort of things

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Romulus77 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:29 pm

If you are this discouraged after 2 challenges, you probably should sit on the sidelines. You don't have the temperament for competition.

Bye Felucia!

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby MightyGitis » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:35 pm

It is tacky to down talk the winners of the top five. It is called poor sportsmanship.

I don't know what races you felt should have won. But I'll tell you right now if they involved regular Cars character AI that's likely why they didn't place.

This is the big leagues. A standard racetrack was never gonna win this. And shouldn't have won this.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby tabaer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:37 pm

@ E/ O. Arendelle toy box building is art and everyone has their opinion about what is good and what is not. If competition is your only reason for building then you might not want to continue building. But if you build purely because you have a story to tell, then competition doesn't really matter. So if you are featured it is just icing on the cake. I featured a couple of times in 1.0, but largely missed out on 2.0. In 3.0 I have built a handful of toy boxes and only one of them featured as the Rising Star in the #INteriorChallenge (and in my opinion that wasn't even my best one, and there were other INterior toy boxes more worthy than mine). I use the weekly challenge as inspiration, but if there wasn't a weekly challenge I'd still build because I enjoy it and feel that I have stories to tell whether anyone wants to hear them or not. If you don't enjoy building then you probably will never produce a toy box people enjoy playing. On the other hand if you do enjoy building then it doesn't matter if people enjoy playing your creation.

rank_100_ftb
tabaer
Disney ID:

Postby semerien » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:54 pm

While I can say I always appreciate constructive criticism, it's hard to take it seriously when you say something like Pod Prowling had no story.

I thought the story behind it was brilliant. You are a young adopted member of the Sand Raider's. Your coming of age test is to shoot at the Pod Racers that are racing around your homelands ... which we see is something the Sand Raiders are actually doing in the movie. Such a great view point and the outside the box thinking was well done, I thought.

rank_500_ftb_10
semerien
Disney ID:

Postby KesselRunImports » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Last night I played a few of the winning boxes, and wish I had the time to play them all. For me one of the coolest parts is just looking around at the things people have built.

Congrats to the winners, I have enjoyed the boxes I played so far and plan to check out the rest.

rank_0
KesselRunImports

Postby thebaroness89 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Now I have to brutally honest which then spells mean.
1. "Not much decor" on Sonic Photos toybox? That's laughable at minimum because it was an excellent decoated box.
2. "No story" on Vasuri83? Again dumbfounded by where your standards are....
Which brings me to:
YOU ARENDELLE HAVE VERY HIGH STANDARDS FOR SOMEONE WHO PRODUCES PEDESTRIAN LOOKING TOYBOXES.
Pedestrian. Pedestrian. Pedestrian.
Which means yes you should sit the sideline because you aren't ready for this level of competition. Period.

rank_250_ftb_10
thebaroness89
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations