National Teachers' Day & Imaginary Board Games

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

National Teachers' Day & Imaginary Board Games

Postby goofyspaceranger » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:45 am

EDIT (both title & content): many

Today (May 3rd) is National Teachers' Day in the U.S.

Since Disney Infinity's announcement back in January of 2013, I have been interested in the educational value of the Toy Box. And like so many other fans on these forums, I've been posting on various ways that the product can be even better. Sure, I have a handful of favorite Disney characters like anyone else, but there are many other factors toward this Disney product's ongoing sustainability - factors like infrastructure, database design, programming constructs, theming options, multi-platform pricing, Disney park showcasing, and yes, even board games. All of the risk is Disney's - the investment is theirs, and they have the sales stats & the experience to make the best investments. This is just a fan's brainstorming exercise on what I find fun. My perspective is this - the longer this franchise thrives, the greater its educational impact can be. That is what drives this tow Mater truck ;) - that, and that the design process itself is really fun.

@BadGamer had tweeted about starting a second Marvel figure collection for a strategy game - and I thought of creating a Disney Infinity Battlegrounds board game. I've recently heard from a couple educators on topics like gamification & early STEM exercises before virtual programming environments, and it made me think of strategy board games in general. I've also heard from several parents at toy stores on the huge number of toys-to-life figures they've collected - the biggest impediment, it seems, to them buying more - which is critical to Disney Infinity sales. The physical, visible nature of these figures is what makes toys-to-life great - and Disney Infinity's artistry & character recognition is a differentiator. What if a physical extension of the Toy Box - through designable game board pieces & cards - could provide more value, encouraging large collections of figures that could be enjoyed by 2,3,4, sometimes even 5 or 6 players at a time. From Toy Box video game design to Toy Box board game design - that would be cool.

The proposal is for 4 kits, 1 of each Disney Infinity brand - Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars. There are six example game designs listed (there can be many more). Each game can be played with any of the 4 kits, and each game is better with multiple kits.

The following threads have been renamed, reworked, multiple times over the past couple weeks, to mitigate the volume & minimize post bumps (I'll probably keep refining/reworking them). These first two are on suggested kit contents:
- Disney Infinity Toy Box Board & Card Games
- Never Get Bored With Board Games - Every Game's A Puzzle ;)

Threads for Example Board Games:
- Toy Box Tales
- Toy Box Checkpoint Mystery
- Toy Box Takeover
- Toy Box Battlegrounds
- Toy Box Explorers
- Toy Box Kingdom Quest
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Value of the Single Player Board Game

Postby MightyGitis » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:56 pm

"That is eight threads about imaginary board games. Ah ha ha"

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID: