Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:30 am

If Rey isn't Han's daughter I'm going to karate chop whoever made that TV spot. The whole familiar eyes thing seems like an obvious indicator of their relationship.

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby braiko » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 am

@InfinityApprentice

Apparently C-3PO's red arm is explained in the new C-3PO comics by Marvel which are set before The Force Awakens.

@Mr. Vasuri83

It's certainly not being subtle, almost to the point where I wonder if they are trying to give us a red herring.. Maybe she's Han's neice (on Leia's side) :P
YNWA

rank_250
braiko
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID: braiko

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:24 pm

New banners for Star Wars: The Force Awakens with Rey and Kylo Ren :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Image Image
David Archuleta, Pikachu, Disney, Frozen and Smash Bros fan :D

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14
Main Console: Wii U

Postby InfinityApprentice » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:55 am

Technically, all 4 "kids" could be Han's. Leia did say he was a scoundrel! :D

Padmé Amidala (aka Mrs. Skywalker) had R2-D2, Anakin Skywalker made C-3PO, and Luke and Leia were both in possession R2-D2 and C-3PO at one time or another. Could BB-8 being with Rey be a Skywalker clue?

Oh, the mystery of it all!! :)
"Some imagination, huh?" Mickey Mouse, Fantasmic

rank_750
InfinityApprentice
Main Console: PS3

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Terminally ill fan who saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens early has died

Daniel Fleetwood, the terminally ill man whose dying wish to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens was granted last week, has died at the age of 32.

His wife, Ashley Fleetwood, shared the news early Tuesday morning. “Daniel put up an amazing fight to the very end. He is now one with God and with the force. He passed in his sleep and in peace,” she wrote on Facebook, sharing a final photo they took together.

Fleetwood, a Star Wars fan since childhood, had been diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma, a connective tissue cancer, and did not expect to live until The Force Awakens’ Dec. 18 release date.

A campaign to allow him to see the film early went viral earlier this month, using the hashtag #ForceForDaniel, and caught the attention of Star Wars cast members like Mark Hamill and John Boyega.

Last Thursday, Ashley Fleetwood announced on Facebook that Disney allowed Daniel to see an unedited version of the film. She also revealed that The Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams called the couple personally to reveal that Daniel’s wish would be granted.

Abrams granted a similar wish for a dying fan in 2013, arranging for a Star Trek fan with terminal cancer to see Star Trek Into Darkness before it was released. That man died just days after seeing the film.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

John Boyega pays tribute to terminally ill Star Wars fan who died after seeing The Force Awakens

Daniel Fleetwood, the terminally ill man whose final wish was to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has died days after seeing the movie, and John Boyega paid tribute to Fleetwood on Twitter.

“Glad you got to see the movie [and] more importantly that you slept in peace,” the Force Awakens star wrote. “God bless you man. You inspire me.”

The lifelong Star Wars fan had been diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma, a connective tissue cancer, and did not know if he would live to see The Force Awakens in theaters in December. His story went viral when a campaign with the hashtag #ForceForDaniel was launched to allow the 32-year-old to see the movie early, and Star Wars cast members like Boyega, Peter Mayhew, and Mark Hamill all retweeted posts spreading the word about Fleetwood and his wish.

Last week, Disney screened an unedited version of The Force Awakens for Fleetwood, after director J.J. Abrams called him to tell him his wish had been granted. His wife, Ashley, announced on Facebook early Tuesday morning that her husband had died.

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Hollywood Reporter

4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens covers for Entertainment Weekly

Image Image Image Image

This Week's Cover: The awakening begins with EW's exclusive inside look at Star Wars

Let’s say you fired a beam of light into the sky at the exact moment J.J. Abrams said yes to directing the launch of a new Star Wars trilogy. As of right now, it would still be traveling through the vast emptiness of space, more than a year from the nearest star to our own.

When you think about it that way, the makers of The Force Awakens were moving a lot faster than lightspeed.

