Disney and Transformers

Disney and Transformers

Postby Tilarta » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 am

Now that Disney have acquired Marvel, I started to wonder if that acquistion included Transformers, since Marvel was the first publisher of the Transformers comic.
According to the info I accessed, Hasbro still holds the rights to Transformers and that it was not part of the Marvel acquisition deal.

Note that the following info comes from unconfirmed sources, it cannot be taken as official statements.

While I was doing the research, I came across a couple of references that suggest Disney are interested in adding Hasbro to their corporate umbrella, mostly to acquire the rights to Transformers and GI Joe.
But another one said that Hasbro have not entered corporate negiotiation on this issue yet.
It was also stated that the cost of acquiring Hasbro is far less then Disney spent on either Marvel or Star Wars.

Hypothetically, if Disney manage to acquire Hasbro, I wonder if they would considering integrating Transformers into a future version of Disney Infinity.
They'd have to come up with a whole new mechanic, as Transformers can become a vehicle of one kind or another, which doesn't exist in the current gameplay.
If the Transformer in question is a Triplechanger, then you'd need two different vehicle modes.

I don't expect to see Combiners, as that would be a gameplay change of a significant order.
I don't think you can even get 5-6 characters into one game anyway.

I wonder if they would add human sidekicks too, although only Sari Sumdac (Animated) and Miko Nakadai (Prime, using the Apex Armor) had any superpowers.

rank_250
Tilarta
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Re: Disney and Transformers

Postby SugarGuyWrecker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:21 am

What do you think about Hasbro making Disney Transformers once they add Disney to their lineup of Toy Brands?
Groot IIII Am Groot!(This is Fun!)"

Anna " Agreed!"

rank_1500
SugarGuyWrecker
Location: Element Animation's The Crack! Sanctuary when I need it.
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:57 am

Do you mean like this:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mickey_Mouse

Or was there something else you had in mind?

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby SugarGuyWrecker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:08 am

no. I mean more than that!

Kinda like the Star Wars Transformers and Marvel Transformers (Although I'd love to see those come back alongside Disney Transformers being announced) but with Both Live-Action Disney Properties Such as Tron and Tommorowland along with Disney Animation Properties and Disney-Pixar Properties. for example, there could be a Light-cycle transformer or a Light Runner Transformer or a Solar Sailor Transformer or even a Star Command Transformer which Transforms from a Starship to a robot in seconds, or maybe even an Elsa Transformer which transfoms from vehicle to robot in seconds.
Groot IIII Am Groot!(This is Fun!)"

Anna " Agreed!"

rank_1500
SugarGuyWrecker
Location: Element Animation's The Crack! Sanctuary when I need it.
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:58 am

Was this the kind of thing you were visualizing:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Star_Wars_Transformers

I think it's complicated to negotiate a deal like this, as you not only need the permission of the franchise you are making into Transformers, but also the permission of Hasbro to market them as Transformers and make the toys.
For example, the Frozen franchise holders might not agree to using Elsa in this way because they regard it as unauthentic (there are no giant mechanoids in Arendelle).

What do you mean by Marvel Transformers?
Please clarify that statement.

Do you mean the Generation 1 Transformers?
That is the term used to define the original first cartoon series and it's characters.

But now I am wondering, if Disney acquires the rights to Transformers, will they make their own animated series?
And who would they use as the basis of the series?
Most likely, I'd expect to see the live action Transformers, as that's the most recent iteration.
But that would be incredibly complicated to make playable figures, as they have insane amounts of kibble (that's a fan term meaning unnecessary visual clutter).
I do remember the toys were less kibbley, as they had to be realistic:
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu100/zrowngctr/Transformers/BarricadeampBlackout_zpsd9a4d5cd.png
So maybe these would be easier to make into figures.

But they'd need to secure the legal rights from the movie studio as well.
I know that there's currently some kind of legal dogmangering going on with 20th Century Fox refusing to surrender the rights for certain movies which stops Marvel from actually using the concepts from those movies in their official licensed online game.

My head hurts now, too much thinking about legalese!

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Cellsai » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:51 am

If Disney ever acquired the Transformers franchise they would produce their own movie or cartoon series for them so fast you wouldn't have time to say "little plastic figures are the right of all sentient beings". That new movie/series would very easily be slotted into DI.

Look at how fast it took Disney to announce they were producing new Star Wars content.

It would be pretty interesting to see transforming characters though - it'd be a neat bridging point between the awkwardness of the Cars figures and the far more usable humanoid figures. They could release figures of the human form transformers and then limited edition versions of the same characters, but the figures would be in vehicle mode. Both figures would function identically, the figure would just look different.

rank_250
Cellsai
Main Console: PS3

Return to Disney miscellaneous