Guardians of the Galaxy

family friendly movies and tv that are not Disney related

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Weekend Report: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Obliterates August Record

"We Are Groot."

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy ruled the box office this weekend with a fantastic $94 million. That's easily the biggest debut ever for an August release; the previous record holder, The Bourne Ultimatum, opened to $69.3 million in 2007.

Meanwhile, James Brown biopic Get On Up took third place with a modest $14 million debut.

This weekend reversed the box office slump in a big way: the top 12 earned $172.6 million, which is up a whopping 40 percent from the same frame last year. With a packed line-up of major releases coming up, this August is almost certainly going to be the biggest one ever.

Among recent Marvel movies, Guardians of the Galaxy's opening is nearly on par with Captain America: The Winter Soldier's $95 million, and is noticeably higher than Thor: The Dark World's $85.7 million. That's pretty remarkable considering the Guardians were unknown to most moviegoers a year ago, and have few obvious connections to the Avengers at the moment.

Guardians of the Galaxy also opened above recent superhero sequels The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past. Among 2014 releases, it only trails Transformers: Age of Extinction ($100 million) and the previously-mentioned Captain America sequel.

How to explain this huge opening? To begin with, the Marvel Studios brand is about as popular as it gets right now. This feels equivalent in some ways to Pixar Animation circa 2008, when moviegoers had such trust in the brand that they turned up in big numbers to see a movie about a lonely, vocally-challenged robot.

Similarly, Guardians of the Galaxy looked like a tough sell on paper. The current iteration of the team has only been around since 2008, and they don't have anywhere near the built-in recognition of Thor or Captain America. Disney's stellar marketing campaign addressed that issue early and often: from the teaser trailer on, the focus was squarely on building a connection between the audience and this bizarre group. Characters that initially seemed like liabilities—Rocket Raccoon and Groot, specifically—wound up being a major draw, particularly with A-list actors Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel providing vocal support.

More broadly, the movie consistently managed to look like a fun and (mostly) fresh adventure. Add in an aggressive late marketing push and some very positive reviews (over 90 percent on Rotten Tomatoes), and a new Marvel franchise was born this weekend.

Guardians of the Galaxy wound up having a ton of appeal with women: exit polling indicated that the audience was 44 percent female, which is the biggest share ever for a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie (the previous high was 40 percent for The Avengers). Meanwhile, the audience was 55 percent over the age of 25.

3D shows accounted for 45 percent of ticket sales. Included within that was $11.7 million from IMAX showings, which is easily a new record for the month of August (the previous high was $4.7 million from last year's Elysium).

With strong word-of-mouth ("A" CinemaScore) and great reviews, Guardians of the Galaxy could hold up well for the remainder of the Summer. If it plays like Captain America: The Winter Soldier—possible, though far from guaranteed—it will wind up being the highest-grossing movie of the season in the U.S. with over $250 million.

Around-the-World Roundup

Coinciding with its domestic debut, Guardians of the Galaxy opened in 42 foreign territories where it earned $66.4 million. Major markets included Russia ($13 million), the U.K. ($10.8 million), Mexico ($6.5 million), Brazil ($5.4 million) and South Korea ($4.7 million). On average, it opened lower than Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Guardians has many more markets left to open, including Australia (next weekend), France, Germany, Japan, Italy and China. A total north of $300 million seems likely, while $400 million is possible as well (depending mostly on how well it performs in China).

Source: Box Office Mojo
David Archuleta, Pikachu, Disney, Frozen and Smash Bros fan :D

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14
Main Console: Wii U

Postby InfiniBox » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:33 am

Just got back from seeing this. So awesome. This may be my new favorite Marvel Studios movie, at least tied with The Avengers in any case. Chris Pratt really has come a long way since Parks and Recreation, my favorite character on that show. They all did such a good job. Rocket and Groot were amazing to watch. Really great balance of comedy, action, and heart. I'm now even more excited to get my hands on all the Disney Infinity figures and playset.

Oh, and that scene after the credits... I did NOT see that coming. That got the biggest laugh out of me.
My new DI 2.0 Toy Box Build YouTube Channel:
http://goo.gl/BTxu1b

rank_250
InfiniBox
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Postby Sheriff Woody » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:37 am

i really enjoyed everything about this movie and so did my sons ... even my wife, who does not normally enjoy "boys" movies, thought it was excellent

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Chewbacca » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Im seeing it for the 5th time today. I should probably stop watching it.
Chewie is best character

rank_1250
Chewbacca
NN ID:

Postby InfiniBox » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:25 pm

^ Nah, go for it. :) Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to see it again in the theater, though I'll be watching it many many times on Blu-ray.
My new DI 2.0 Toy Box Build YouTube Channel:
http://goo.gl/BTxu1b

rank_250
InfiniBox
PSN ID:

Postby KillingRaptor » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Just back from this movie, normally it releases here next wednesday but I was able to see it earlier. What an amazing movie! I really loved almost everything about it, the characters were great, good story, great visuals, amazing soundtrack,... Rocket was my favorite character but they were all great! That scene after the credits was hilarious too!
"Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it." - Robin Hood

My Videogame Collection

rank_1000
KillingRaptor
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Mr. Skeleton » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:26 pm

@Chewbacca Normally I would normally say you're crazy, but this movie is amazing !!! I am seeing it again for the second time this weekend.
I would recommend this movie to almost much anyone.
I didn't have a favorite character. I just loved them as a team. I can't wait for the GOTG play set & the second movie !!!

rank_500
Mr. Skeleton
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Infinite Mickey » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:52 am

9/10 amazing movie! :mrgreen:
Proud Wii U owner, and thinks that the console is the perfect Next Gen.

rank_1500_ftb
Infinite Mickey
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:10 pm

I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday and man I really enjoyed every second of it! :mrgreen:
David Archuleta, Pikachu, Disney, Frozen and Smash Bros fan :D

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

PreviousNext

Return to other movies and tv