Help! I'm losing interest!

if you are thinking of doing something and would like the opinions of others

Re: Looking for Reasons to continue going forward

Postby sdp4life » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:46 pm

@ntnon - I appreciate the response. I have talked to my son and he does enjoy the game to a point but he too gets frustrated with it. He and I can play through a Lego game (there I go again, sorry it's the only game we've played together so far, he's only 5 1/2) no problem. He can figure out the puzzles, follow the story, enjoy the game with little or no frustration. We are not getting the same level of fun and it's frustrating because our whole family is big into Disney our first family trip there was this year so he's big time into it right now.
sdp4life
Main Console: PS4

Postby tangled&tron » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:07 am

rank_1000_ftb
tangled&tron

Postby ntnon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:34 am

Interesting to hear that Lego games are more comprehensible and do-able - I've experienced the opposite! The Infinity "arrow" pointing you to the next objective is very handy for following missions to their conclusions, I've found. (Although its sometimes literalist 'as the crow flies' approach to direction is frustrating!)

If your son likes Disney, I've found that just wandering the Hall of Heroes and looking at statues, clips and mini characters can hold considerable interest. As does eschewing the missions and plots and just sinking into the settings - race around Radiator Springs, walk around Monsters University scaring all the characters... for small children, there really are a thousand things to do well before you get to the "real" game!

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby Kelleytoons » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:31 pm

I suspect DI is really a little too advanced for a 5 1/2 year old -- hard to generalize (with five grandkids I know some that would have been fine with it, and others that wouldn't have got it at all) but to me it really is more of an 8-9 year old game (interesting that the iPad app says 9+ for age group. Yes, it's all about toy box building, which is sure to be slightly advanced, but still...)

And you may be too old... <bg> -- and that's calling the kettle black, since I'm ancient. But I've also been working with video games (both using and programming) for many decades now and may hardly be typical of my generation. I suspect DI hits the sweet spot for 20 somethings, who both love Disney and love the challenge of creating their own Disney "world". The game is hardly challenging for them -- but enough to get the stuff they need/want for building.

Good news for you is your son will get older and DI may get more and more interesting to him. You, however, may never really enjoy it (but that's okay, too -- youth must be served :>).

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby Notorious » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Since im a huge Disney fanatic, simply collecting figures is enough for me. After getting everything it does lose it's hype a little

rank_100
Notorious

Postby Pyx » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:54 pm

My wife and I like collecting the figures as well. I think anyone would be hard pressed to justify the pricing scheme of this game if they don't enjoy the toy collector aspect.

rank_100
Pyx
PSN ID:

Postby Kelleytoons » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:03 pm

They are beautiful sitting on the shelf... and maybe a touch too fragile for "play" as much as the Skylander's stuff apparently is. Collectibles, to be sure (again, more evidence this isn't designed for kids).

If I hear one more story about Violet's head coming off I may make a rude remark <g>.

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby ntnon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 pm

rank_500
ntnon

Postby ntnon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:29 pm

rank_500
ntnon