In that same three-year period, Abrams and his cast and crew ventured through unfathomable timespace to an entirely different galaxy – and back again. They bring with them the start of a new saga that pretty much our entire pop-culture- consuming planet is awaiting.

The good news: It’s almost here. The bad news? As Yoda says, “Patience you must have.”

While you’re waiting for Dec. 18 to arrive, Entertainment Weekly has you covered with a special double issue this week devoted to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

These collector editions feature four different covers: Han Solo striking a familiar pose with his blaster, Rey wielding her staff, Finn on high alert, and R2-D2 and C-3PO (basically chilling.)

Here’s just some of what you’ll find inside:

Behind-the-scenes of The Force Awakens

From the origins of George Lucas handing off his saga to a new generation, to how the artists and storytellers unleashed their imaginations to come up with new creatures, locations, and characters. This story talks to the major players and reveals never-before-seen images from the film.

We go light on spoilers, but Abrams does tease a few character details, including background on Lupita Nyong’o’s alien pirate Maz Kanata, what name Princess Leia is known by now, and what we need to know about Starkiller Base, the planet-sized weapon glimpsed in the movie’s poster.

The Return of Han Solo

We venture into Harrison Ford’s airplane hangar in Santa Monica for an in-depth interview with the death-defying actor about surviving his real-life plane crash, surviving a Millennium Falcon door slamming on him during filming, and Han Solo surviving long enough for the actor to play him again.

Where Is Luke Skywalker?

We can’t answer that question. (That’s the movie’s job.) But Abrams and Mark Hamill explain how the last Jedi went from hero to intergalactic man of mystery. The galaxy’s memory of Skywalker may have faded, but don’t worry – the filmmakers have not forgotten him.

Finn and Rey

Daisy Ridley and John Boyega talk about breaking down racial and gender barriers in Star Wars, as well as finding friendship – in real life, and onscreen – through a desert scavenger and a runaway stormtrooper who have more in common than you’d expect.

Creatures and Vehicles

Secrets of BB-8 and the Jakku alien huckster known as Bobbajo, and tech specs from the production design team for Rey’s rust-flecked speeder and the refurbished Millennium Falcon.

Dressing the Galaxy

Molly Smith writes about the costumes and make-up of The Force Awakens and its predecessors, detailing the secrets of Kylo Ren’s mask, Han Solo’s jacket, and Rey’s desert gear – and some of the more iconic outfits from the original trilogy.

The 1-Minute Guide

Your go-to guide to each of the previous six Star Wars films. Kevin P. Sullivan’s wry rundown is for those who, you know, haven’t had time over the past 38 years to stay current.

Canon Fodder

Once there was the “expanded universe,” and then it shrunk. Darren Franich explores the known reaches of which stories make up the current Star Wars galaxy, from the comics, to games, novels, TV and film.

Check back to EW.com throughout the day. We’ll be revealing some new images and information soon….

Pick up Entertainment Weekly’s special Star Wars: The Force Awakens double issue on newsstands Friday

Harrison Ford IS Han Solo

Brand new stills from Star Wars: The Force Awakens :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Credit: Entertainment Weekly

18 New Star Wars: The Force Awakens Photos, Plus New Details on The First Order

In addition, some new details about the film’s “First Order” have been released by the magazine, including the reveal that Gwendoline Christie’s Captain Phasma was originally designed as a look for Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren, but it inspired J.J. Abrams to create a new character.

“I just thought it would be really cool if we could find someone to play the part who was female, and I’m a fan of Game of Thrones; Gwendoline is in that show, [The Force Awakens casting director] Nina Gold casts it, she knew Gwendoline, obviously. We were very lucky to get to have her in the movie. She’s not in many scenes, but her presence is powerfully felt when she’s there.”

Furthermore, John Boyega revealed an interesting detail about the First Order’s indoctrination of their Stormtroopers, who are born to serve in their army and taught about none other than Luke Skywalker, who he has been told his entire life “was a villain who destroyed the benevolent Empire.”

