Swords over Axes & the Absence of Royalty

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Swords over Axes & the Absence of Royalty

Postby goofyspaceranger » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:58 am

I'm thankful for the kind words from this community (twitter extension) on the Battlegrounds Boardgame draft, and I've updated my "It's In The Cards" post yet again on the overall Disney Infinity card deck proposal. In this post I'll risk getting a little nit-picky on the skill trees...

I have not understood why the axe was chosen for the melee icon. It's just that the icon of a sword seems more... chivalrous, and iconic ;). As much as these stats would look great on a stack of Disney Infinity cards, sword & shield lend themselves much better than axe & shield. It's an emotional thing, but it feels better for this family-based game.

And if the Disney Infinity Team considers a deck of Toy Box Game Making cards for the future (I hope so), they'd probably want it to be multi-purpose. They need to be usable for traditional card games, too. But it's probably best to pass on the ranks of Jacks, Queens, Kings, & Aces. It over-emphasizes an importance for characters where everyone has their favorite. Balancing the Battleground classes stats was challenging enough - imagine having to choose a ranking among Disney characters :roll:. Start the count at 1 instead of 2 and just keep going. So they relate more to the character collection. You can still have 4 suits by splitting Pixar from Disney (Marvel & Star Wars being the other two). And they don't need to have the same maximum number; to play a traditional card game you simply leave out the cards you don't need. So each card would have the RPG/strategy stats, as well as a suit & rank/collection#, where the collection # can keep getting higher.

That would be the nature of this big collection of Disney Infinity cards - the imagery of these toy versions of Disney characters, and of the Terrain themes, of the Tools & Packs, to extend the game-making creativity to physical card & boardgames - that would be fun. From a marketing perspective, just as the physical figures provide visual reminders of your favorite video game, so would these cards; and many of the resulting boardgames would lend themselves to larger figure collections and therefore enhance those collections' value. 8-)
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Swords over Axes & the Absence of Royalty

Postby jeffgoobs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm guessing that an axe was chosen as the icon mainly because in silhouette form, an axe is far more distinguishable than a sword is. A sword, depending on the type, could easily be misinterpreted as another item due to its ambiguously straight shape. (I know there are cross guards and such, but since the game was designed to be played on a variety of platforms and screen sizes with a range of graphics resolutions, they probably rounded up, and decided to choose a weapon that has no chance of being confused with another item.)

rank_0
jeffgoobs
Disney ID:

Re: Swords over Axes & the Absence of Royalty

Postby goofyspaceranger » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:05 pm

^ You are probably right. And in hindsight, it's more readily distinguishable from the lightsaber abilities.

And coincidentally that was my 750th post on these forums, so that I have the Rex logo - much fun 8-)
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions