Go Figure - Is Something A-Foot?

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Go Figure - Is Something A-Foot?

Postby goofyspaceranger » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:05 pm

Avalanche Software has officially closed & Infinity will never be the same. :( Whatever happens, very grateful for the experience that the team made possible. Best Wishes.

Still, things get curiouser & curiouser. The idea may seem crazy to everybody else, but the continued leaks of what-could-have-been seem almost systematic. Probably coincidence, but remotely possibly stealth marketing ;) - to secure a new licenser, or to help early promotion of what an-already secured licenser prior to an announcement. Regardless, IF the Toy Box reboots, it makes sense that it didn't happen yet - there would need to be an agreeed cutover regarding sales - and with their enormous investment it stands to reason the Walt Disney Company would want to recover revenue from whatever distribution it financed - especially true if the reboot would be all-digital. All of this coverage on the taller figures does fuel more interest in figures sales. I must admit - I have not understood Crystal figures, or glowing lightsaber figures, or these taller-more-detailed-figures at all. How do they fit in the overall premise & storyline of toys in a Toy Box? To me, if the weakest point of your business model is dependence on players purchasing lots of figures, how does it help to have multiple variations of the same character with nearly the same game experience? The marketing team has the sales stats & they know better - I freely acknowledge that I am an atypical customer ;).

Aside from the studio employees themselves & affected partners, I do believe the cancellation has affected the Toy Box Master Artists the most. It has been clear from social media that it is not just the greater investment of their time, or the greater artistry & creativity of what they made, or the Summits that solidified the extension of their Disney Cast Membership. It seems to be about all of those factors rolled up into a circle of community, a sense of friendship surrounding the love of the franchise. Certainly not presuming to speak for them; that's just how it seems to me, and I think all of the fans on these forums have great respect for their contributions & their greater sense of loss.

With regard to the reboot, it's worthwhile to consider that - there are less than 50 (?) Master Artists, yet there are millions of players. How do you showcase the Master Artists further, and how do you scale that sense of belonging, that sense of community, to the vastly greater number of players? It's about recognizing that community has been the greatest aspect of the Toy Box - so focus on that & make it better. That's why it would be cool to see an Avatar from every Master Artist, to free that avatar in order to unlock a dynamic playlist that showcases each Master's Works. That's why it would be cool for any player to be able to "follow" a friend in a custom playlist of their Toy Boxes, to track how many Toy Boxers "follow" yours - it encourages creative building & sharing - an strengthens a reboot storyline of Apprenticeship to rebuild the Toy Box. A customized Toy Box content menu would include the type of games/abilities/character you like, but also the friends & Masters Works you admire - that would make the Disney Infinity Toy Box Community even stronger.

And if sales of 12" figures help sustain that new business model - Go Figure ;)

#SaveDisneyInfinity
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Go Figure - Is Something A-Foot?

Postby Paradox » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:22 pm

I'm for savedisneyinfinity but not at the expense of selling reposes of figures we have already, in 12" versions, to bring it back. That is not a business model I'd support/would have supported in any way, shape or form.

rank_deputy
Paradox

Postby rogpalmeruk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:26 pm

I just think it's a case of a single or many ex employees sharing what they had been working on...

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Romulus77 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:44 pm

The only thing systematic about these reveals is the desire for increased traffic. All this was disclosed at once in the Kotaku piece. The pictures are just being drip fed to drum up more clicks.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby goofyspaceranger » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:20 am

Admittedly it can be problematic to know true intentions. Time will tell.

But if they do reboot Infinity, the incremental sharing of the visuals may help market the new licenser's launch.

Initially I thought fully-digital subscriptions would be the best chance / business model to reboot the Toy Box. Now I'm wondering if it could be in combination with figure sales. What's their profit margin per figure I wonder? Might the price of the figures drop slightly to accommodate a new charge to Community Content? That would provide them an ongoing, predictable revenue stream regardless of additional figure sales, yet still see increases for those figure sales. It would also drive the focus on where the value is - both the community & the physical RFID-toting works of art :).

Still leaves the digital character pricing in flux - if a digital price included both PC & mobile usage, that would be much better.
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions