How often do you plan to let your child play?

practical parenting gaming discussions

How often do you plan to let your child play?

Postby paulyp1919 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 am

How much do you let your child interact digitally?

I think I am asking, because I have been bad in limiting it. Between Smartphone\Tablet\3ds how do you limit your kids? (Ages to please)

I feel I let my 3yo run rampant while I watch my 1yo daughter.

rank_0
paulyp1919
Main Console: PS4
XBL ID:

Re: How often do you plan to let your child play?

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:04 am

Tablet, smartphone but we normally only get educational kids apps. Anything to keep my 4yo busy while dealing with the almost 2yo. To be fair she prefers to colour and put real puzzles together, playing with her assortment of toy and cuddly cats. She does insist on ruling over the TV, usually wanting Phineas and Ferb or The Incredibles whether she pays attention to it or not.

Closest she's got to "real games" (to me) is playing Sonic on a smartphone, which isn't easy which touch controls.
She likes to watch me play Sonic Generations because he runs FAST.

Hoping Disney Infinity will be fun for both of us, with a younger sibling feels like we're always trying to calm her down (mother's patience, father's pendanticness), she can't wait for Agent P, but she also likes Violet from Incredibles, so since the figures have unique levels (and not sure how careful she'll be with it), I got a Violet specially for her,

Have to find a "nice" way to label it as hers.
Biggest problem is getting her to leave figures on the base I think.
Daring Air Operations Expert
Have Disney Infinity on: Xbox 360 | PS3 | Wii U

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby paulyp1919 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:27 am

So how many minutes per day do you feel is safe?

Obviously from my avatar I am big PnF fan!

rank_0
paulyp1919
XBL ID:

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 am

I don't believe in absolute specifics, every kid is going to be different, no one knows your child like you do, trust your gut.
If you're worried they're getting square eyes, it's time to put it down, play with toys, do a puzzle, play outside if its nice.

Kids love so many things, easily distracted with something else, however like me with two, the youngest still having naps and a bit wobbly (if walking at all, dome crawl for the longest time) makes group activities tricky, weather is a factor too. Too cold and youngest lips turn purple fairly quick, too hot and worried she'll overheat.

When the youngest gets a bit older, things should get easier.

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby monochrom » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:03 pm

So far we didn't really need any rules. My daughter is interested in loads of stuff, so we read a lot, we paint together, we play games, puzzles, Lego and so on. So we didn't really have to cut down the time we spend in front of screens. The moment she wants to much of that, we stop turning on screens for some days, which seems to work quite well. And my girlfiend is even stricter than me, so I don't woory too much about these issues.

rank_50
monochrom
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby paulyp1919 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:13 am

^Yeah, my wife is the strict one as well. Always worried about eye sight.

I always find with my 3yo he will forget about it after a couple of days when we limit something and not ask anymore.

rank_0
paulyp1919
XBL ID:

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Being into computers, video games and TV, I've had my eyes focused on screens majority of my life, never needed glasses, perfect score on eyesight (was a few years ago now), so not worried about eyesight.

Except when she sits right in front of it, that's annoying and while immersive is likely not good for focussing.

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby PirateSteven » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 pm

I only let my 5 year old play on Saturdays, but with college football coming up I feel I may need to do some video game time rearranging. If he gets all of his homework done, bath, dressed for bed, etc. then he may earn some playing time on week nights. We are starting a rewards program for doing well in school and being well behaved which will earn him power discs for earning enough stars.

rank_deputy_ftb_10_lenny
PirateSteven
PSN ID:

Postby Agent C » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:45 am

My wife and I go back and forth on this. Most of he times we do not agree. I grew up playing games. She didn't. I think that the games are fine so long as one, they do not hinder school work, and two, they get a healthy amount of outdoor play as well. Beyond that, I'd rather be playing a game than watching TV. Play 60 all the way.

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity gaming parents