Sonic - Green Hill Zone

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Sonic - Green Hill Zone

Postby pjhaan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Has anyone recreated any levels from Sonic The Hedgehog. I was thinking about redoing Green Hill one 1.

I found this image that I was going to base it on

I am not sure How I would do the rolling tunnels though...

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Sonic - Green Hill Zone

Postby Automaton » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Rolling tunnels is not going to work... You can do tunnels of course.. Or maybe a slide rail?
We're all Mad here.

rank_100_ftb
Automaton
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 am

I think the slide rail will be the way to go for the rolling tunnels. I will keep looking through the toys though.

I was thinking about one of the launchers for the springs.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby yoshidrone100 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 pm

This seems like a great idea! Good luck, and don't forget to upload photos and/or videos of the finished project! :D
Aladdin of the Caribbean in Wonderland! Wait, what?

rank_50
yoshidrone100

Postby pjhaan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:26 am

I started working on it a little this evening. I think it is going to take a while. The scale is a little tough to judge and the "half pipe" that allows sonic to roll and jump super high would need to be either a stunt ramp or the wooden quarter pipe but that would break the theme.

I added the side step camera at the beginning and have the depth adjusted but It is very easy to fall off the narrow path. The path needs to be narrow to accommodate the platforms in the background. I may have to make to top deeper and build around the platforms.

I am going to try to use the replayer toy to have the crumbling cliffs disappear once you step on them.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Automaton » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:13 am

Sounds good so far. You have some nice ideas.

I have one thing to say though. All none Cars figures except Dash (who makes a perfect stand in for sonic) dont make enough speed running to profit from ramps and loops.

So basically you would have to either build the level in a way that all figures can traverse it, or build it especially with Dash in mind.
We're all Mad here.

rank_100_ftb
Automaton
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Even Dash with his super speed can't use the quarter pipes, stunt ramps or loops. He just runs into the walls and bounces (at least he does for me).
The cars use them more like a wall to do a u-turn and some stunts and it isn't as easy to get them to go beyond the ramp. This limitation convinced me to use a standard hill or slope in place of the ramps.

Cars are the only characters that can successfully use the loops but this is essential and I can't remove the loops. Characters can simply go around the loops.

As for the path being narrow, I am thinking about using topiary to restrict the back side of the path. I haven't done much with them yet so I am not sure how viable they are as a barrier.

I think this will be a challenge but I hope it turns out!!!

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Chalkluke4 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 pm

He could just use a vehicle at that part guys. Just saying

rank_0
Chalkluke4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby pjhaan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 pm

I figured out the scale (the first platform is 3 blocks wide) and used the second block in the Terrain group as a base. This makes some of the jumps too long and the platforms too high so I am thinking of redoing the level using the smallest terrain block (the first option) which is half the size of the block I am currently using.

I am going to try it with 3 options for completing the level. Each view could be triggered by either a volume trigger or a button but I haven't decided yet.

1. Using a Side Step camera to match the original Sonic level
2. Using a Birds-Eye camera for a top down view of the level
3. Standard view from behind the character.

I just wish there was an easy way to stop the characters from falling off the ledge when using the Side Step camera...like an invisible barrier to keep them on the straight and narrow. Does anyone know of a toy that would help me with that?

I am not sure when I will have time to get back to it but I am very excited by this level.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations