Sharing toy boxes

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

Sharing toy boxes

Postby KnightDriver » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Has anyone tried swapping save files as a way of sharing toy boxes? Essentially, you'd save your toy box locally, create a save file to an external drive (flash drive most likely), then give that save file to someone to load as if it were a previous save of theirs? I realize it's clunky, but it would at least allow us to share without the servers. The other option is to check how the PC version saves things. If it uses separate files, that would solve the problem for PC users. Or will the PC version completely go away when the servers are switched off?

Just thinking out loud. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them.
KD
Friend me on PS4 (konkrypton) & Disney Infinity (KnightDriver)!

rank_50
KnightDriver
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Sharing toy boxes

Postby Mkruzer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:52 pm

I appreciate your outside-the-box thinking on this, but I think it's probably too risky to do it that way. Not only is there a risk of accidentally deleting the wrong file in swapping, but in my experience, particularly with 2.0 on the Wii u, the save file is corruptible. A couple of times back in 2.0, I had to restart the game from scratch because something went very wrong with the save file. So I would worry about frequently swapping the save file.

rank_100
Mkruzer
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby KnightDriver » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:14 am

That's what I was afraid of. I knew I was reaching, but I can't help thinking that DI is just a computer program and it takes files to make it do things. There OUGHT to be a solution to this. I know in the future that's a feature I'll look for in a game like this: The ability to share levels without relying on a Playstation/Xbox/Wii server system.
KD

rank_50
KnightDriver
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:49 am

I know for certain once I have the savegame files on my USB stick, it can be transferred to any media storage device that my USB device can plug into.
I can write it to a DVD-R for example, as an additional backup.

But since I'm not familiar with Playstation4 software architecture, I'm not sure if it would allow someone else to use those files.
There might be a code structure in place that says, this savegame isn't identified with your PSN profile or this console, it's foreign/invalid data, reject it.

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Mkruzer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:49 pm

E That's a good point Tilarta. I know from the Wii u that the toybox saves are not a separate file. On the Wii U there are 2 files associated with Disney Infinity that can be copied/moved/deleted. One is the updates file and the other is the save file. But the save file presumably includes the entire player profile (Playset progress, toy unlocks, items owned...) in addition to any saved toyboxes. So swapping that file would likely swap your entire profile on your console. I don't know if it's different on the other consoles or on PC.

rank_100
Mkruzer
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby KnightDriver » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:13 pm

I can't run the PC version, unfortunately. I have a Mac, which can be made to boot Windows at startup. And I have Windows 10 installed. The problem is that Apple's using Intel graphics on almost all their Macs now, and DI needs a dedicated graphics card, for obvious reasons. There is too much graphics work to share time with the main CPU and work right. But if any version is vulnerable to figuring out how DI stores toy boxes, it's the PC version.
KD

rank_50
KnightDriver
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mkruzer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:14 pm

According to Disney's shutdown announcement the PC version will no longer be playable after September 30th. The Steam version apparently will be playable but with no online features.

rank_100
Mkruzer
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help