Source: ComingSoon.net

She's not called 'Princess' Leia anymore ...
Carrie Fisher on returning to the toughest woman in the galaxy.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a fantasy, but it’s no fairy tale.

There are heroes, and monsters, a castle, and magic and machines that defy belief. There’s even a princess, although … nobody in the galaxy calls Leia that anymore.

“She’s referred to as General,” says director and co-writer J.J. Abrams. “But … there’s a moment in the movie where a character sort of slips and calls her ‘Princess.’”

Okay, so almost no one calls her that anymore. You’ll have to imagine who slips — and how it goes over.

We’ve already glimpsed one emotional moment between Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher’s characters: Han and Leia, reunited on the tarmac of a Resistance base, embracing tenderly, almost sadly.

“The stakes are pretty high in the story for her, so there’s not much goofing around where Leia’s concerned,” Abrams said. “But it felt historic to have her, especially with Harrison, back in scenes together. I can only imagine the baggage that they bring to it, I’m just a fan who loves this stuff, but they’ve been living with it — and living in it — since ’77.”

The veteran cast members couldn’t give a damn, actually.

“I think we’re pretty sick of each other by now, so we pretend to be interested in each other between takes,” Fisher jokes. “And we fail. I’m mostly interested in how [Ford] stays in such good shape. I can talk to him about that for a long time.”

She has a knack for cutting through treacle with a sense of humor more piercing than a lightsaber, which proved to be a vital resource on this movie.

“[The shoot] wasn’t without incident; it wasn’t without difficulty; it wasn’t without tears shed and bones broken and things that could never have been anticipated happening,” Abrams says, referring to the on-set accident that sidelined Ford on only his second day in front of the cameras. “But with everything in the aggregate, it was a truly joyful experience, and I think that that has to do with the fact that people as funny as Carrie Fisher were simply there.”

Fisher’s okay not being “princess” anymore, but given what Abrams says about her, she thinks the other characters should address Leia a little differently. “People should say, ‘Hey! You! My one true joy!’” she says.

Abrams said Fisher reminds him of the director of the first movie he worked on with Ford, as the screenwriter of 1991’s Regarding Henry.

“She is crazy brilliant. She’s actually, she reminds me more than anyone I’ve met of Mike Nichols, which is why, I think, when they did Postcards from the Edge, they got along so famously,” he says. “It’s an amazing thing, her sort of free-associative mind, her ability to find humor in anything — she’s like a divining rod for wordplay. She’s incredible.”

One thing that initially gave him pause was, not only had Fisher not played Leia, but she hadn’t acted, period, for years. “She’d been writing more than she had been acting,” Abrams says. “So I think that for her, it was a bigger adjustment, which she made beautifully.”

Part of the reason it was a big adjustment is Leia is far from the movie’s comic relief. As Abrams said, her story is one of the heavier ones in the film. So how is the General handling things when we meet her again?

“Not easily,” Fisher says, describing Leia as, “solitary. Under a lot of pressure. Committed as ever to her cause, but I would imagine feeling somewhat defeated, tired, and wibble.”

Leia was once the only role model for girls in the original films. What does the actress hope that the original generation of fans, now grown up, may take away from this version of Leia?

Fisher response is simple and without sarcasm: “Never give up.”

‘Star Wars’: Princess Leia’s New Title and 4 More Teases for ‘The Force Awakens’

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:54 pm

When Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters, it will be bigger than life in immersive IMAX 3D. Get a first look at the film's official IMAX poster.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: J.J. Abrams reveals backstory of alien Maz Kanata
There's a secret in her eyes.

“I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people. I see your eyes. I know your eyes.”

One thing we haven’t seen, at least not in any detail, is the character speaking these words in the recent TV spot for The Force Awakens: Maz Kanata, the diminutive alien played by 12 Years a Slave Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o.

