Do I REALLY need to preorder?

if you are thinking of doing something and would like the opinions of others

Do I REALLY need to preorder?

Postby FROZOFAN » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:44 am

Putting the fan boyness aside for a second, does anyone really think these things will sell out? I live a few minutes away from a 24 hour walmart and I would like to go pick it up from there at midnight and they don't take preorders (I don't think) of course I run the risk of them not having it and then other stores being sold out the next day. While this does seem to have quite the following, I find it hard to believe every retailer will run out of starter packs on the first day.

rank_250
FROZOFAN
Main Console: Xbox One

Re: Do I REALLY need to preorder?

Postby KyletheCartoonist » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:05 am

I think we'll be fine, as long as short-sighted retailers order enough games to meet demand. :D
Not dead, just busy. :)

Lotso Transitron
KyletheCartoonist
Main Console: Xbox 360
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby PumpkinKing » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:18 am

The only reason I pre-ordered is for the free figure :)
HAPPY HALLOWEEN! >:D

rank_100
PumpkinKing
Main Console: PS4

Postby FROZOFAN » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:38 am

As ridiculous as this may be, the $12 toy doesn't seem worth waiting till the next day...besides are they still offering a free figure with preorders?

rank_250
FROZOFAN

Postby Nivla23 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:48 am

I would preorder just in case the selected stores runs out of the game for the system you would buy for

rank_50
Nivla23
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby Charlee » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:00 am

Depends if genre is any benefit. I preordered because it was a lot cheaper then retail.
We have the freedom of speech!!!

Lotso
Charlee
PSN ID:

Postby FROZOFAN » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 am

Cheaper how? All starter packs are 74.99$

rank_250
FROZOFAN

Postby SalmonPink » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:41 am

^ Not in the UK, unfortunately. I've seen prices range from £49.99 to £64.99 (around $77 to $100) and we don't get a free figure. So we've all been shopping around for the best deal, since prices aren't as uniform as the US. (A lot of us have pre-ordered from Toys R Us, using a voucher code to get the starter pack for £44.99, thanks to an awesome thread from MKP. With the exchange rate, that makes the starter pack around $70, without a free figure.)

When it comes to preordering, it depends on your priorities. If you want to get as much bang for your buck as possible, preordering seems the best bet in the US because you get that free figure. You also guarantee yourself that you'll get the game for the system you want - remember that these packs are much bulkier than a normal game, so that will effect how much stock shops can order in, since they need to have space to store the games. However, if your priority is getting your hands on the game the instant it's released (which I'm getting the impression is your biggest priority) then collecting the game at midnight from Walmart would probably be better for you. I'd recommend going into Walmart and talking to a supervisor in the Electronics Department to find out if the game will definitely be put out on the shelves at midnight (some stores might be doing this, others it might be a 'we'll get to it with the rest of the morning stock' kind of deal). Also, let them know what system you're going to use the game with and ask if they know what kind of stock levels they'll be getting - there's a chance they won't be able to tell you this, for security reasons or because they don't yet know, but it doesn't hurt to ask and let them know you're just trying to make sure you can get the right copy. It also might be worth going back again a few days before release, just to double-check that plans haven't changed.

I genuinely don't think the starter packs will sell out on the first day, but nobody has any guarantees. I've started seeing publicity here in the UK, but I don't know how hard it's being advertised in the US. If the advertising has been hitting kids in the face all through their summer break, this might be a popular last-hurrah-of-summer present. As I mentioned, the starter packs are bulky and smaller game-specific stores will only have so much room for stock. Bigger box-stores like Walmart will have more room but may not prioritise ordering large amounts of the game when there's such a variety of other stock to deal with. But with the popularity of Skylanders using a similar physical-toys-in-game system and the known Disney brand, I imagine stores are anticipating good sales and their initial orders of stock will reflect that. I should stress that this is all guesswork though.

rank_250
SalmonPink
Main Console: PS3

Postby DisneyMania » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm

I agree with all the above - well said SalmonPink :)

rank_500
DisneyMania
XBL ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity what would you do questions