What Disney are you watching?

What Disney are you watching?

Postby Agent C » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:13 am

I'm still itching to see Maleficent. For the second weekend in a row I have missed out, but that didn't stop me from watching Disney this weekend. The family went way back to 1961 and visited the Parent Trap. We followed on Sunday watching Disney's The Kid with Bruce Willis.

The Kid doesn't come up much, but it is a solid Disney movie. I really enjoy the story, and my kids were able to see it for the first time.

We also managed Donald's Golf and the Choo Choo Express before shutting Disney down for the evening. I would love tohearwhateveryone else watched, or what you plan on watching this week.

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Re: What Disney are you watching?

Postby Elmo STM » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:52 am

I love anything Disney tbh we seen the end of hsm 1 a few weeks ago on Disney channel but will be watching wall e (to help with toy box)

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby ntnon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 pm

I just took a survey asking how often I'd been to the cinema to see a Disney film in the last six months: 1-2, 3-6, 6-12 or 12+. I felt rather sheepish that I ticked the final one - and that's from only seeing Frozen, Maleficent and Winter Soldier.......

At home, Pocahontas, II, Mulan, II, The Lone Ranger (that last we've watched once a month since November... and it's still moving up in my estimation from great to superb).

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby Agent C » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:57 am

I have to agree. The Lone Ranger was better than most people give it credit for being. Of course, I enjoyed John Carter to so I maybe too biased to go against Disney.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby ntnon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:24 am

John Carter and The Lone Ranger are both good films. And both suffer from the same two problems* - if one can ignore or get past them, they can cross into better and great territory respectively.

Spoiler: show
The two problems are length and target audience. They're both based on pulp characters, which sets them for older audiences familiar with the characters. But they're Disney and fronted by 'young folk' and to some degree run roughshod over the source material (i.e. plot changes, and for many fans there's the silly problem that Hammer isn't Moore). More importantly, the graphic violence puts them for a teen-twenties audience, while that age group neither knows nor cares about the characters; the original fans contrarily will be quite put off. And then there are the relatively complex plots and plot points.. The lack of "..of Mars" in John Carter's title was ludicrous, and indicative of Disney's lack of faith in the project - despite the money invested. They're both destined for (the right sort of) Cult Status, though, since they both just needed time to find their appreciative audience.

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby Agent C » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 am

Okay, this weekend the family and I decided on the 1976 version of Freaky Friday. I have to say I'm not sure if I had seen this as a kid, and I didn't miss much. It was big dumb fun. My daughter liked it, but I thought it could have been better.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby KyletheCartoonist » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:53 pm

I've been checking out Gravity Falls at the recommendation from a friend, and it is my new favorite Disney show currently running. Sorry, Dog With a Blog.

Speaking of DWaB, I'd say it's an interesting case; in theory, it should fail hard. However, it actually works great! The jokes are genuinely funny, and I bursted out laughing quite a few times. All-in-all, it knows that it is cheesy, and uses that to it's comedic advantage. Best Disney sit-com since That's So Raven!
Not dead, just busy. :)

Lotso Transitron
KyletheCartoonist
Main Console: Xbox 360
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Infinite Mickey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:52 am

I been watching POTC. Just the first one though. I'm also watching the Toy Story trilogy. But am being forced to watch Doc Mcstuffins, but that's not half bad!
Proud Wii U owner, and thinks that the console is the perfect Next Gen.

rank_1500_ftb
Infinite Mickey
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Nibelilt » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:59 am

I'm not sure they count, but I've been watching all of the Pixar films. I re-watched A Bug's Life last. It wasn't as interesting as Pixar's other films- aside from Cars- but it's entertaining.
Speaking of which, I'm dreading the Cars films... The first just bores me and the second is horribly dumb- I can't decide which I like less. :cry: I haven't watched them for years, but that's how I remember them. I don't think my opinion on them is going to change.

I've also rented Tangled from iTunes... But I still haven't watched it. I'm pretty excited for it, though. :)

And once I finish watching all those films, I'll re-watch WIR again... But everybody knew that already. :roll: :lol:
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Next

Return to Disney movies and tv