But she’s been hiding in plain sight, and many fans have already guessed: Kanata is in the center of the movie’s poster, sporting a small smile and a large pair of dark goggles.

“That’s Maz,” says director J.J. Abrams. Although we don’t know who she’s addressing directly in the trailer narration, the footage focuses heavily on Daisy Ridley’s Rey. It actually reveals a lot more about Maz than we realize.

Her eyes have special meaning and power. “I had some specific ideas about how she would work and what she would do,” Abrams says. “I had this pitch about these goggles that she wore. Her eyes are an important aspect of her character, and you’ll see how it plays out.”

Nyong’o couldn’t go into the specifics about Maz’s eyes and capabilities, but said their traits gave her something compelling to explore. “As an actor for films, your eyes are a lot of the way you communicate anyway,” says Nyong’o. “So it was definitely a gift to have that be the means to her magic as a motion-capture character.”

Abrams was willing to go a little further and reveal some of the backstory behind Kanata and the castle she inhabits with a court of misfits and miscreants. “Her history is that she was a pirate for a long time,” he says. “She’s lived over a thousand years. She’s had this watering hole for about a century, and it’s like another bar that you’d find in a corner of the Star Wars universe.”

What kind of species is she? What is her homeworld? “All that backstory will be forthcoming,” Abrams says. “In the movie, you don’t learn these things, but I know that these are things that are coming out in other venues.” So keep your own eyes out for more of Maz’s past to be fleshed out in books or games.

Maz seems to serve as this movie’s wise, ancient alien with connections to the mystical side of the galaxy. “I wanted to do the creature as a puppet originally, but once we figured out the things that she was required to do, it felt like [performance capture] was the way to go,” Abrams said. And she’s one of the few creatures in her court who is not a real-life, practical effect. According to Abrams, the digital artists had a high standard to meet to make her blend in with the others.

“Maz needed to look and feel and be just like one of those creatures. And given her mobility, and given the role that she played, it became clear that that was one creature where we should use the tool of CG,” he says. “But the performance was all Lupita. She was there on set, and we did capture sessions afterwards as well, and I can’t say enough about working with her.”

Nyong’o was also a newcomer to performance-capture work, but she was coached by Andy Serkis (Gollum in The Lord of the Rings, Caesar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes) at his digital studio, The Imaginarium. He also co-stars in The Force Awakens as Supreme Leader Snoke, another character we have yet to see (more on him here), and although they don’t share any scenes together as characters, they worked closely behind the scenes.

“The biggest advice he gave me, that was so important to hold on to, is a motion-capture character you develop the same way as any other. You have to understand who the character is and what makes them who they are,” she says.

So who is Maz? Besides a (literally) small businesswoman?

“You went to the big man himself, when you talked to J.J.” Nyong’o says with a laugh. “So you have gotten as much as you’re going to get, I’m afraid.”

Supreme Leader Snoke: Andy Serkis on the 'damaged' villain of Star Wars: The Force Awakens

For those frustrated by the lack of information about Supreme Leader Snoke, Andy Serkis feels your pain. When he started work on Star Wars: The Force Awakens as the performance-capture character, he had no idea either.

“It’s the first time I’ve been on set not yet knowing what the character’s gonna look like. I mean, talk about secrecy!” the actor says.

Serkis is known for his pioneering work in motion-capture, merging human performance with digital characters to create Gollum in The Lord of the Rings films, King Kong, and Caesar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. (When he spoke with EW, he was having his dots applied and camera attached to start the day’s work on the third installment in that series, War of the Planet of the Apes.)

Each character is always a collaborative process with the filmmakers and visual effects artists, but in the case of Snoke, the look, voice, and movements evolved based on how far Serkis and director and co-writer J.J. Abrams could push the tech.

“When we first started working on it, he had some rough notions of how Snoke was gonna look, but it really hadn’t been fully-formed and it almost came out of discussion and performance,” Serkis says.

