Help! I'm losing interest!

if you are thinking of doing something and would like the opinions of others

Re: Looking for Reasons to continue going forward

Postby sdp4life » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:04 pm

@Agent C - I was actually hoping for the same thing in terms of other types of games (sidescrollers, top down, level based, etc) but so far it's all the same with different paint jobs and slightly different game play. And unfortunately that doesn't look to be changing anytime soon unless the users come up with something. That Disney sidescroller that looks like Mario was not done well at all since it still used 3d programming with a 2d angle, I keep falling off.

@kelleytoons - I love your ownership idea. That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for in the toy box. It would just make everything feel larger/more complete in the toy box. I also never really considered future disc releases and the problem that will cause me should I really get into building/exploring the toy box in this one. In 2 months I will have a PS4, either I sell it on Ebay or keep it (depends on work bonus) and at that point I will start to shift my game budget from PS3 to PS4 which if DI2 is next gen which I would imagine it would be all my DI stuff is gone and that could be an issue.
One other thing I forgot about when it comes to the figures is that except for the incredibles characters they all have the same basic abilities. This gives me no reason to use Mike or Randall instead of Sulley or Barbosa/Davy Jones instead of Jack. I think the play sets could have been even more robust/replayable if there were different ways to do each mission. For example Mike is not as good a scarer as Sulley so to do the scare missions he would need to find a something else to pull off the scare. If this ability was there then I it would make sense/be fun to reload a mission to try it a different way. Rewards could be special toy box toys, gold star for spin, or even a PSN trophy (also not happy extras don't have addon trophies). I feel this would be very doable at $30 as I have played download only games that have these features.

I just feel like the game is called Infinity but in the end just feels Limited instead. There is so much potential when I read about the game and watch the online videos but in the end it only delivered on about 70% of the promises. I guess I will have to keep emailing them my ideas and hope.
sdp4life
Main Console: PS4

Postby jeremy0203 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:01 pm

I agree with you, the game gets kinda boring and monotonous. I just play it for 30 mins here and there so that I don't get so bored by it that I just give it up for good. Luckily my wife and I like buying/collecting disney stuff so I can pawn the excuse of having spent so much money on the figures on that lol
jeremy0203
Main Console: PS3

Postby Kelleytoons » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Someone else here will point out that Randall also has invisibility so IS different, but all in all I agree with you about the other sets being just different faces with the same abilities.

No one knows how the next gen consoles will affect DI/DI2, so it's pointless to speculate other than to note that Disney is unlikely to do anything that will limit how much money they can make. They've shown with the present release they are willing to make sacrifices in order to get it to run on almost anything (hence all the issues with the Wii version). I can't even imagine them releasing a PS4/XBox One version that wouldn't also work on the older consoles, even if this meant it was limited on those older consoles (and, yes, there will have to be different "versions" the same way you have to buy a different disk now for each console, but the basic coding will surely be leveraged among everything). So I don't think anything you have now will be gone even if you move to a different console.

I'm less hopeful they are listening to anyone's suggestions about improvement, though -- they've essentially told me as much in their response to my own ideas. Whether this means they will implement new features or improvements to solve the issues you and I see is anyone's guess (and mine would be no).

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby Modeltrainman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 pm

So much disinterest already? :shock: How? Infinity is amazing! Remember, this is the first in a series for a platform.
Avalanche Software is the best game dev!
Avalanche's #1 Fan

Lotso Rex
Modeltrainman
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby MechaSanta » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 am

please check the part about unnecessary quotes, thanks

And as stated earlier in this threads, we didn't have to choose our toys when we were kids. We chose all of them. I was a kid back in the He-Man and Transformers-days, and me and my brother used to collect as many as we could. But we also played with all of them. Add in the Ninja Turtles (or Hero Turtles, as they were called over here), G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K., and you had some really awesome stuff right there. But that's five franchises, even if we just pick one character from each. That's more than Infinity can handle, and somewhat annoying. Fortunately i've enjoyed all the playsets I've played so far, but Infinity 2 really needs to spice things up a bit. I know that won't happen for a long time, but it's time to start planning, Disney! We don't want Cap America or Iron Man or Wreck-It Ralph or Donald Duck or Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader. We want all of them at once, and then some more.
MechaSanta

Postby FelixBrownSLC » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Wow, everything all at once! Maybe if we had about ten years or a thousand people to develop it. I certainly hope this isn't the expectation we're supposed to meet, sounds exhausting! :shock:
DISCLAIMER: posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer.

Mickey
FelixBrownSLC

Postby Modeltrainman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Yeah, come on, everyone....Patience...
Avalanche Software is the best game dev!
Avalanche's #1 Fan

Lotso Rex
Modeltrainman
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby ntnon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:46 am

Addressing your initial point about not having the time to create much, and more specifically your points #2 (similarities) and #4 (not everything at once), I will offer the following from my own experience: your son probably does not share those concerns!

