Christmas: will Disney Infinity wipe out skylanders?

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Re: Christmas: will Disney Infinity wipe out skylanders?

Postby Rapunzel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:51 pm

I bought both Skylanders and Skylanders Giants, however I won't be being Swap Force. After two games I can only name about 4 of the characters whereas I know who all of the Disney Characters are. This alone is enough reason for me to get Disney Infinity instead.
I also like the fact that there is infinite fun with the Toy Box even if you only get the starter pack. Skylanders felt like you needed one character from each element before you could complete some of the (repetitive) levels.
I don't know if Disney Infinity will wipe out Swap Force, but I think it will take a good portion of Swap Force's audience.

rank_100
Rapunzel
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Sleepy0429 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Well what we have here is.
On a skylanders site: http://forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewpo ... opic=84599
On DI site: dis so yeah maybe they are tied?
Need Unused Randall code!
Figment for Infinity!

rank_100
Sleepy0429
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Nibelilt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Ultimately whichever one manages to stay newer to consumers for longer will stick around for more time as this model of game needs that to survive and feel worth the investment
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Sleepy0429 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Skylanders is prob gonna win though.
Need Unused Randall code!
Figment for Infinity!

rank_100
Sleepy0429
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Nibelilt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:15 am

I don't mean to be rude, but I can't take that very seriously. Don't jump to conclusions just because Skylanders is your preference.

Size: Yes, Skylanders has been around for longer and has a bigger fanbase than Infinity at the moment, but the first game for Infinity isn't even out yet and it's almost as big as the SL fandom right now. Someone posted a topic a which ago about Infinity's Facebook page gaining popularity and it was only about 1000 points less. Remember, Skylanders has been around for two years but Infinity is already almost as big, and we've only known about it for 5 months. It's not reasonable to assume that they will end up with similarly-sized fandoms assuming both grow at the same rate, Infinity is likely to beat Skylanders in terms of user base(unless something goes terribly wrong for Disney, or Acti manage to pull an "And The Fandom [And Non-Fans] Rejoiced" moment of pure win somehow).

Grosses: As long as both make profits they will continue

Longevity: Here's the one part that I think one pounds the other into the ground like a stake with a shovel. You can already guess. Skylanders is a great series. Don't get me wrong. But it simply gets old too fast, all the games besides 3DSSA bored me by the end of their years. All it is is a dungeon crawler. Disney Infinty is an action-platformer game, stealth game, adventure game, and sandbox all in one right out of the box. Swap Force seems to alleviate this with the new Turbo Zones, but from what's been shown they aren't looking very impressive yet- they look tiny like elemental gates, not true game changers. Plus, an overwhelming majority of Skylanders can't play them. Infinity gives you basically three games from the start as well as a potentially endless sandbox to make your own games in, and it gives you entire games from all kinds of genres, not teensy bonus areas like Skylanders. Cars and The Lone Ranger look far different from anything else Infinity offers- say what you want about Adventure Packs but they are just new levels, with the same gameplay, for $10 more I know which I would pick. Plus, Infinity has online mode. You get to make your own games and share them and download other people's games. Seriously, even if someone hated Infinity, I don't see how they can argue that Skylanders would have more content in the Starter than Infinity reasonably.

I know that I sound totally biased to Infinity, but I honestly can't think of an aspect where Skylanders could beat it besides pricing, but even then I'd personally pay much more for an experience I'd prefer much more. This is all my opinion, of course. As a Skylanders fan (which doesn't mean ignoring glaring flaws it has) Swap Force has failed to excite me while Infinity regularly causes my jaw to drop and break off. I'm not even a very big Disney/Pixar fan, Infinity just looks like a better experience to me.

But we're not game analysts, we should just agree to disagree, enjoy the games we want to and skip the games that we don't, instead of constantly debating about them. This kind of argument is why the frigin CONSOLE WARS are a thing! This entire debate is pointless anyway, the Infinity V Skylanders across the 'net annoy me so much just because they're all dog-slapping and nothing more but people keep making a very exaggerated deal out of it. They play totally differently, and that's what's important... Seriously, pick whatever you want and stop being so concerned over which will "win".

Again, I don't mean to be rude, but I just checked that dS topic and the majority of the arguments there seem to be overly biased with no thought put into them, which fires me up... Healthy debate is fine even if you are biased but you should back your opinion up reasonably instead of screaming that your side is "better". Again, CONSOLE WARS, the suckiest thing since video games.
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Agent C » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:49 pm

I really think there is room in this area for both. The games look the same on the surface, but they will play a lot different. I really think that user created content will be what keeps people coming back to Infinity. Skylanders has a very large following, and the new generation sees the characters from Skylanders on the same level as they do the characters from Disney. Before you disagree, take a look at the theaters. Monsters University will not outperform Despicable Me 2. The reason? There was three years between the two movies, and there was over a decade between the two Monster movies. There are a lot of kids attatched to their Skylanders. My kids made sure the character they liked the most made it to the room with them every night before bed. While most of us on this board have spent years with Disney characters most of the kids playing Infinity will not have spent any more time with them than they have Skylanders.

As for the glutton on the market, I don't see Angry Birds hanging around. I think Pokemon had a shot, but Nintendo went about it all wrong. They rushed it. They kept it out of the main Pokemon story line. I just think they came off as a company looking for a money grab. I mean the price point is nice, but I think the finished product is going to suffer. I really do hope there is room for two. I think I will enjoy both. My wallet won't, and my wife won't, but I think the kids and I will.

On a side note, I have to admit I am a little worried about Swap Force. I know the new portal was essential for the technology, but I wonder if the general public will view it that way.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby FROZOFAN » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:10 am

I think the short term success of DI will be based solely on how it's marketed. It also has a lot to compete with this holiday season. True, while its technically software, I would consider the high price point and the Base Portal something like hardware and remember the big 2 pieces of hardware coming in November will be ps4 and Xbox one. Simply put, any child asking for one of those will undoubtedly not be getting DI along with it. Now, if disney leads the charge with its heavy marketing (I'm sure it will because of all the properties they own that can advertise it) I think DI and DI figures will be very sought after toys. Especially if the kids who want a new console don't have parents that can afford one, in this case 74.99 for a starter kit sounds like a blessing when compared to 400 or 500 + games and accessories. As far as skylanders goes, they might take a little hit when DI first launches but I am positive that in the long run, the franchise will continue to be very profitable. Regardless of what game it is, toys + video games = a butt ton of money. I can only imagine how great these things would have been if they were around when I was a kid.

rank_250
FROZOFAN
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby shhhh » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:41 am

It will not wipe out Skylanders. I think they will both share the market pretty evenly.
shhhh
Main Console: PS3

Postby Agent C » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:39 am

I think like everything else it comes back to game play and story. Activision has done a real good job with the story side of Skylanders. The gameplay fits the audience it is entended for. As long as they do that, they will continue to be successful. I do feel they may have shot themselves in the foot needing the new base. They would have enjoyed a lower price point with some people who could only afford one of the two.

Infinity, on the surface, is everything a kid would want. If this plays like they say it will play, this game could be amazing. I just can't imagine this not being successful. Parents go nuts over skylanders. I can't imagine what the will do with Disney. I think there is plenty of room for both.

I actually think other games following this toy/game format could be successful if done right. I really do think Nintendo completely dropped the ball on the Pokemon series. Most of the time they get it. This time they just didn't. Does anyone remember M.U.S.C.L.E.S? I think that you could do something similar to this in a wrestling game type format. The Looney Tunes are do some new games.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions