Help! I'm losing interest!

if you are thinking of doing something and would like the opinions of others

Re: Help! I'm losing interest!

Postby Nibelilt » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:55 pm

@ntnon Unfortunately, I think your last point #2 is why I'm just not much enthusiastic about the game any more. I'm not expecting something super unlimited, but I do want much more from this game because I've put a lot into it. It's just I have so many things I feel can substitute that feeling of having toys everywhere and doing whatever you want with them better. I know I sound really neg., but I DO enjoy Infinity a lot... I just feel like even with how much I put into it that I can't enjoy it, and I'm also somewhat disappointed because it just "felt" like it would capture that magic. I don't think I really have a desire to explain that better right now because I'm really tired, though.

But as for point #1, personally, to me, it's more like "tried it and just not enjoying it". If a sequel looks like it will really improve on a lot of things I didn't like I'll be checking it out, and I'm definitely going to watch the brand to see what comes out of it. I think I just fall into a strange group which isn't a longtime Disney fan, which makes the game lose a lot of the charm it has, and wants something that isn't Minecraft-level, but is more complex than what we have now.

Back on track, I know we've been discussing the game, but does anyone have more suggestions on what I could do? I'm probably going to sell it and see if any future entries interest me like was suggested before, but if nobody else has any ideas I may as well get this locked because it's just turning into a duplicate of this topic. :lol:
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby altiareagle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Why don't you just have a mod merge them? Seems reasonable if its needed. :roll:
Kinda tired.
Chat with me If you're tired too.

rank_1500
altiareagle
Location: Cushing, Texas. Where the coyotes wail and there isn't a steakhouse. Or Steak.
Main Console: PS3

Re: Looking for Reasons to continue going forward

Postby Pyx » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 pm

The following tweet bothered me the other day.
https://twitter.com/DisneyInfinity/stat ... 0319266816
"For generations, Disney has told the stories. Now it’s your turn with @DisneyInfinity. Order now: http://di.sn/tG1"

We can't create stories, we can build worlds, and some limited gameplay, but "creating stories" is missing. It bothered me that this was being used as a selling point, when so many of us bought the game for this and it is missing. I loved the LR and PotC playsets, and the Toybox is fun for building, but just hoped for and expected more.

I do hope development considers this feedback. Disney has a long history of creating content for kids, that adults enjoy, and they have been around long enough that no matter how old you are, you might just be a die hard Disney fan from when you were a kid, right @Kellytoons? :)

rank_100
Pyx
PSN ID:

Postby ntnon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:05 pm

rank_500
ntnon

Postby ntnon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:11 pm

rank_500
ntnon

Postby Kelleytoons » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Well, I see exactly what Pyx is getting at. Telling stories is *exactly* what the Playsets do, and the glaring difference between them and what you can do in the Toy Box just points out what is missing.

And that wouldn't be undercutting anything -- giving us just a few more tools to do the same things (or nearly the same) as you can do in the playsets would only drive MORE sales (of figures and in particular, of those without their own playsets). I suspect a whole lot of people are going to get to the same point of "what? There is no (insert character here) playset going to be made? Why should I buy the figure then?"

I would have thought none of it was possible had I not done a little more exploring and seen the alternatives (and I've never even seen Minecraft but I understand how it works). Perhaps DI will evolve into the sort of game that allows you to create stories worth playing. Or it may always stay in the "arcade" mode. If the latter I suspect it will then sink down into a much lower age group (and there's nothing wrong with that, just not for me and I suspect for a whole lot of others as well).

rank_250
Kelleytoons
Main Console: PS4

Postby sdp4life » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:23 pm

@goofyspaceranger – I am jealous you were able to get into game design. I would have loved to been able to do that but that path never came my way and I am a terrible programmer. I have tried and just suck.

Anyway to respond to your toy box/play set point. The point I have been trying to make is if the point of the game is to create your own worlds in the toy box then you need stuff to do it. Whether it be earning spins through gold stars or finding capsules you need to play the play sets to get the tools to populate/build your worlds. Therefore the play sets need to be a complete game experience that can be enjoyed independently and they are not (for the most part). By total game experience I mean the following: solid gameplay (including cameras, multiplayer setup, etc.), cohesive story (I can deal with a bad story as long as it’s consistent), and expanded content (collectibles, trophies/achievements, Easter eggs). Little Big Planet has done this successfully twice. In those games you never need to create anything and you get a complete experience playing the provided game levels. Infinity only does the expanded content well.
Infinity had a unique opportunity to provide a variety of game play options through the different play sets and instead provided the same gameplay with a different paint job for each play set. I hope this is different for the Cars play set since you are playing with cars the mechanics have to be different. At the very least by providing different styles of play (sidescroller, level based, racing, sports, etc) they could “show off” what you can create in the toy box. After trying the terrible Mario side scroller I think that the create tools they have are not very good. Maybe I’m spoiled by some of the outstanding games users created in Little Big Planet 2 (first person, 3rd person, overhead camera, etc) and now I expect games that have a building aspect to have the same level of detail.

And no I do not have a lot of time invest in building in the toy box. If I can’t build something I feel is good then I would rather spend my time on something else and creating in toy box requires time I don’t have right now. We limit the amount of time my son can play video games especially since there are so many more ways to play games now and I have younger son who can’t play video games I need to make sure I play with as well. So for now we play the stories, when we finish those we will see. My 5 year old is not big into “building”. When he plays he tells stories, directs where others (this could be people or his toys depending) should be to tell that story, and will set up what is needed to tell that story. However he is not big on his own “vision” by that I mean he wants the Legos to look like what’s on the box. He doesn’t want to make a six wheeled car or bi-plane; he wants his toys to look like the box. He is very good at puzzles/problem solving, math and things like that but creativity and reading not so much. I am hopefully a steady dose of art class in school will help and maybe when we are done with the play sets he’ll start to want to do that more in infinity. Winter is coming, we need more inside activities.

The other issue I have is the additional content. Give me a reason to play as different characters. They should have different abilities, powers, weapons, etc. I can get the same experience as Sully as I can as Randal or Mike. So why buy extra figures? If I want to build a race track in the toy box (something I think I would have time to do) and I want to have Mike’s car, mickey’s car, Cinderella’s coach, and Abu I can’t because only 3 discs can be on the base. I really do want to build but limits are killing my desire. I paid for power discs and toys I want to be able to load them into a toy box world and use them for my world. I want Jack, Sully, & Mr. incredible all on the screen at one time to tell my story and I can’t. Heck at this point I would settle for being able to have 2 figures on the base I can switch between while playing single player. And I really want an improved 2 player experience – still my biggest issue. If this worked at least as well as a Lego game or any racing game we would be having way more fun.

I am glad to know I am not the only person on here who is experiencing these frustrations.
sdp4life

Postby sdp4life » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 pm

ntnon - 20 years ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly games are not stories. Most games then had a simple story, save the princess or beat the bad guys. Now most games are almost interactive stories. Even sports games have been adding story elements to their modes. I will play games like uncharted or assassin's creed solely because they hooked me with the stories they are telling early (I didn't care for a lot of the AC3 gameplay but I needed to know the story). Even little big planet allowed you to have text bubbles to explain your game or tell a simple story in create mode.
sdp4life

Postby Nibelilt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:27 am

^ I thought about that, but I feel that topic is more about discussing the game. This topic was made to fit more into this forum's use: "if you are thinking of doing something and would like the opinions of others".

Anyway, I can't think of any more suggestions and I really like @tangled&tron's suggestion, so I'll get this topic locked.
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity what would you do questions