Anime

family friendly movies and tv that are not Disney related

Anime

Postby DarcSMSkid » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:03 pm

Just thought I would ask, anyone here watches anime?
"Where's my protein shake MA!!!"

rank_500
DarcSMSkid
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Re: Anime

Postby KillingRaptor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I used to watch a lot of anime, now not so much anymore. But I still love the series of Elfen Lied and Neon Genesis Evangelion!
I still watch anime movies however, quite a big fan of the Studio Ghibli movies like Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa,... I also like the later movies from Mamoru Hosoda, especially Summer Wars! And of course the classics like Akira.
"Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it." - Robin Hood

My Videogame Collection

rank_1000
KillingRaptor
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby DarcSMSkid » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Studio Ghibli has some interesting movies…i just feel it should be a series to get more stuff out of it rather than just 1 movie you know…for me i'm currently watching the usual (Naruto Shipuuden, One Piece, Fairy Tales) and I'm also catching up to the Pokemon series just for peep's sake haha

rank_500
DarcSMSkid
PSN ID:

Postby KillingRaptor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Naruto, One Piece, Bleach,... are series that are totally uninteresting for me. :lol:
I like Pokémon but once again I prefer the movies. Especially the ones with Mewtwo, Lugia and Lucario.
"Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it." - Robin Hood

My Videogame Collection

rank_1000
KillingRaptor
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby DarcSMSkid » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:31 pm

lol just hopped on the trend and just went with it as i caught up so bleh….some of the pokemon's movies are good and some are just fillers out of no where…i like the deoxy with rayquaza one, anything they put pointless comedy mixed with cute voicing is always a + for me haha

rank_500
DarcSMSkid
PSN ID:

Postby DarcSMSkid » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Wanted to see if I can get more response on this Topic =]

rank_500
DarcSMSkid
PSN ID:

Postby Minions4Ever » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:51 am

Yeah, I like watching Pokémon, too. Has anyone seen Evangelion 20? I saw someone here mention Evangelion 20, so I was just asking. I saw some of it in Japanese class. Oh, and what about Ponyo? Anyone see that movie? I also saw that movie (the whole thing) in Japanese class. My friend said that in the English version of Ponyo, Sasuke's mother tells her boyfriend to "bug off" instead of calling him a jerk in the scene where she is flashing the light to communicate with him. But yeah, I personally think the Japanese version is better since she calls him a jerk. XD
Edith: Can I drink this? Dr. Nefario: Do you want to explode?

rank_0
Minions4Ever

Postby buckmana » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:25 am

No, not really.

I did try to get involved in Anime once, out of curiosity.
The first anime movie I watched, while it had a nice plot, was well, nightmare fuel due to the amount of messy deaths you saw on a regular basis.
In closeup with full detail.

Maybe 10 or 20 years later, I bought the Japanese exclusive Transformers cartoon, just out of curiosity.
My brain is now angry at me for watching it. :lol:
It was written Anime style.

I won't tell you the major reason why I didn't like it, as it's not G rated.

But I will describe some of the other stuff I found silly and offensive.

My major issue was with Arcee.
At the time, she was the only significant female Autobot.
In the American version, she's a front line soldier, they make no distinction about her gender.
The Japanese version, her sole job is to sit in a chair, push a button and answer intergalactic videophone calls.

Then we have Minerva and her friends.
*throws disbelief out the window*.
They're 10 or 11 (not sure how old specifically, I couldn't tell).
They're Headmasters (that's an organic who merges with a Transformer via a suit of powered armor).
The story is that they were "trainees", learning from the veteran Autobots skills for when they eventually grew up and could graduate to full combat soldiers.

Minerva was training in medical support.
In one episode, we see her pull out a lot of medical equipment and prep to do surgery!
Name me one 11 year old girl who has enough life experience and the skills to do major surgery. :roll:

And then we have one of her friends, who is driving a fire engine (it's the vehicle form of the Autobot he's bonded with).
That's a skill that it takes a seasoned driver 10 years to master.

Also, the plots for those shows were extremely weak compared to the American versions, they were like all flash and no smash.
Just throw in enough special effects and godmode battles seemed to be the plot on a per episode basis.

So that's why I stepped back from anime, mostly.

That and I learned what the mainstay of anime is about.
Mass-produced shows all following the same concept.

And just for one final point, I'm still miffed about how W.I.T.C.H. got treated in Japan.
They decided to rewrite it from an Anime style to see how it would go in Japan.
2 issues later, it bombed out due to lack of interest.

The reason was given that with a high propensity of Anime featuring magical girls, nobody really noticed another one. :?

And I know a little about those "magical girl animes", comparing them to W.I.T.C.H. is a bit like comparing bawdy comedy to Shakespeare.

rank_1000
buckmana

Postby DarcSMSkid » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:49 am

@minion lol cool! Im almost caught up with pokemon and never heard of ponyo before lol....

@buck lol i know your point about some shows being recycled, but some have interesting concept behind it, its just hard unless you hop on the happy go lucky van, but otherwise for me i just go innie miny moh, and click what picture and description looks interesting lol

rank_500
DarcSMSkid
PSN ID:

Next

Return to other movies and tv