Cross Platform Question

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

Cross Platform Question

Postby Agent C » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:48 pm

I apologize for this question upfront. I have zero knowledge when it comes to writing code or pretty much anything as it pertains to the inner working of software. So, what would it take for us to play multiplayer cross platform? I know that each system is proprietary. Is it something that could be done rather simply if you knew how and the respective companies agreed to it, or is it something that would be impossible without integrating it into the system to begin with.

I say this because I have a real good friend who has a child about my oldest a age. He has the Wii. He is an insane Disney. Fan like myself. I have the PS3. We would love to take advantage of the online multiplayer. He is contemplating getting the Wii U and I likewise am contemplating doing the same thing so our families can play.

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Re: Cross Platform Question

Postby PumpkinKing » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 pm

If you guys wanted to play online multiplayer you both would need the same system.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN! >:D

rank_100
PumpkinKing
Main Console: PS4

Postby Agent C » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Yeah, I know, but I guess this is a "what if?" question more than anything else. The easier question might have been, is all that is holding cross platforming up the respective system companies? If they gave the green light is it an easy fix?

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby SandyClaws » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Unfortunately I can't give technical reasons but I do know this is not an easy task. Many developers have made cross platform multiplayer promises and failed to deliver. I wouldn't suggest holding out hope for this console generation.
Please subscribe to us on iTunes or Stitcher Radio, and Youtube

Disney Infinity TV

Chatter
SandyClaws
Main Console: PS4

Postby Agent C » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks for the answer. I guess if he decides to get a Wii U, I will have to go buy one. :D It as good of an excuse as any to get a new system.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Sonic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Well.... firstly the publisher/developer would have to use their own servers and not Microsoft's (for Xbox), current gen Sony and Nintendo don't have their own servers (not sure on Nintendo on that one).

The developer would have to go to some lengths to do cross platform, PS3 uses PSN ID, Xbox uses Live Gamertag and Wii uses a friend code (Wii U uses a Nintendo ID). Trying to get pause, in game chat working across platforms will be tricky.

It's possible, easier with another cross platform ID, maybe like Ubisoft Passport.

Ultimately it's not yet worth the time, effort and resources to code into a game.
Closest so far is Xbox being able to play with PC, but only because they both use Live.
"Let's Speeed, kiiiiiiiiid!"
"If you leave your game, stay safe, stay alert! Whatever you do, don't die. Because if you die outside of your own game, you don't regenerate. EVER! Game over."

rank_0
Sonic
Main Console: PS3

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help