Sonic - Green Hill Zone

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Re: Sonic - Green Hill Zone

Postby Automaton » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Well the only way to make it less possible to fall off in sideview mode is by putting a wall behind it unfortunatly.
I really feel they completely forgot some things when it comes ot that camera mode.. but oh well.

However, what I do want to point out is that there have been plenty of Sonic games that had 3D levels or entire games. The best of all of them is Sonic Generations which lets you play each level in 2D or 3D mode.
We're all Mad here.

rank_100_ftb
Automaton
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:50 am

I have Generations but I only have it on the 3DS and don't remember the 3D levels. Maybe that was only on the console version. I want to capture the original but I understand I will need to create a deeper level in order to keep the player safe.

I redid the first part of the level (finished until the 2nd bridge) using the smaller scale. I created a background area that can be explored and will prevent people from falling off the back easily. I will try to keep that background going on the lowest level. The only compromise I had to make was to widen the "quarter ramps" and use a different piece because nothing fit the scale.

I was getting some weird behavior with the special cameras last night. I set up three cameras (Side scroll, top down and a Side Scroll from behind). Whenever I entered the camera view, no matter which direction I was facing and holding the left stick, Dash ALWAYS zoomed towards the background. It isn't that big a deal since I added the larger background play area but that defeats the purpose of a side scroller!

Has anyone else experienced that behavior with the cameras?

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Automaton » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Wait what? Let me get this right. You're saying you activate the side scroll camera which locks the camera in position but then when you push the stick left the figure doesn't run left along the sides rollers 2d loping but into the background?

Trays really weird.. Never had that before.. Only thing you can change that I know off is the fixed camera or player following camera in both modes..
We're all Mad here.

rank_100_ftb
Automaton
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:22 pm

That is exactly what happened. It is quite possible it was a one time fluke and it will be fine the next time I load my toy box. If it does it again, I will delete the cameras and set up new cameras.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:06 am

I finally got to work on this again tonight. I am close to the end of the level as far as terrain goes. I haven't found the right plants yet but I did add all the check points and the totem poles through out the level. I just finished with the "rolling tunnels" which I converted to spiral rails.

I deleted the cameras but when I added new cameras again, Dash still runs to the back of the stage.

I took a little video of the level tonight but there is no audio. Most of the extra boackground area I added revolves around the Waterfall areas and bridges.

The video is just a spark mode overview right now.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Daiohma » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 pm

That is looking great!

rank_0
Daiohma
Main Console: Xbox One
NN ID:

Postby pjhaan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:56 am

I finished up the terrain and a majority of the trees and other decorative touches tonight. I am not really happy with the plant selection for recreating the flowers. I used to two Pirate Palm Trees throughout most of the level. I even have one of the trees with a hidden spring in it. Of course you can't reach it with a double jump so it is kind of pointless right now...

All of the areas in the back ground should have a way to get back to the foreground if you fall off the back or just want to explore.

The camera still doesn't work with Dash's super speed. He always zooms towards the background instead of the direction you are running. I took about 10 minutes of video tonight of me walking through the level. I will load that video once I am able to edit it and add commentary.

The side scrolling makes the depth of field very hard to track and it is very hard to hit the slide rails and other toys that need to be properly lined up.

I haven't added any enemies to the level yet. Does anyone have any suggestions for activities that I can add to the background area?

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:08 am

I made another video of the level last night after finishing the terrain of the main path and adding the palm trees and a few plants. You can see the issues I had with Dash zooming into the background near the beginning of the video.

This is my first video walk through with a voice over so please feel free to give me constructive criticism.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Wed May 06, 2015 8:05 pm

I am going to revisit this now using the scalable barriers and other new 2.0 toys!

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations