The Hunger Games

family friendly movies and tv that are not Disney related

Re: The Hunger Games (Book and Movie series)

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:28 am

Man, Part 1 of Mockingjay was awesome! :D Man, the cliffhanger for Part 1 will really make you wonder of how Part 2 will go. Can't wait for Part 2 next year!
David Archuleta, Pikachu, Disney, Frozen and Smash Bros fan :D

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Stitch » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:09 am

I bet Prim will have a blast in the second one.

rank_1500
Stitch
Main Console: PS4

Postby Elmo STM » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:00 am

I read the books and can't wait for the films (going to see part 1 for my bday at the end of the month :))

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Weekend Report: 'Mockingjay' Can't Catch 'Fire'

As expected, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 easily scored the biggest debut of the year this weekend.

However, the third movie in the immensely popular franchise did drop off dramatically from its predecessors, and even wound up below the penultimate chapters in the Harry Potter and Twilight franchises.

Playing at 4,151 theaters, Mockingjay opened to $121.9 million this weekend. That's well above Transformers: Age of Extinction's $100 million debut, which was the previous high for 2014. Overall, this opening weekend ranks 15th all-time.

Mockingjay's debut doesn't compare favorably to the other movies in the Hunger Games franchise, though: it's down 23 percent from Catching Fire's $158 million, and is also significantly lower than the original movie's $152 million. More surprising is the fact that Mockingjay wound up lower than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1's $125 million and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1's $138 million.

It's worth noting up front that Lionsgate is going to make a ton of money on this movie, both domestically and internationally. This opening reinforces that The Hunger Games is one of the most popular and successful big-screen franchises ever.

At the same time, a 23 percent drop going in to the penultimate installment is stunning for a series that's been as well-managed and well-received as this one.

As covered extensively in the weekend forecast, Mockingjay had a lot working against it. The final book in the Hunger Games franchise is widely regarded as the least successful, and surely some viewers weren't interested in paying to see only the first half of that story.

The movie also lacked the strong marketing hook that the first two had—if you want to see the games, you need to buy a ticket—and received noticeably weaker reviews. Finally, this was the first installment that wasn't on IMAX screens: along with a tiny hit in direct revenue, this also served to lessen the movie's "event" status.

If Mockingjay holds up like the first two Hunger Games movies, it will close with around $325 million, which would put it below Guardians of the Galaxy. It's rare that the third movie in a franchise holds up as well as its predecessors, though: a more likely outcome is a total just over $300 million.

Around-the-World Roundup

Coinciding with its domestic debut, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay—Part 1 opened in 85 international markets as well this weekend. That includes all major territories except China and Japan.

The penultimate chapter in the Hunger Games franchise earned an estimated $152 million, which is up four percent from Catching Fire across the same markets. Its top markets were the U.K. ($19.9 million) and Germany ($13.7 million); that's the biggest opening of the year in Germany, and will likely be the biggest in the U.K. as well. In Russia, it opened to $11.1 million, which is a 19 percent improvement over Catching Fire (that's the biggest jump for a major market).

Mockingjay's other major openings included France ($10.5 million), Mexico ($12.1 million), Australia ($10.1 million), Brazil ($8.8 million), Italy ($5.3 million), Spain ($5.2 million) and South Korea ($3.5 million).

Catching Fire wrapped up with $440 million overseas; with China and Japan on the way, Mockingjay should get to a similar level.

Source: Box Office Mojo

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby Elmo STM » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Can't wait, going sinday

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby PixarToonie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:56 am

I keep singing the Hanging Tree over and over again. The film was brilliant and I can't get over how amazing it was! I've read the books so many times that I was a bit picky at some points where they missed out characters: Enobaria, Flavius, Venia, Octavia, Portia etc. Loved Effie! Loved Buttercup! Loved everything!
Just keep swimming - Dory, Finding Nemo

rank_500
PixarToonie
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 pm

A new Katniss Everdeen poster image! This is the one they used as the invite to the Mockingjay Part 1 premiere in Los Angeles.

Photo credit: Panem Propaganda

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm

“My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12.” - #Mockingjay

#Mockingjay Part 1 is the #1 movie in the world two weeks in a row!

Weekend Report: ‘Hunger Games’ Devours Undercooked Franchise Titles Over Thanksgiving

As expected, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 easily ruled the Thanksgiving weekend box office.

At the same time, the weekend's two new titles—Penguins of Madagascar and Horrible Bosses 2—were both disappointments.

The Top 12 earned $154.9 million this weekend; that's down over 20 percent from the same frame last year, when The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Frozen earned a combined $142 million.

In its second weekend, Mockingjay eased 53 percent to $57 million. That drop is identical to Catching Fire's, albeit off of a much lower opening weekend.

To date, Mockingjay ranks seventh in 2014 with $225.7 million. If it follows Catching Fire's pattern, it will wrap up with $324 million, which is a bit lower than current 2014 leader Guardians of the Galaxy ($331.9 million and counting).

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 held on to first place at the overseas box office for the second week in a row.

Playing in 86 markets, the third installment in the popular franchise fell 56 percent to $67 million, which brings its total to $254.4 million. The movie's biggest markets were the U.K. ($8.2 million), Germany ($7 million), France ($5.3 million) and Australia ($5 million).

Mockingjay has China and Japan on the way in 2015, through its still unclear if it can match Catching Fire's $440 million haul.

Source: Box Office Mojo

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:17 pm

100% agree with you pixartoonie. I'm re reading the last book now to refresh my memory. Recommended

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to other movies and tv