Similarities mean that a child can actually have a chance follow the different - and they are different - games, even if he does not read (well). The relative lack of difficulty also means that he can just play the games however he likes: wander around scaring/shooting/crashing into anything and everything for hours on end; hunting for capsules; jumping off cliffs... This ability in children (and adults! ;)) to find ways to play other than just the linear mission/success/mission/complete is an incredible draw - these games CAN last forever. True "infinity" - you can meander and ignore and dither and just enjoy.

Although I am also disappointed that you can't have everything at once - and never forget that many people won't even have the option to have everything separately, because of cost and availability - that is a GOOD thing, particularly for children. You have to choose. You have to think and consider. You have to put aside greed and desire and actually adhere to some mild form of discretion and choice. This is quite an important life skill, as well as meaning that the infinite playability is extended even further - you can't just play everything at once, you have to play it all in some order. And even then it can be a quick order - you can pull figures off and switch them over mid-game (I think), nevermind changing between playsets at the drop of a load screen.

I might like to ultimately see expanded/add-on bases where you can house, say, four figures that you can then switch between. I would dearly like to be able to play the Incredibles story as Jack Sparrow or attempt to complete 'people' missions with Cars characters, but I don't mind much that you can't. (Not least because some combinations would obviously be unworkable! Although that would be amusing in itself... have a cutaway McQueen give the player a blank look of condescension when the game calls for him to board and steer a pirate ship, for instance, would be a priceless moment even if it did stop the game in its tracks!)

You compare the game to a physical toybox, from which you can play with all toys simultaneously. I counter that 1) THIS IS A VIDEO GAME. I don't know of (m)any videogames where you can smash multiple games together and play them all side-by-side; and 2) Even if you upend your entire toybox, you only have two hands. Even if you line up a thousand toys and switch between them constantly, you can only interact so many at one time. Here, you can interact two, or you can interact with game characters, or you can wander the toy box and 'interact' with many, many characters and other elements. It is comparable. It is different, of course, but it is comparable.

This is also a game that, in theory, will never get old... and will probably become more enjoyable to a child as s/he grows up and is able to do more - and do more independently, too. Particularly when there are use-made and Disney-made creations you can enjoy in the (nearly) limitless toy box.

All that said, everything gets old after a while as you discover the limitations. With things like this, however, many of those perceived limitations can - and probably will - be addressed as time passes. Give it time, and maybe a little distance. And (if you'll forgive me slightly) don't forget to check how your son feels about it all, and how he is enjoying it as well - not just yourself. :)

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby sdp4life » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 pm

So I took some of the advice on here and walked away from the game and the boards for a while. I picked up again last night. Some of my problems still stand.

2 Player - 2 player is just bad and I think this my main problem with the game. The camera just has all kinds of problems. Again not to compare to the Lego games but they came up with a pretty good split screen idea. When you are near each other its one screen and when you get too far away it splits. It takes some getting used to but works really well.
And still many of the missions are not good for two players. Any Monsters mission that involves avoiding detection is impossible. I can't see enough the screen to even have hoped to not be seen. My son got so frustrated by being thrown in jail last time he just told me to do it. Incredibles so far has been the only one that has worked okay as two players except for the final battle with syndrome. It is just not acceptable to have so many problems with 2 players for a game of this type.

The play sets - The stories are just not cohesive enough. Even my son has mentioned this as he gets confused/lost on what to do next sometimes. I get the open world style of play but I think something as simple as making the story missions a different color indicator would help. I still find the overall gameplay to be too repetitive but for the most part my son enjoys it. Although he does get bored when consecutive missions are the same.
I get that the Toy Box is the main selling point for this game however the play sets need to be better. If I never do one thing in the toy box I should still feel like I got a complete game experience out of the play sets (ala Little Big Planet). So far this has not happened. The gameplay is just far too similar from play set to play set. My only hope for a dramatic change to this is the Cars play set. I figure there have to be races or something as part of the story.

Standalone Figures– I cannot see any reason to buy these outside of just liking the way the figures look. If the first set of figures is any indication of what is to come, I have no confidence that the stand alones do anything in the game that one of the figures I already have can’t do. So why buy them? Where is the content/incentive to buy? I may get one (Jack Skellington) just to see but I can think of any other reason to get them, please help.

Power discs – Rounds are repetitive. I see no reason to get scrooge’s disc when I already have pieces of eight. This seems poorly thought out. I have the same problem looking at the hex discs for vehicles/weapons – what do they get me that what I already have doesn’t provide? Is Dumbo a faster option then mickey’s car? Is it stronger? Why should I use it over something else? These look like nothing more than a money grab rather than game enhancements. Add-ons should expand the game not give you more of the same. This is my second biggest problem with the game, it the whole “We’re Disney so here’s our stuff now like it” vibe I get from how they planned this game. It’s almost like they said “should we have Series 2 power discs do anything different? No just put a different sticker on them, people will buy them so they have the whole set, HAHAHA”.

Contrary to some comments on here, I do not need “everything at once” but for the $200 I spent I only got like $80 worth of game. That’s a problem. Add-ons (figures/discs) are fine and I’m willing to get them for my son and I but they have to provide an enhancement to the game.

Sorry this got long again but I am frustrated by this game we were so looking forward to getting.
sdp4life

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity what would you do questions