Preparing for the server shutdown

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

Preparing for the server shutdown

Postby tmccollum01 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:51 am

So the inevitable is upon us.
As much as we don't want it.

I purchased the 3.0 starter with a wii U for my son for his birthday in April and then started collecting pre-owned figures since that.

I loved what I saw, and while he was too young to really manage the complexities of the system I saw this as something we might be able to carry with us as he grew.

I knew I was buying into a dying console when we bought the wii U, but when comparing options for a young child to grow on, xbox and playstation just do not have the appeal to me as a gateway system. I thought i could be safe for a while at least.

I was not as knowledgeable about how the toys to life system leaned heavily on servers for support... well at least this one with its massive building system.

Anyway. So now we know the server is shutting down mid summer and everyone is saying download your downloadable content...

My questions are:

Does unlocking content associated with a character happen once when you first use that figure. Or does the system have to consult the server each time you plug them in? Basically is everything on my hard drive, and just "unlocked" locally, or does the software pull it in from the remote sight only when demanded?

Will ToyBox takeover work with out the server?
Will Speedway work?

Can someone point me to some top toy boxes that I might want to get that give me the greatest potential to use as many figures as I have?
I know many are limited to one character and are specific to each players preferences for those franchises... but are there any good toy boxes that will let me carry any character through??

Is there a Toy Box that will give me a great example of building/design that I should keep as a reference for my on local constructions in the future.

Is there a good wipeout style obstacle course toy box? My son wants everything that you can build with used to make a wipeout course... so I need some guidance toward any that might be made already.

So many questions. And I know so few had answers. But it is worth asking to me.

Trying to save a little of this magic if I can.

Aren't we all... aren't we all...

This happened to me once as a table top RPG gamer when disney bought Star Wars and pulled the license for the RPG from Wizards of the Coast. Luckily Books stay on the shelf much longer, and the community stays alive as long as that community keeps writing and playing.

Doesn't mean it didn't hurt then, just as it hurts now.

Anyway thanks to any who can help.

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post in... please bump me to another thread as needed admin.

rank_0
tmccollum01
Main Console: Wii U

Re: Preparing for the server shutdown

Postby pjhaan » Wed May 25, 2016 3:05 pm

I have heard the servers should be up until the end of the year.

Every thing should be on your local box. The code is in the game. You may need to download the software patches but those will not be on the Disney Servers. The patches would be on the XBox, PlayStation and Nintendo servers (I believe). The servers help with multiplayer, text creators and community content.

Speedway and Takeover should work without the servers. You just won't be able to have any online races in Speedway.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Jack Frost » Thu May 26, 2016 10:37 pm

So we wont be able to play online with anyone anymore, access community content, or even use the text creator? :?

rank_100_ftb
Jack Frost
Main Console: PS4

Postby pleakley » Thu May 26, 2016 11:24 pm

No.. sadly not.

rank_100
pleakley
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby tmccollum01 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:43 am

Thanks for the thoughts. I am trying to scan all the figs I can afford and hoping to get some time with this fun game. I am not much of a video game game player, but this one snatched my imagination fast. I do hope some company can see what was accomplished with the melding of story/plateforming/creating. They may never have the properties Disney has, but if they do it right the fans will come. I remember a time when Mario was just a plumber :)

rank_0
tmccollum01

Postby Elmo STM » Fri May 27, 2016 3:49 am

You can enjoy the game even after servers go down @tmccollum01 the only things you can't do is use the text creator when building, play multiplayer and download others toy boxes, you can still build in the toybox, use the toybox speedway and takeover discs as wel as play the playsets :)

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BaronGrackle » Fri May 27, 2016 5:13 am

I'm trying to download all the toyboxes that catch my fancy.

I am having issues with the Darkwing Duck "Let's Get Dangerous!" toybox. When I tell it to download, it says "Successfully Downloaded to Toybox Games". But then I cannot find it on my DI saves... even though this method has worked with other toyboxes. Anyone know what the problem is?

rank_0
BaronGrackle
Main Console: PS3

Postby Adornedatom » Fri May 27, 2016 10:09 am

"You can enjoy the game even after servers go down @tmccollum01 the only things you can't do is use the text creator when building, play multiplayer and download others toy boxes, "

That's a fair point; except those are the things that make Toybox so much fun. Your basic toybox will fit into 2 basic categories. A story led experience (sharable VIA streaming and YouTube) or a playable experience. The playable experience is fun for your friends, as you'll already know how to do Everything.

Meanwhile story led toyboxes will be impossible without servers.

Me personally; I'm preparing now by building as many Toybox stories as I can. I'm starting to use pre-built toyboxes in order to save time. I do think Disney do more harm to their reputation by shutting things down this way than they ever would by keeping the text creator tool open (does anyone really believe a parent would see an unnoficial YouTube video of Micky swearing and blame Disney?) but whatever.

rank_0
Adornedatom
Main Console: PS4

Postby Melzinoff » Sun May 29, 2016 6:37 pm

PS4 has shareplay tho so for PS4 players, they can still have some multiplayer but only two players.

rank_0
Melzinoff
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help