Accessible Rides

Accessible Rides

Postby Zattaltin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm heading down to FL in January and my brother in law is disabled, he can walk but uses a wheelchair to get around for lengths of time. I haven't been in a couple of years and wanted to make sure that he isn't going to miss out on the best of rides like Pirates and what not.

My concern is that the boats might be too sunken in for him to transfer into (getting in isn't the problem, getting out will be). Also for the rides that you step on the belt that moves they slow those down right? I know he would fall stepping onto them.

This trip will be amazing for me as always sharing with him the splendor of Disney as it will be his first time, I just want to make sure he doesn't miss out on all of the cool stuff.
Twitter - bwking25
PSN - Zattaltin

rank_100
Zattaltin
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Re: Accessible Rides

Postby PirateSteven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:10 pm

I am just going to use Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion as examples.

Pirates of the Caribbean does require a transfer from a wheelchair into the boat, but you can take the wheelchair all the way up to boat for transfer, and the wheelchair is magically taken to the exit dock for transfer back into the wheelchair.

Haunted Mansion cast members have the power to slow down or stop the belt for wheel chair parties to transfer into the Doombuggy.

rank_deputy_ftb_10_lenny
PirateSteven
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Postby Zattaltin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Are you saying the wheelchair goes on the boat?

I'm saying getting my bro in and out as a person might be hard because his legs don't have a ton of strength and has full use of only one arm.

I really don't want him to miss pirates etc.
Twitter - bwking25
PSN - Zattaltin

rank_100
Zattaltin
PSN ID:

Postby PirateSteven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:21 pm

He would need to transfer from the wheelchair into the boat. There are some boat rides such as Jungle Cruise and It's A Small World where a wheelchair can come aboard the boat, but Pirates has a small drop so no wheel chairs on that one. You would have to help your brother-in-law into the boat at the load dock for Pirates.

rank_deputy_ftb_10_lenny
PirateSteven
PSN ID:

Postby Zattaltin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Well I hope the seats are open enough to fit him and not have to wrench him in with a stick. That ride is important.
Twitter - bwking25
PSN - Zattaltin

rank_100
Zattaltin
PSN ID:

Postby PirateSteven » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:31 pm

He will be comfy in the front row of the boat.

rank_deputy_ftb_10_lenny
PirateSteven
PSN ID:

Return to Disney parks and cruises