Help! I'm losing interest!

if you are thinking of doing something and would like the opinions of others

Looking for Reasons to continue going forward

Postby sdp4life » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:55 pm

I need help finding reasons to continue on investing money in this game and any ideas/suggestions/things I'm missing would be helpful. So let me explain what I'm going through. I was excited for this game as I look for things that I can do with my son on rainy/cold days or when I'm not feeling well enough to run around with him. We love the Lego series of games and were hoping for a similar experience with Infinity. Although I like the game to a point I am having trouble finding any reason to continue. As it is right now I have everything available (all play sets, figures, power discs except tron). I was hoping that if I list out some of my issues/concerns someone out there might be able to give me reasons to keep going with this game as new things are released. I would like to point out that do to my schedule building my own toy box worlds is pretty much out of the question, I just don't have the time to do it right and my son is just a little too young to really do it on his own. I get that this was big part of the game but it's just not much of an option for me. So here we go, sorry if this gets long.

1. Playing 2 player is frustrating on the same screen. It just doesn't work well. I have trouble with the camera and the controls get funky sometimes (I've even switched controllers and still have issues). I even sent an email to Disney about how my son would respawn on the ground at the end of Incredibles and could not rejoin the fight against Syndrome. Many of the missions just do not work well with 2 players.

2. The play sets I've played are all too similar. It's all find a mission giver, complete mission, repeat. The stories are weak and disjointed at times. I had hoped because you need to play the play sets to get stuff the toy box they would be more polished. So far they are a letdown to me. The coins also seem to have no purpose once you’ve bought all the toys in a play set. Why not let me buy more spins or special toys in the toy box with all the extra coins. I finished both Incredible and Pirates with over 10000 coins left.

3. The power discs serve almost no purpose and almost no variety. The round ones all seem to have the same 3-4 adders. I don’t want to completely compare this to the Lego games but each game has 24 “cheats” that the power discs could have mimicked. For example 2x sparks or coins instead of just a “chance” for extras or how about a red capsule finder or any kind of “finder” for all those collectibles hidden around the play sets? The hex pieces bug me only because I can’t have a garage like structure in my toy box to hold all my vehicles.

4. I have all these figures/power discs so why can’t the vehicles and guys be walking around my toy box or a hub area? Sure you need to put them on the base to play them but I would like them to be around my world. In my kids toy box the toys are still there even when not using them. Why can’t Sully be there to help me when I get attacked in the toy box? I paid for the stuff I want to see it anytime even if they are not on the base. Maybe I’m missing something.

5. Why buy the extra play set figure or toy box only figures? I haven’t found any reason to have the non-starter pack guys except to be able to play two player. I know they can open the vault and the small boxes and challenges around but that’s not much content. At least they could have opened new missions or areas or something. Give me anything, I just can’t find a compelling reason to use the different figures so far. And the toy box only figures have no content from what I can tell. It’s just one special challenge in the toy box and that’s it. It’s not a lot of content for $13. At least give me a themed mini game to play. It doesn’t have to be any better than a smart phone type game and I would feel better about the purchase.

That’s it for now, please help me understand what I’m missing. Thank you.
sdp4life
Main Console: PS4

Re: Looking for Reasons to continue going forward

Postby FROZOFAN » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Unfortunately my friend, I don't think you are missing much at all. The game is pretty much exactly what you described. I'll agree the playsets can get a little boring and the stories are definitely lacking, but here a few things to consider:
1. I know you already stated this, but the Toy Box is probably the biggest draw of this game. Creating your own worlds or games is essentially the main focus here. I know what you mean about not having time to build these things, but the Toy Box is based off of freedom and user created content.
2. The playsets are a 30$ experience, and they show it. Things aren't quite polished, but there is a good amount of content for 30$. The extra character do have specific missions in the playsets but they are mostly those timed experiences rather than story missions.
3. Perhaps when your son is a little older he will be able to spend more time in the toy box to be creative, I think this could be a great learning tool for children. I can certainly see your frustrations of wanting to enjoy the experience now, but like I said, I think this is pretty much all the game will ever be. Essentially, everything you do is to make your toy box a better place, and if you can't spend your time there, the game loses much of its value.
4. I can see your points about not being able to see your physical toys within the toy box just walking around, but the whole premise of "Toy Box" is quite literal. The slogan before launch was pretty much "it's like dumping your toy bin on the floor and using your imagination to create and play". They give you the tools to make whatever you want with your toys instead of giving you a pre-determined way to play. It sounds like you were more expecting a free for all sand box experience instead of the more "minecraft" meets "little big planet" experience that it is.

rank_250
FROZOFAN
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby Kelleytoons » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:55 pm

I'd agree with all you just wrote except perhaps for (4), and only due to the fact you can only stack three disks on the platform.

It's been quite a while since I've been around kids (and MUCH longer since I've been one) but if I remember correctly most kids don't just put three toys (and two characters) out to play with at a time -- they put them ALL out. They mix them all together and that's kind of what we see in the ads, even. The limitations on how you can do this in the Toy Box are frustrating to me, and I'm a very old man. I can well understand how it would be an issue with a kid or even the parent who needs to manage their child's expectations in this.

I really think that "ownership" should have been possible to establish with the disks at least, even if it's just for that session, so you could add as many toys as you wanted to in the box. And maybe even allow you to save it that way, the same way you can get toys not on disk to save in a box and share with someone who may not have those toys in their box. Even if they didn't allow that, they surely could do what happens now with the skies and terrain disks (which are IN the toy box even though they aren't in it, really -- they can appear and be saved with that particular box just not edited). If you could put Mickey's car and then save that toy box you could have it the next time you loaded it without hunting around for that disk (or having to give up a precious slot for it).

Hopefully this is something they will address -- but I'm not all that hopeful. It has basically killed for me the whole idea of collecting disks other than terrains and skies (which I *can* save to the toy box).

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby Pyx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:51 pm

@OP I can give you some reasons I hang around. (Note I numbered my points, they have nothing to do with your original numbered points.)

1. We already bought it, we have all this stuff, take a break, come back, try it again later if needed. There may be nothing to keep us interested today, but maybe a month from now that will change.

2. Shared Toyboxes. You don't have time, but others do. We haven't even seen what the player community has submitted yet. Have had a few Disney ones, but I still have hopes to see some really cool stuff down the line. Doesn't hurt to keep your eye out and see what comes out in the next few months. I have read about horse race tracks, bat caves, old gauntlet video game style games, lots to look forward to, and interesting to see what people come up with.

3. PC/IPAD editors. These aren't out yet, at least hang around and see if there is anything good here. I'm hopeful they can fix some of the shortcomings of the in game editor here. Maybe, maybe not, but worth a look. Might also be an option that makes it easier for you to create in the toybox. I don't know if having access to an editor on PC/IPAD would make a difference for you or not, but if it does, that's another reason to hang around.

4. Jack Skellington

5. This community is great. You have the PS3 version, get with PirateSteven and get the dragon gate. Make friends here to play online with, you can get up to 4 people together in an online game. Hopefully once people start making toybox submissions and the game gets its legs it will be easy to get into an online game with people who have your same interests. The tools for people to meet up and play together are already on the site, and the community is growing every day.

rank_100
Pyx
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby Agent C » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:47 am

I certainly can understand where you are coming from on this. I really do think once the user created content starts releasing, you will get the opportunity to see some very good stuff.

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Flynn. » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:19 am

I too, am worried. I don't want to spend all this money, without the game being as up to standard as possible.

rank_50
Flynn.

Postby FelixBrownSLC » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:43 am

Franchises evolve, adjustments are made, improvements are implemented. This is just the beginning!
DISCLAIMER: posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer.

Mickey
FelixBrownSLC

Postby Agent C » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:50 am

I think it is important to note, Disney is looking at this as a platform. I could be completely off, but when I hea that, I am thinking that they are wanting to create a product line that could be used without the need of any other property. An example would be that I bought a Wii I and in theory, I would never need anything besides Infinity. I'm hoping that in the future we may get a side scrolling at former or a top-down Zelda style adventure. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Kelleytoons » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:07 pm

I understand what you are saying and at first I thought that it would be doable with just new figures and playsets but pretty obviously that's not the case.

So in one sense this is indeed a platform -- the platform itself (<g>) as well as the figures will be usable throughout DI. However, clearly we are going to need new code and that's where DI2 (or whatever they call it) will come in. They will have to release a new disk full of code that somehow preserves all the old stuff and adds new. The former may not be possible, so it may well be a case of "if you want to use your old playsets you'll need to put in the old disk" but I suspect at the least the Toy Boxes will be supported.

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Next

Return to Disney Infinity what would you do questions