Sonic - Green Hill Zone

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Re: Sonic - Green Hill Zone

Postby pjhaan » Fri May 15, 2015 3:06 am

I manually made the loop using all the parts from the People Mover template.

Here is Loop version 2.0.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Tue May 19, 2015 5:23 pm

I have the collectibles added to the level (up to where I am finished with the layout): Yellow orb = 1 ring; Blue Armored Orb = 10 rings; I have a giant trigger area under the level hooked to a kill switch that resets the counter and the collectibles.

Is there a way to decrement the collectible counter when the player is damaged? I am trying to simulate losing rings if you get hit by spikes or bad guys.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Sun May 24, 2015 4:33 am

I am done with the layout until just after the tunnels. I set all three tunnels up like people movers. I also have all the falling platforms hooked up.

There is only the last section with the final waterfall left. My photo with the grid is unavailable now as my laptop is in the shop (bad hard drive cable). I could approximate the layout but everything else is pretty much a 1-for-1 recreation...

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:44 am

The end is near!!! I have the layout and decorations all done. I have all the collectibles placed (yellow for 1 and Blue Armored for 10). I have all the falling platforms placed and hooked up! I have the "finish line" set with mini explosions and a pop in sign (obviously it isn't Dr. Robotnik). I have scalable barriers through about 80% of the level but the last 20% should go pretty quickly! If somehow you fall off the bottom or side of the level, it is instant death and the level will reset the collectibles and send you back to the nearest checkpoint.

I tried a different approach with the second "super ramp" I used a trigger area (scaled down) attached to a Weather vane to blow the player to the destination. the weather vane turns off after 3 seconds so they go pretty far. The trigger is small enough that you can jump over it though. I haven't gone back (and won't) to fix the first ramp because I would have to redo A LOT of the early part of the level.

I know some of the stuff I set up won't look right if you try to go backwards in the level... I will have to live with that...

The main thing I have left is to figure out what types of enemy characters to put in the level to best simulate sonic bad guys and how to lock them into a specific area.

I am also thinking about trying a block art intro before the level starts but I am not sure how to do those. I am assuming a locator and a camera but I need to figure out the rest.

Any guidance you talented toy box artists can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

EDIT: I got the block art started and hooked it to a target camera and the level starter. After I got a ways into the block art, I realized I didn't put it far enough away from the rest of the level. If only there were an area selection tool that would allow you to select a large area of a toy box and move it all together!!!

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:04 am

My first attempt at block art!

It isn't animated but I think it looks pretty good. This is what you will see when the level loads...

I am not quite done but I just shared the box with my Wii U friends. If anyone else wants to test it out, just send me the Wii U Friend request.

The only thing left is finishing the scalable barriers to keep the players on the path (95% done) and adding the bad guys.

I won't have time to finish it this weekend but hopefully sometime early next week...

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:35 am

I finished the barriers and changed the end of the level to use a logic gate (my first). I have several things hooked up to the level starter including a default checkpoint. Sometimes when the level loads, the side scroll camera kicks in and the view is really far away...can't see the character far away!!!! Other times it loads just fine. Also, a few of my barriers get slightly resized whenever I reload.

I am still not that happy with the enemy selection for the level. Can anyone give me advice on limiting the movement of the enemies I place?

The level is on my Disney account if any friends want to take a look...

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:56 am

I have been trying to put the finishing touches on the level and upload it tonight. Some of the barriers keep either repositioning or resizing. I completely deleted them and added new in their place. They keep moving the the same position but all the other changes I made are still in place.

When I try to fix one thing, the next time I load it, something else is broken. I placed enemies throughout the level but they have disappeared.

So, being the perfectionist I am, I am not quite happy with the results. Although I think right now they are as good as I am going to get them. I was finally going to load it but I tried one more play through and it glitched at the beginning of the level. Anytime I would make Stitch Jump or roll, he would teleport back to the beginning of the level. Wierd!!! It stopped eventually and I just finished the upload.

I will post a link if/when it is uploaded into the community content. It is called "Greenhill Zone 1".

Bueller? Bueller?

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:29 pm

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Sonicphoto » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:16 pm

The block art looks amazing, I will try it out soon and let you know.

rank_250_ftb_10
Sonicphoto
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations