Is grinding in the toybox hub worth the effort?

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

Is grinding in the toybox hub worth the effort?

Postby Mkruzer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:17 am

I've gotten DI up and running on my new PS4. Now I'm getting started re-unlocking all my toys. So I have been wondering whether it's worthwhile to spend a lot of time in the toybox hub all over again. I remember in 2.0 there were certain toys that were only unlocked in the "Intro to the toybox." But I don't remember any exclusive unlocks from the 3.0 hub. I think everything is just purchasable in the toy store, right? I realize that there are sidekicks that can be unlocked, but I really don't care about those.

rank_100
Mkruzer
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Is grinding in the toybox hub worth the effort?

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:04 am

I'm doing the same on XboxOne.

I think it's literally achievements/Feats that the hub offer, not any specific toys. The random 'Gifts' the toybox grants you are usually toys you already have, or a sidekick unlock.

I used a sparkfarmer toybox to get all my sparks, then just repurchased everything. It didn't take long. Then it's just the playset unlocks to play for...

With only a couple of months left try to get the sugar rush stands i'd get your skates on!

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:13 pm

I'm getting the game this week so can help with unlocks for online if we get someone else (I've only one controller atm)

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mkruzer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:52 pm

OK - that's what I thought. Time to fire up the old spark generator.

@ElmoSTM - Yes, we should organize a meet up on that when you're ready.

At this point, I'm not sure what to prioritize: playsets, Takeover, or Speedway.

rank_100
Mkruzer
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:51 pm

@Mkruzer

I've completed speedway first myself, as it isn't fussy which difficulty you choose and you can whip through it. ;)

As for what's next? the playset unlocks are more attractive I think, but will take longer than 'takeover' - Takeover felt more repetitive if I remember rightly and feels quite Sidekick focused ( ? ).

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mkruzer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:20 am

I was thinking that Takeover would be the fastest to get through and that Speedway was the kind of thing that could be tackled bit by bit. The playsets seem more daunting, especially the Star Wars challenges, but I am excited to play through the stories again. Maybe they will go easier this time seeing as all my characters are already level 20.

rank_100
Mkruzer
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:58 am

@Mkruzer

I love Kart games and simply found that my play-style preference I suppose. You're right though having levelled up characters should help. My characters were all newbs 1st time round, and I hadn't 'cheated' yet with a spark farmer. I always struggled with the 'Collect the orbs within the time limit' games for some reason. Having my characters super-jump unlocked should now help no end.

I found the repetitiveness of Toybox in the HERO DESTROYER machine, the level that unlocks all the different sidekicks through repeated grinding. I spent so much time farming and levelling up! if I have a regret it was having done that for so long. As now to lose all that progress in the console UPGRADE feels like wasted hours. :roll:

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:20 pm

I don't like takeover but you only need to do one level iirc to do the multiplayer unlock and same with speedway so it's not bad at all, 20 mins would do both. Not sure about the other unlocks for them though.

Don't forget if you have the playset pieces from 1.0 and 2.0 just placing them down unlocks all their toys

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mkruzer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:52 pm

I completed the first 2 levels of Takeover. I had forgotten that they make you do the Hero Destroyer after each level. It still goes fairly quick though (the level 20 characters definitely help there). I tried doing a race in Speedway, but it froze up on me after I won the race. I'll have to give it another try later.

rank_100
Mkruzer
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help