Snoke kept changing, not only through principle photography, but even after. (So any “early concept art” that may be floating around online is probably nowhere near what this dark-hearted character looks like.)

“We shot on set of course, and I was in the scenes I have with other actors, but the beauty of this process is you can go back and reiterate, keep informing and honing beats and moments,” Serkis says. “So J.J., after we shot last year, we’ve had a series of sessions where I’d be in London at The Imaginarium, my studio, while he’s been directing from L.A., and we’ve literally been creating further additions and iterations to the character. That’s been fascinating. And in the meantime I’ve been able to see the look and design of the character grow and change as the performances change. So it’s been really exciting in that respect.”

While Snoke’s final appearance, as well as his motives and history, will likely be saved for the Dec. 18 movie to reveal, Serkis did provide a little background on the Supreme Leader, whose voice was heard on the very first teaser trailer nearly a year ago.

Here’s what Serkis can share about Snoke: For one, obviously he’s not a nice guy. And he’s a long-range schemer, not an impulsive hothead type.

“Supreme Leader Snoke is quite an enigmatic character, and strangely vulnerable at the same time as being quite powerful,” Serkis says. “Obviously he has a huge agenda. He has suffered a lot of damage. As I said, there is a strange vulnerability to him, which belies his true agenda, I suppose.”

While Abrams has emphasized a return to practical effects on The Force Awakens, is Snoke perhaps a character who could have been played by Serkis in make-up?

“No, no,” the actor says. “The scale of him, for instance, is one reason. He is large. He appears tall. And also just the facial design – you couldn’t have gotten there with prosthetics. It’s too extreme. Without giving too much away at this point, he has a very distinctive, idiosyncratic bone structure and facial structure. You could never have done it [in real life.]”

He says Snoke and Maz Kanata, the tiny alien character Lupita Nyong’o plays, “are the only two performance-capture characters in an otherwise very analog world.”

If Snoke is a “damaged” character, that raises the question: Did his wounds come from the clash between the Rebellion and the Empire, seen in the original Star Wars trilogy? Serkis hesitates here, but then says he believes Snoke was outside of that conflict.

“No, he’s a new character in this universe. It is very much a newly-introduced character,” Serkis says. “He’s aware of what’s gone on, in the respect that he has been around and is aware of prior events. I think it’d be fair to say that he is aware of the past to a great degree.”

And yet, he is plotting to unleash further conflict on the galaxy. So much for philosopher George Santayana’s famous quote: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Maybe it’s hard to see such things on the Dark Side.

Where is Luke Skywalker? J.J. Abrams and Mark Hamill grapple with the question

Luke Skywalker has gone from hero to MacGuffin.

Filmmaking aficionados know the term, popularized by Alfred Hitchcock, as being an object or mystery that drives the story – more Maltese Falcon than Millennium Falcon. It’s the thing the heroes are trying to find, or understand. It’s the puzzle they’re trying to unlock.

For any Luke Truthers out there, I can assure you: Mark Hamill is definitely in The Force Awakens. But the absence of his face in the trailers and the poster has vexed fans who are wondering: Where is the man once heralded as the last Jedi?

“No one forgot about him!” director J.J. Abrams promises. “We were hoping people would care, but there are a lot of things that are not on the poster, as busy as the poster is. Certainly Luke is a very important aspect of the story.”

That question, Where is Luke?, is one the movie is going to answer. So it can’t very well tell you up front.

NOT “WHERE,” BUT “WHO”?

A similar question is actually the thing that made Abrams say yes to directing the film. “In the context of talking about story and laying out what we were thinking, I said one thing to him: ‘Who is Luke Skywalker?’” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told EW in August.

She said she couldn’t elaborate any further on what that question means, but you can read any number of things into it. And all of them may be true.

Who is Luke Skywalker? Is he really the person we thought we knew? Did crude Jedi training and the emotional and physical scars of battle, not to mention learning that a galactic tyrant was his father, take a toll that warped the pie-eyed farmboy who longed for adventure?

