Methods of Learning & Marketing

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Methods of Learning & Marketing

Postby goofyspaceranger » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:02 pm

We now have several formats of Toy Box Clubs:
- Hour-of-Code (example: THINK Exhibit event in Epcot)
- Seasonal Library program (example: Poughkeepsie Library, in the midst of our 2nd session)
- High School after-school club (example: Excelsior P-Tech school)
- College-hosting Summer Tech Camp (example(s) coming up later this year 8-) )

And as it turns out, the best format is for kids to build at home. The pyschology of problem-solving is about the investment of time. Thanks to the efforts of the Disney Infinity Team, their product is now the top seller in the toys-to-life genre. Kids have this game, and they have much more time at home than any structured STEM event. These other formats are still important, because they're kick-starters, providing structured learning options for kids to see what the Toy Box can do, and to see what they can do with that Toy Box. But it's how they spend their time at home that is most important.

In our attempts to serve under-privileged kids to find problem-solving fun, there's the wonderful ability for the WiiU, Xbox, & PlayStation consoles to all support YouTube videos. And with a couple more tutorial Toy Boxes, I can cover the entire set of Creativi-Toys. Then I can create a handbook of Creativi-Toy interfaces that can cross-reference the tutorial example for each one, and have a corresponding #ToyBoxTutorial on the Community DB to play through. Maybe they get a hardcopy from one of these events, or they can just download a free copy from the IBM ODC Activity Kit, but it will provide them another avenue for learning. Maybe they learn enough from the Toy Box Hub, or from other fan videos, or from posts on this great fan site, but maybe they need a little more. Maybe they need an interactive Toy Box with video walkthroughs. Maybe their parents need to see how the IBM brand recognizes the educational value of another company's product. The more methods of learning there are, the greater number of kids you reach - to find the fun in problem-solving, to discover the magic of the Toy Box.

So I find myself volunteering to extend this IBM citizenship activity kit, and to market the Disney Infinity product on all platforms. It doesn't cost either company much at all, since it's largely personal time - not just mine, but that of my fellow IBM volunteers as well. IBM corporate citizenship has really helped in funding our pilots, and I'm very thankful for that, too. And hopefully, someone in the Walt Disney Company will allow us the privilege to redesign the written portion of our Activity Kit with Toy Box snapshots. They can vet every picture, every sentence, every semi-colon ;). We want to provide that additional learning vehicle, and we want it to be fun. 8-)