Maleficent

Re: Maleficent

Postby Star Command » Sat May 31, 2014 7:05 pm

I saw the movie yesterday, and I was very impressed. I was excited about the movie since I saw the trailers. There were a few twists here and there that had me surprised. I kind of wish there were more dark moments, but over all, it was very enjoyable. That's all I can say without giving out any spoilers. I highly recommend this movie.
To infinity, and beyond!

Disney Infinity Figures Obtained: 14

rank_50
Star Command
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Weekend Report: 'Maleficent' Casts Box Office Spell, 'Million Ways' Dies

Maleficent got off to a strong start in the U.S. and abroad this weekend, while Seth MacFarlane's A Million Ways to Die in the West flopped.

Disney's big-budget reimagining of Sleeping Beauty earned $69.4 million at the domestic box office, which is the biggest debut ever for star Angelina Jolie. Meanwhile, it grossed roughly $100 million overseas, which is a significant improvement over 2013's Oz The Great and Powerful.

Playing at 3,948 locations, Maleficent opened noticeably higher than Snow White and the Huntsman ($56.2 million), which debuted on the same weekend two years ago. Still, it was nowhere near Alice in Wonderland (2010), and also wound up a bit shy of Oz The Great and Powerful ($79.1 million).

Maleficent's success can be attributed in part to the enduring popularity of Disney's animated fare: Sleeping Beauty has tons of fans who were clearly excited to see a new take on the story. Maleficent isn't the last time that Disney is mining its animated library for live-action stories: they have Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella and Jon Favreau's The Jungle Book on the 2015 calendar.

It's also important to note that Maleficent was the first major Summer movie targeted toward women. At the risk of sounding redundant, women make up half of the population and half of moviegoers and will continue to reward movies with interesting lead female characters.

Finally, Maleficent likely got a boost from having Angelina Jolie in the title role. Jolie has been a solid box office draw throughout her career, but hasn't appeared in front of the camera since late 2010. Her return to the big-screen—in an exciting, unique role—was surely cause for excitement among her fanbase.

Maleficent's audience was 60 percent female and 51 percent over the age of 25. Families accounted for 45 percent of attendance. The movie grossed $6.7 million in IMAX, and 3D showtimes represented 35 percent of sales.

Moviegoers awarded Maleficent a strong "A" CinemaScore, which is in contrast to its middling reviews (around 50 percent on Rotten Tomatoes). If Maleficent plays out like Oz, Alice and Snow White, it should wind up between $190 and $200 million.

Around-the-World Roundup

Opening in 47 markets, Maleficent earned an impressive $100.6 million this weekend. According to Disney, that's 40 percent ahead of Oz The Great and Powerful across the same group of territories.

The movie's biggest market was Mexico, where it opened to a 2014-best $13.4 million. It was also strong in Russia ($11.5 million) the U.K. ($11 million), Italy ($6.4 million), Brazil ($5.4 million) and the Philippines ($4 million). Other major territories include Germany ($5.2 million), France ($4.9 million), Spain ($3.9 million), Australia ($3.9 million) and South Korea ($3.8 million). With China and Japan still on the way, Maleficent is guaranteed to earn over $300 million total.

Source: Box Office Mojo
David Archuleta, Pikachu, Disney, Frozen and Smash Bros fan :D

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14
Main Console: Wii U

Postby ElvisRV » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:49 am

All I want to say is that the movie was fantastic, I only hated the first few minutes with young Maleficent, however, it was tolerable. And I cried so... :D
I'm a big fan of Pixar and Disney Movies, and the Skylanders games. The Cars franchise and Ratatouille are my favorite Pixar movies. Paperman is my favorite thing to ever come out of Disney!
Credit goes to toops for my avatar!

rank_500
ElvisRV
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby ntnon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:53 am

I enjoyed it. Not as much as some of the gushing praise had led me to think I might, but it was still very good. Angelina Jolie was excellent - but then, when is she not? She looked the part, and she's an excellent actress, so it's no real surprise she did well. The fairies, however, were dire. It should have been Imelda Staunton, Julie Walters and either Dame Diana, Dame Maggie or Dame Judy as the main one. (I felt like I should recognise the other two, but I didn't. And they were annoying, and made Ms Staunton seem bad as well, which was odd and disappointing. At least they were relatively minor.) Not sure why the names changed, either.

I liked that, aside from the end, only minor details contradicted SB. And the ending, though different, was OK.

Spoiler: show
I can't believe anyone DIDN'T see the "twist" coming - especially after Frozen...! And I wonder how much of a coincidence that link was - and which scriptwriter was mildly irritated by the other's synchronous idea..!

Also, did anyone else think that maybe Stefan would realise he DID love Maleficent after all, and that they'd wind up together...? That was a mild surprise to me, although I can't say I mind either way.

Anybody notice that The Queen still didn't get a name..?! I do hope that was a deliberate wry nod, and not an unfortunate oversight...

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby Infinityfan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:36 pm

I watched this! It amazing I defiantly recommend it! :D

rank_2000_ftb
Infinityfan
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:46 pm

‘Maleficent’ Ends Incredible Box-Office Reign of ‘Frozen’ in Japan

Angelina Jolie's fantasy epic knocks the Disney Animation blockbuster out of top spot it's held for four months

The remarkable 16-week run atop the box-office that “Frozen” has enjoyed in Japan has ended, and it took Angelina Jolie‘s “Maleficent” to do it.

Disney's fantasy update opened to $7.1 million — the year's biggest for a live-action movie there — to displace “Frozen” after four months. The Disney Animation blockbuster has taken in more than $240 million from Japan since opening at No. 1 there on March 15.

“Maleficient,” by far Jolie's biggest movie ever, is up to $630 million globally.

Trailers for “Maleficent” have been playing ahead of “Frozen” throughout its record run in Japan, where the Disney brand is huge.

Source: The Wrap
David Archuleta, Pikachu, Disney, Frozen and Smash Bros fan :D

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby Agent C » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:50 am

It is still hard to fathom that Frozen is the fifth highest grossing movie worldwide of all time.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Agent C » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:51 am

Don't get me wrong I liked it, but that has to be a surprise for the House of Mouse.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Previous

Return to Disney movies and tv