Newb

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

Newb

Postby ToddAtWSU » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:13 pm

So my wife and I had been contemplating getting our son Lego Dimensions since he loves Legos. But the character selection really wasn't anything he knew except Scooby Doo. I've always had Infinity in the back of my mind since he loves the Marvel characters and who can go wrong with Disney and Pixar characters. When I saw the Best Buy sale yesterday on characters and the base 2.0 game, I couldn't help myself and purchased the base game and around 15 characters (3.99 a pop with GCU!).

Now I need to try to understand what exactly happens with this game. I understand in 2.0, there are 3 main storylines. You get the Avengers one in the base game and can then buy the Spiderman one and Guardians of the Galaxy story. So are only the characters relevant to the storylines playable in the story, i.e. no Donald Duck in the base game story? But then in Toy Box, you can play as anyone?

What exactly is Toy Box? It sounds like there is a level builder, but are there actual objectives to your levels or is it just build with "virtual Legos" and then run your character around it to see how cool you built stuff?

Are the Power Discs anything important? I understand they can make cosmetic changes or give you some vehicles for your characters, but do you need them to play the game? Can you beat the story modes without them? Do they really add much value to the game or do you find yourself rarely using them?

To me, Toy Box and Power Discs are the biggest question marks I have for this game as to what exactly they are and what purpose they serve.

Thanks for any advice you have!
Todd

rank_0
ToddAtWSU
Main Console: PS4

Re: Newb

Postby pjhaan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:43 pm

The toy box is a giant sand box where you can build pretty much anything. If you don't feel like building, you can download levels from Community Content. These are levels created by the community or the Disney Infinity Toy Box Mentors. They can really show you what is possible.

Characters will work in the game you buy them for or later. In other words, 1.0 and 2.0 characters will work in 3.0 but 3.0 characters will not work in earlier versions of the game.

As for power discs, you can play the game without ever owning a power disc. The just help expand the options a little. The hex power discs, weapons vehicles, and customization discs do not work in the play sets (story mode). They are only for the toy box.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby JustNCredible » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:23 pm

To answer your other questions, yes there are objectives you can implement into your toybox, such as adding a scoreboard to the amount of enemies you kill, or making collectibles you can search for, etc. If you like creating things the toybox is a blast, but if not then there are tons of pre-made toyboxes ready to download. And about who can play in the 2.0 playsets:

Avengers Playset:
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Falcon
Loki
Rocket Raccoon
Nova

Ultimate Spider-Man Playset:
Spider-Man
Nova
Iron Fist
Nick Fury
Venom
Green Goblin
Hulk
Iron Man

Guardians of The Galaxy Playset:
Star Lord
Gamora
Drax the Destroyer
Groot
Rocket Raccoon
Yondu
Ronan The Accuser

In 3.0 any character from Marvel can play in the Marvel playset, and any Star Wars character can play in every Star Wars Playset. Granted, you need to find some collectibles to unlock play for some of those characters.
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Ryno R80 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:42 pm

Congrats on jumping in to Disney infinity! It sounds like you have already done a lot of great research into understanding this whole complicated system (I was totally overwhelmed starting out a year or so ago). The guys above too have already done a great job with the other info. I just wanted to add a little something about toy box games.

In your starter pack you should have gotten two: Assault on Asgard (a tower defense type game) and Escape from the Kyln (a dungeon crawling diablo type game), they are hex shaped, mostly blue colored with a raised geometric surface. You just put them on the base like you do the playsets and can start playing right away with 1-2 players.

For 2.0 they made another set of these in the Disney family (playable with Disney figures, not Marvel) you can see/buy here, it contains Stitch’s Tropical Rescue (a tower defense type game) and Brave Forest Siege (a dungeon crawling diablo type game) so it gives you more to do with those Disney figures and you can unlock more toys for the toybox if you get into that. Stitch and Merida figures are not required to play these, any Disney 1.0 or 2.0 figure will work.

Oh and here is a list (kept updated regularly) of all power discs available in case you are curious. unless you are fanatical about collecting and spending a bunch of money, I'd say try to stay away from them (this coming from a guy who has ALL of them).

rank_0
Ryno R80
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby ToddAtWSU » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:01 pm

So Toy Box Game Discs like the one linked for Stitch and Merida are Toy Box levels? I am glad to head Toy Box levels can have objectives and aren't just an open world "look what I built" type thing. So are all 6 sided power disks Toy Box levels?

Also, I've seen some posts about Skill Levels? So you level up your characters and unlock capabilities?

rank_0
ToddAtWSU

Postby Romulus77 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:04 pm

No, there are only 4 2.0 Toy Box Games - the 2 Disney and 2 Marvel ones. They are blue hexagonal discs.

All other hexagonal discs are for additions for the Toy Box. Orange ones are vehicles/mounts/weapons and purple ones are customizations for the sky and terrain.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby JustNCredible » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:51 pm

Yea in 2.0 characters were given skill trees, where you can allocate points to things like increased health, running speed, jumping height, damage of melee or ranged attacks, and special attacks and abilities (rechargable shields, self-healing, healing of ally's, power-disc recharge-rate, etc). If you buy any 1.0 character though be warned that they do not possess as fleshed-out skill trees as the characters from 2.0, for instance none of them were given special abilities such as flying, wall-crawling, or special attacks, although all are given the ability for increased damage, running speed, health, and some were given super-jumps.

On your question about regular power discs ( These things )

Circular power discs are either special attacks (which require a recharge to use), costume changes for specific characters, or team-up discs where an ally joins your fight for a limited time, also requiring a recharge.
In addition to mounts/vehicles and skydome changes, the hexagonal power discs (Not the larger blue hexagonal game-pieces) can also be new tools and packs, such as Black Panther's Vibranium daggers (throwing weapons) or Dr.Strange's cloak (allows gliding).

A small caveat is that the circular power discs (which you can have two at a time under one figure) are usable in the Playsets while the Hexagonal power discs (three at a time) are not, those are only for the Toybox.
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby daedelusikarius » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:20 am

Sounds like you guys are off to a great start remembering the rule though everything is playable in 3.0 toy box but you cannot go backwards , for example Star Wars and inside out 3.0 characters cannot be played in your 2.0 set up. But there are plenty of 2.0 and 1.0 characters to enjoy both marvel and disney

rank_0
daedelusikarius
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help