Was Yoda right about him being impulsive and impatient? “If you end your training now – if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did – you will become an agent of evil.” Return of the Jedi seemed to prove Yoda wrong. Vader turned, the Emperor was destroyed, and balance – whatever that means – seemed to have been brought to the Force.

But what if Yoda was the misguided warrior, bent by cynicism from his years of fighting the good fight? What if Luke was more noble than the little green guy gave him credit for? It’s possible Luke is engaged in an act of dedication and self-sacrifice that has estranged him from his friends and loved ones, however much they miss him.

FORGOTTEN HEROES

The filmmakers didn’t forget about Luke, but others in the galaxy may have.

“It was the thing that struck me the hardest, which was the idea that doing a story that took place nearly 40 years after Jedi meant that there would be a generation for whom Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Leia would be as good as myth,” Abrams says. “They’d be as old and as mythic as the tale of King Arthur. They would be characters who they may have heard of, but maybe not. They’d be characters who they might believe existed, or just sounded like a fairy tale.”

This is especially true of Daisy Ridley’s Rey, a young woman who was abandoned on the desert world of Jakku as a child and forced to eke out a meager existence as a scavenger amid its battlefield junkyards.

“To someone who is living alone and struggling without a formal education or support system, who knows what that person in the literal middle of nowhere would have ever heard about any of these things, or would ever know, and how much that person would have to infer and piece together on their own,” Abrams says. “So the idea that someone like that would begin to learn that the Jedi were real, and that the Force exists, and that there’s a power in the universe that sounds fanciful but is actually possible, was an incredibly intriguing notion.”

John Boyega’s Finn, raised from childhood to be a stormtrooper for The First Order, has actually heard of Luke Skywalker, but he was given a starkly different picture of him. “For Finn, he’s been raised from the ashes of the Empire,” says Boyega. “He’s been taught about Luke Skywalker, he knows about his history. For him it’s like joining the army and then learning about one of the great enemies of your country. It has that effect on him. But in terms of the Force, and the magical stuff that happens, that is the point where Finn kind of questions what is what. What is the Force, what part does Luke Skywalker play in all of this?”

Han Solo, he adds, doesn’t inspire the same fear. For Finn, it really is kind of: “Han who?”

“To a stormtrooper they’ve probably been given a watered down bit about Han Solo or something,” he says. “It doesn’t feel as magical and mythical and historical, so you know. It’s quite fun playing that not really knowing who these people are.”

He ends up in possession of the lightsaber that once belonged to Luke, and to Luke’s father before him. It was last seen tumbling down an air shaft after Darth Vader sliced off his hand and revealed that he, he was Luke’s father. In this film … it’s an important piece of the puzzle that will reveal Luke’s fate and whereabouts.

Continue reading it from here

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:00 am

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:56 am

First look at Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Constable Zuvio

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is now, incredibly, a mere month away from release – and if you can hardly believe this fact, prepare to be even more excited: here’s an exclusive first look at new character Constable Zuvio.

A few bits of merchandising aside, this is the first time we have clapped eyes on the character, who is described by LucasFilm as a “vigilant law officer on a mostly lawless world” who “keeps order in a frontier trading post”. He’s also apparently “tough and humorless”.

That’s about all we know of the mysterious Zuvio, who has not yet appeared in any trailers or official marketing material for the film. There’s no word on what race of alien he is. There’s no word on which actor is playing him, nor on where he’s based – though judging from this photo, it’s a reasonable bet that he lives to be on the desert planet Jakku.

As with everything on this movie, J.J. Abrams and Disney are keeping their sabacc cards close to their chests. There are more secrets to be uncovered in our Force Awakens issue, due out on November 26. And all will be revealed when – and we can still hardly believe it is actually happening – Star Wars: The Force Awakens is finally released, on December 17 in the UK, and December 18 in the US.

Source: Empire

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

PreviousNext

Return to Disney movies and tv